JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided to jump into this pool and am looking at building as much of a precision rifle as I can build. I've acquired my first part, a Seekins sp223 lower receiver and am getting together the build list for the rest of it. When I say precision, I mean I'm going to be on a bench or shooting prone and like to challenge myself to poke holes through paper consistently, as far away from myself as I can.

I can follow YouTube videos all day long but what they won't tell me is all of that stuff that you experienced folk have learned along the way that you wish you would have known before your first build.

Yea, that stuff. Tell me 'bout that stuff.

My build thoughts so far:

UPPER
Seekins IRMT-3 Upper
Seekins NX15 - BCG
Radian Raptor
Ballistic Advantage 20" .223 Wylde DMR Stainless Steel Rifle Length AR 15 Barrel, Premium Series
Superlative Arms .750" Adjustable Gas Block, Bleed Off - Solid, Melonite Finish
Stainless Steel Gas Tube, Rifle Length
Seekins SP3Rv3 Rail

LOWER
Seekins SP233 Lower
Seekins BUILDER'S KIT
Triggertech AR Diamond Pro Curved
ORIGINAL ERGO GRIP RIGHT HANDED – SUREGRIP®
SP-A5: A5 SPRING AND BUFFER KIT
RE-A5: A5 RECEIVER EXTENSION
PRS® GEN3 Precision-Adjustable Stock

I've decided to jump into this pool and am looking at building as much of a precision rifle as I can build. I've acquired my first part, a Seekins sp223 lower receiver and am getting together the build list for the rest of it. When I say precision, I mean I'm going to be on a bench or shooting prone and like to challenge myself to poke holes through paper consistently, as far away from myself as I can.

I can follow YouTube videos all day long but what they won't tell me is all of that stuff that you experienced folk have learned along the way that you wish you would have known before your first build.

Yea, that stuff. Tell me 'bout that stuff.

My build thoughts so far:

UPPER
Seekins IRMT-3 Upper
Seekins NX15 - BCG
Radian Raptor
Ballistic Advantage 20" .223 Wylde DMR Stainless Steel Rifle Length AR 15 Barrel, Premium Series
Superlative Arms .750" Adjustable Gas Block, Bleed Off - Solid, Melonite Finish
Stainless Steel Gas Tube, Rifle Length
Seekins SP3Rv3 Rail

LOWER
Seekins SP233 Lower
Seekins BUILDER'S KIT
Triggertech AR Diamond Pro Curved
ORIGINAL ERGO GRIP RIGHT HANDED – SUREGRIP®
SP-A5: A5 SPRING AND BUFFER KIT
RE-A5: A5 RECEIVER EXTENSION
PRS® GEN3 Precision-Adjustable Stock

If you are not going to pack it very far, I would opt for a true bull barrel . Wilson Combat and Wilson arms both make fantastic bull barrels. Neither one is overgassed so just a h2 buffer and they run beautifully no adj gas block needed. You might also consider a Young manufacturing national match bcg. I have built a couple heavy varmint/bench rifles now and can vouch for these mentioned components. Happy building.

Heavy, 'spensive AR15 range gun. Nice!
20 vs. 16 barrel yields ~100-150 fps more and less loud report. 16 might be more accurate.
Get a LaRue, Geissle or equivalent trigger, that will make a big difference in obtaining accuracy.
Edit to add: I have both Wilson Arms & Wilson Combat barrels. IMO, the Wilson Combat is better quality, and Ballistic Advantage is right there with WC.
PS, if you need wrenches, etc, give a shout.

The quality of the barrel and ammo will make the rifle shoot sub MOA out to 600 yards. A proper float tube and a good trigger is
also necessary. . All that other stuff is window dressing. Don't know anything about Ballistic Advantage barrels never
seen them at the matches. From the picture it looks like the diameter is reduced in front of the gas block unlike other
match barrels. I do know for competition Highpower shooters the Krieger barrels dominate the field.
White Oak Wilson barrels shoot excellent but will not shoot as many rounds accurately as a Krieger barrels.
Go to a Highpower match and see what the shooters are using. March 28 and 29 DRRC 600 yard match.
600 yard line at DRRC
DSC00194.JPG

Last Edited:
Things I have learned building:
  • Go to Cabelas Gun Room. There you will probably see DD and Noveske AR15s, as well as others. Look at the builds and ergonomics. See what "fits" you best.
  • Pay attention to handguards. Not all are created equal and some feel much better than others. I have a quad rail I took off a gun because I hate how the thing feels.
  • Pay attention to the grip. Find what fits your hand naturally and stick with it.
  • Since you have both a Seekins upper and handguard, they should naturally line up. mix and match brands don't always.
  • Tools, not knowing your mechanical ability or what your tool situation is:
    • Have a good, solid workbench
    • Good vise with Delrin or Wood inserts for the clamping jaws
    • Invest in both upper and lower vice blocks for the AR15
    • Have a quality set of punches and a very light tooling hammer. You don't need much force, and if you do, something's wrong.
    • Dental tools help too.
    • Though I rarely use it, have the proper version of Loctite handy. I have blue, red and green for different applications.
    • There's a thread on the forum about armorer's grease. Some guys don't use any, I use wheel bearing (moly or HP).
  • On the build, here are things I've learned matter most:
    • Research the ideal order of "putting it together" with regards to the lower and upper. Many here can weigh in on that. I've only built five from parts and think I'm still learning.
    • Have plenty of timing shims available for your handguard (if required) and muzzle device.
    • Shims on the handguard for both timing and setting accurate spacing for the top rail. Best practice = Picatinny rail spacing remains exact from the upper receiver transitioning to the handguard.
    • Torque to the proper setting, don't overtorque.
    • Stake (or pin) your gas block, and do the same for your BCG.
With regards to an adjustable gas block, based on experience, I would consider this optional on a rifle length gas system. Conventional wisdom states that most ARs are overgassed, generally indicated when you feel the BCG bottom out hard in the buffer tube after a shot. I put an adjustable gas block on a 18" rifle length barrel, and the gun wouldn't cycle unless the gas block was wide-open. YMMV.
Finally, when you really get into the fine tuning of the system, you can adjust the weight of the buffer and try different springs.

Last Edited:
For a first timer, more of a budget build may be a good idea to get your feet wet.
Follow ospreys advice. Start with a cheapy. Trust us with the fact there will be more builds. It always starts with the first one. They are like rabbits.

Thanks, but no thanks. I appreciate where you are coming from but a few things about this for me: This isn't my first mechanical project nor my first gun project, it is, however, my first AR project. I also am of the temperament and budget to seek professional gunsmithing help should I need it; I'm not scared of damaging expensive parts because I'm a measure thrice, cut once kind of guy. Also, I just don't see the point or fun in building something that I'm not keen on using.

But, if you can explain why you feel the way you do, mistakes you may have made, I might be convinced otherwise.

Have it ceracoated in a color that matches your pumps and handbag. You don't want to go to the range and be shunned by the "mean girls".

Hell, man, I'm already shunned. Why do you think I got into guns? :eek:

When you build the second one or maybe on the third ; look at getting a SPC ll 6.8
and buy only from AR15Performance barrel and bolt.

Why and why?

What exact sport are you building the AR for?

My own personal enjoyment first and foremost. If the build fits for a distance type competition, it may get used for that...But that isn't a priority.

Heavy, 'spensive AR15 range gun. Nice!
20 vs. 16 barrel yields ~100-150 fps more and less loud report. 16 might be more accurate.
Get a LaRue, Geissle or equivalent trigger, that will make a big difference in obtaining accuracy.
Edit to add: I have both Wilson Arms & Wilson Combat barrels. IMO, the Wilson Combat is better quality, and Ballistic Advantage is right there with WC.
PS, if you need wrenches, etc, give a shout.

Thank you!

