JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have to echo Hueco's comment about this thread of gold! I'm in the midst of a similar build with similar intentions, and seemingly similar previous experience. Thank you to all who have shared their hard earned knowledge!

I had a related question or two.

Is it better to have the BCG and the barrel from the same manufacturer?

Is the report and recoil considerably different between a 16" and an 18"?

Leaning towards the 18 to make it an easier shooter for the kids and wife. Yet the kids like to shoot the shotguns so maybe they don't really care. Only thoughts toward the 16" is that it seems easier to carry around and wouldn't be so long if I ever get a stamp and can.

oops, posted above by accident, fat fingered something..... hadn't finished what's below....

Barrel and BCG, I'm considering:

Aero barrel - 18" .223 Wylde Fluted Stainless Steel Barrel, Rifle Length

Wilson Combat - Match Grade Barrel, .223 Wylde, Urban Super Sniper, 18", 1-8 Twist, Stainless, Fluted, Threaded

Third, Faxon - Match Series- 18" Heavy Fluted, .223 Wylde, Rifle-Length, 416R, Nitride, 5R, Nickel Teflon Extension

The BCG:

FAXON FIREARMS - M16 BOLT CARRIER GROUP 5.56 MIL-SPEC

Leaning towards the Aero barrel mostly because of price yet I like the Wilson Combat and don't mind paying the difference if it's a more accurate barrel.

Building this with an Aero upper and lower, and most likely an Aero hand guard.

Last Edited:
Have to echo Hueco's comment about this thread of gold! I'm in the midst of a similar build with similar intentions, and seemingly similar previous experience. Thank you to all who have shared their hard earned knowledge!

I had a related question or two.

Leaning towards the 18 to make it an easier shooter for the kids and wife. Yet the kids like to shoot the shotguns so maybe they don't really care. Only thoughts toward the 16" is that it seems easier to carry around and wouldn't be so long if I ever get a stamp and can.

oops, posted above by accident, fat fingered something..... hadn't finished what's below....

Wilson Combat - Match Grade Barrel, .223 Wylde, Urban Super Sniper, 18", 1-8 Twist, Stainless, Fluted, Threaded

Third, Faxon - Match Series- 18" Heavy Fluted, .223 Wylde, Rifle-Length, 416R, Nitride, 5R, Nickel Teflon Extension

The BCG:

Leaning towards the Aero barrel mostly because of price yet I like the Wilson Combat and don't mind paying the difference if it's a more accurate barrel.

My first upper build I used an Aero upper and also used an Aero lower receiver. I used the Spikes's Tactical lower parts set and used a Magpul MOE K2 grip instead. I bought a Spike's tactical 16" chromed line barrel, a Troy Industries MLOK hand guard, Magpul adjustable buttstock.

I bought a Magpul light mount, MLOK QD sling mount, and a ambidextrous sling attachment point QD. I have choice to use a single point or a two now. I am usingb a BCM BCG in my AR. The only upgrade was a CMC 3.5lb curved drop in trigger.

I bought back in 2018 I believe on Black Friday so I bought quite of stuff on sale.

Some will preach that, although the AR barrel with its barrel extension, is a different animal in that headspace is set by the barrel maker. Personally, I would not worry about it.

I don't think so.

I'm not a fan of the 18" and with "rifle length gas system" you are giving up 2" of "dwell".
Rifle gas was designed around the 20" rifle barrel.
However, 3-Gunners like 18" for their gamer guns.

My take on best barrel lengths and gas system length combos :
14.5" - Carbine Gas
16" - Mid Gas
20" - Rifle Gas

The BCG:

In this market I would grab a nice ToolCraft BCG and walk away happy.

For barrel price-performance sweet spot, I would also look at :
Ballistic Advantage (I think they make Aero barrels)
Rock River (RRA barrels are by Wilson Arms, very accurate barrels)
AR Performance (accurate, Melonited 5R barrels)

Good luck with build

Just started the build tonight and found the front takedown pin to be as much a punk as everyone said. I had some 1/4" dowels from a woodworking project leftover and found that a 3/32" drill bit was perfect for the detent size - just a hair snug so that it was held in with some friction but otherwise could be pushed through.

So, put a hole in the dowel about 1/4" in. Push detent through the dowel and into its hole with a small Allen wrench. Twist dowel to keep the detent in place. Remove dowel while sliding pin in over the top. Easy-peasy.

I'm sure someone sells a tool that probably one ups this, but hey, if you've got a dowel handy, this made life easier.

Just started the build tonight and found the front takedown pin to be as much a punk as everyone said. I had some 1/4" dowels from a woodworking project leftover and found that a 3/32" drill bit was perfect for the detent size - just a hair snug so that it was held in with some friction but otherwise could be pushed through.

So, put a hole in the dowel about 1/4" in. Push detent through the dowel and into its hole with a small Allen wrench. Twist dowel to keep the detent in place. Remove dowel while sliding pin in over the top. Easy-peasy.

I'm sure someone sells a tool that probably one ups this, but hey, if you've got a dowel handy, this made life easier.

I have this tool. I have several springs go missing and I have not found them the yet.

AR15 PIVOT PIN TOOL – REAL AVID®

Last Edited:
I have this tool. I have several springs go missing and I have not found the yet.

AR15 PIVOT PIN TOOL – REAL AVID®

Ah, that's fancy ;)

4FD591E3-F1E3-42D3-90C1-563B5ED4AEFB.jpeg

A 1/4" hitch pin is what many use.
You just made the same thing out of wood.

Aluminum pivot pin ?

I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread!

This is my rifle; there are many like it, but this one is mine:

(yes, the hand guard is not all the way on, but it's the only full length image I've got right now)
IMG_7940.JPG

IMG_8068.jpg

IMG_8069.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews