JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking of building my first ar15 upper. Went to noveske website for a barrel, they give an option to add a headspaced bolt for $65. Do I need it? Is it necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Last Edited:
You do will need a bolt, I've never bought one that was headspaced to the barrel I was using and have never had a problem. If your going to buy one can't hurt to buy theirs.

It's always best to have a bolt that is headsspaced to the barrel. For $65 it would be silly not to.

Not sure where you are (it might say on your header but it does not show on my phone). But if your close to Auburn WA and have another bolt you want to use if be happy to check headspace for you. I have a national match 11 gauge set for .223/5.56

go to PSA or another site where you can spec-out the upper you want
compare pricing to building one
Building an upper, unless it is an exotic upper might be fun the first time but for me it's like...

It's always best to have a bolt that is headsspaced to the barrel. For $65 it would be silly not to.

Not sure where you are (it might say on your header but it does not show on my phone). But if your close to Auburn WA and have another bolt you want to use if be happy to check headspace for you. I have a national match 11 gauge set for .223/5.56

Thanks. If you were closer I'd definitely take you up on that offer. I spent a pretty penny on a pws enhanced bcg so I'd hate to spend an extra $65 for something I already have...

go to PSA or another site where you can spec-out the upper you want
compare pricing to building one
Building an upper, unless it is an exotic upper might be fun the first time but for me it's like...

Did that. One thing about me, I get sucked in too deep and loose track, next thing I know I'm waay past budget lol. I figured that building a noveske upper with mostly noveske parts vs buying a factory built upper, I would save about $200-300.

Last Edited:
I purchased a Noveske barrel in 300 BLK a few years go and did not get a bolt for it. I ran a Spikes BCG in it and have had no issues what so ever. I never did head space it either. I think if you have a quality mil spec BCG and a good barrel you should be ok.

And as for PSA I have a upper from them and well they are no comparison to the Noveske stuff;)

When you are buying quality parts they almost always spec out just fine. Its one of those things that there are things that slip past so its always nice to check but chances are with PWS and Noveske parts you will be golden.

I personally have never seen new, quality parts that did not pass a No/No go test. Although its not like I am checking piles of them either. I have seen some bargain parts that would have needed a chamber reamed but they where not discovered by checking headspace, it was plain to see as the bolt would not go into battery with a round in the chamber.

I bought the full set of gauges (there is 11 in the set, not just a go/no go) so I could match barrels and bolts the best I could and watch them as they wear.

I am a tool junky. I own several dozen AR specific tools, Many I have never used ( like the super cool gas key staking tool I got) For what ever reason I like having the tools as much as I have the guns. I have a fleet of AR's and plan on adding as money allows.

I purchased a Noveske barrel in 300 BLK a few years go and did not get a bolt for it. I ran a Spikes BCG in it and have had no issues what so ever. I never did head space it either. I think if you have a quality mil spec BCG and a good barrel you should be ok.

And as for PSA I have a upper from them and well they are no comparison to the Noveske stuff;)

PSA makes a whole range of stuff. I own one Noveske ( a factory built gun) and several PSA guns. One of my PSA guns I actually prefer over my Noveske and it cost half as much.

I also have a PSA that total build cost was around $400. So yeah, A Noveske it aint :)

One of the reasons though is the Noveske quad rail. As far as quad rails go its pretty sweet but Most all of my guns now have Keymod systems and they are just so much nicer to run. I actually just ordered a 13" BCM KMR to put on my Noveske which I suspect will improve my opinion of it yet again (for a long time it was my favorite by a long shot) That is if I can figure out how to change out the Noveske rail. SWS who makes them for Noveske no longer sells the barrel nut wrench and its a pretty weird proprietary nut. Rainer Arms has a wrench but since I did not buy the rail from them I suspect they would want a pretty penny just to crack it off.

Quite a long way off do you need to buy a Noveske bolt for a Noveske barrel. Sorry :)

Last Edited:
When you are buying quality parts they almost always spec out just fine. Its one of those things that there are things that slip past so its always nice to check but chances are with PWS and Noveske parts you will be golden.

I personally have never seen new, quality parts that did not pass a No/No go test. Although its not like I am checking piles of them either. I have seen some bargain parts that would have needed a chamber reamed but they where not discovered by checking headspace, it was plain to see as the bolt would not go into battery with a round in the chamber.

I bought the full set of gauges (there is 11 in the set, not just a go/no go) so I could match barrels and bolts the best I could and watch them as they wear.

I am a tool junky. I own several dozen AR specific tools, Many I have never used ( like the super cool gas key staking tool I got) For what ever reason I like having the tools as much as I have the guns. I have a fleet of AR's and plan on adding as money allows.

Brother from a different mother :)

PSA makes a whole range of stuff. I own one Noveske ( a factory built gun) and 6 PSA guns. One of my PSA guns I actually prefer over my Noveske and it cost half as much.

I also have a PSA that total build cost was around $400. So yeah, A Noveske it aint :)

One of the reasons though is the Noveske quad rail. As far as quad rails go its pretty sweet but Most all of my guns now have Keymod systems and they are just so much nicer to run. I actually just ordered a 13" BCM KMR to put on my Noveske which I suspect will improve my opinion of it yet again (for a long time it was my favorite by a long shot) That is if I can figure out how to change out the Noveske rail. SWS who makes them for Noveske no longer sells the barrel nut wrench and its a pretty weird proprietary nut. Rainer Arms has a wrench but since I did not buy the rail from them I suspect they would want a pretty penny just to crack it off.

Quite a long way off do you need to buy a Noveske bolt for a Noveske barrel. Sorry :)

Nothing against PSA they do work. I am just a Mega fan so when I did go the cheaper rout it was hard:D And as for the key mod stuff Mega makes a sweet key mod upper.....

I use headspace gauges and have hever had a problem with a new barrel not headspacing with a new bolt. Boutique parts are cool, I tend to skip the middleman and burn my money in the fireplace.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top