• Go to Cabelas Gun Room. There you will probably see DD and Noveske AR15s, as well as others. Look at the builds and ergonomics. See what "fits" you best.
  • Pay attention to handguards. Not all are created equal and some feel much better than others. I have a quad rail I took off a gun because I hate how the thing feels.
  • Pay attention to the grip. Find what fits your hand naturally and stick with it.
  • Since you have both a Seekins upper and handguard, they should naturally line up. mix and match brands don't always.
  • Tools, not knowing your mechanical ability or what your tool situation is:
    • Have a good, solid workbench
    • Good vise with Delrin or Wood inserts for the clamping jaws
    • Invest in both upper and lower vice blocks for the AR15
    • Have a quality set of punches and a very light tooling hammer. You don't need much force, and if you do, something's wrong.
    • Dental tools help too.
    • Though I rarely use it, have the proper version of Loctite handy. I have blue, red and green for different applications.
    • There's a thread on the forum about armorer's grease. Some guys don't use any, I use wheel bearing (moly or HP).
  • On the build, here are things I've learned matter most:
    • Research the ideal order of "putting it together" with regards to the lower and upper. Many here can weigh in on that. I've only built five from parts and think I'm still learning.
    • Have plenty of timing shims available for your handguard (if required) and muzzle device.
    • Shims on the handguard for both timing and setting accurate spacing for the top rail. Best practice = Picatinny rail spacing remains exact from the upper receiver transitioning to the handguard.
    • Torque to the proper setting, don't overtorque.
    • Stake (or pin) your gas block, and do the same for your BCG.
With regards to an adjustable gas block, based on experience, I would consider this optional on a rifle length gas system. Conventional wisdom states that most ARs are overgassed, generally indicated when you feel the BCG bottom out hard in the buffer tube after a shot. I put an adjustable gas block on a 18" rifle length barrel, and the gun wouldn't cycle unless the gas block was wide-open. YMMV.
Finally, when you really get into the fine tuning of the system, you can adjust the weight of the buffer and try different springs.

Thank you!

I can respect a man that knows what he wants. I would at the very least find an experienced builder to mentor and possibly borrow tools from. If you will acquire all your own tools I would budget $250 or so. Hopefully you already have a good solid vise and a torque wrench, otherwise budget another $250.

If looking at precision based AR15s. Look into Critirion barrels.

They are one of a few that chambers specifically for 77 grain 223/556.

I have learned what I like vs don't through builds. Barrel length and profile for starters. My first one was way too heavy for hiking long distance like when calling yotes. The comfort of fit of handguards and what butt stock I like. Maybe I like to learn the hard way i dont know but it never hurts to have those extra projects around.
Have fun with what ever you decide

I can respect a man that knows what he wants. I would at the very least find an experienced builder to mentor and possibly borrow tools from. If you will acquire all your own tools I would budget $250 or so. Hopefully you already have a good solid vise and a torque wrench, otherwise budget another $250.
Thank you. I'll have to acquire AR specific tools but between auto work and woodworking and the gun projects so far, I've got quite the collection growing.

I have learned what I like vs don't through builds. Barrel length and profile for starters. My first one was way too heavy for hiking long distance like when calling yotes. The comfort of fit of handguards and what butt stock I like. Maybe I like to learn the hard way i dont know but it never hurts to have those extra projects around.
Have fun with what ever you decide
That's a good point and something for me to chew on. Thanks,

your plans will do what you want, I would be happy with a larue MBT2S trigger, and go with a full length A2 receiver extension and either a magpul PRS or LuthAR stock. The extensions are cheaper, and the stocks are just solid, but have enough adjustment for bench and prone use.

the SA gas block is nice but not crucial, neither is matching seekings parts, but it also doesn't hurt.

as for barrels, BA and Faxon will do very well all day long. Criterion and White Oak will do better for a bit more, and Krieger and other bull barrel weirdness will be what actual match shooters shoot in actual matches, and you will have to pay a premium for tenths of an inch in tighter groups. For casual MOA bench shooting a BA will do fine. I have a 16" Faxon gunner and a 20" Criterion HBAR, and they both shoot darn near the same in my hands. *edit* which is sub-moa with my 77gr hand loads.

Whether its a DD, Noveske or an Oracle, ergos are going to be the same.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top