JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
701962-817d37d26dea27c07ac4073d1200d191.jpg 701963-3a4c7cbbd84327a15338d93f9d71555c.jpg
701964-99dae92cb58244946d703ee8f4b4a7bb.jpg

So one of my friends who collects a lot of brass and is my supplier for range brass, saw my post on a different thread and asked me to help him build a brass tumbler for him to use.

I built this, just got a used tread mill for free off of Craig's list. Looked for a larger one so it had plenty of power. Bolted a couple of 2x4s to my bench, ran some lag bolts through the rollers from the tread mill, used the motor and controller, also screwed to the bench and had what i needed for the price of the 8" sewer pipe an end cap, adapter and rubber cap. It didn't run perfectly true so I put a bearing on a dowel to keep the tumbler from running off the rollers. still need a cover for the controller and the motor fan. It's not OHSA approved and it's not pretty but I've run 14-3-1/2 gallon buckets of brass through it and it works great. I bought 20# of over-sized pins, (don't remember where). I can tumble as much as I want to lift, up to about 2 gallons of brass. I built it in my shed so I can keep the noise away from where i'm reloading.
I forgot, I also had to add fins to the inside of the tub, just some 2" pipe cut in 4 ths length wise and bolted to the tub before the caps were glued into place. A Goggle search for DIY brass tumbler will get you most of the info. This is not an original idea. I just used the tread mill to get my parts from so I could build it on the cheap and make it easy.

Since I have only done it one way, I was wondering if others have experience that might make my next build better. His would need to to be portable, unlike mine. I've looked a lot online but am asking for personal experience. Either first hand or through interactions with friends.
Thank you!

Last Edited:
Mostly I build what I can because I like to but I also like to do a good job of it if I have the time. The one I built was a quick and dirty project and it has worked very well but it's not portable. At the time I just wanted to tumble a large batch of brass that I had purchased. Like so many other things, you can usually buy one that is already perfected.
I reload because I like to, I built my own out buildings because I wanted to, etc.... Why make anything that someone else already manufactures? Because I like the challenge of learning and creating. By the way, I'm not offended by your comment, just going a different way. I don't work on cars, don't try to make electronics, etc... This is, for the most part a pretty simple machine. So in this case, I'm asking my fellow tinkerers for their thoughts. All of this is just a hobby for me.

Last Edited:
Mostly I build what I can because I like to but I also like to do a good job of it if I have the time. The one I built was a quick and dirty project and it has worked very well but it's not portable. At the time I just wanted to tumble a large batch of brass that I had purchased. Like so many other things, you can usually buy one that is already perfected.
I reload because I like to, I built my own out buildings because I wanted to, etc.... Why make anything that someone else already manufactures? Because I like the challenge of learning and creating. By the way, I'm not offended by your comment, just going a different way. I don't work on cars, don't try to make electronics, etc... This is, for the most part a pretty simple machine.
I have used a rock tumbler from Harbor Freight. It was cheap and got the job done. However, I don't save my brass anymore so it's a moot point with me. I too like to build things rather than buy them. You should see my car!

I like the idea of DIY projects, especially if you already have the parts to build something and there are many ways to make a bucket/container slowly spin...
Maybe it's just me, but I can not view the pictures you have attached.

I don't wet tumble yet but am keeping an open mind. One of my friends who does wet tumble says it is really important to limit the time and never let the brass sit. He has everything on timers and makes sure he's home to empty the drum.

Does anyone have experience with how long is too long and any other downsides to wet tumbling?

For range brass that is super dirty, this seems like a great way to get to clean brass.

Does anyone have experience with how long is too long and any other downsides to wet tumbling?
I recently tumbled some 50 + year old brass that was black!

A little over two hours with Dawn & lemon juice and it required sunglasses to look at it!

As far as downsides I have only one - I WISH I had switched to liquid tumbling much longer ago!. It is important to make sure no pins remain in smaller caliber, bottleneck brass but that is easy to do.

I started with the Harbor Freight double tank tumbler as well and I discovered psyllium/protein powder containers fit the tumbler perfectly and as soon as I glue something inside to 'upset' the brass & pins to provide the 'action' these will become my 'larger capacity' tanks!

My tumbler 'lives' on top of my dryer in my laundry room for easy access & use.

IMG_2243[1].JPG

Last Edited:

A little over two hours with Dawn & lemon juice and it required sunglasses to look at it!

As far as downsides I have none to report. It is important to make sure no pins remain in smaller caliber, bottleneck brass but that is easy to do.
How much lemon juice do you use?

I usually use lemishine or the Frankfort Arsenal packets.

As far as downsides I have only one - I WISH I had switched to liquid tumbling much longer ago!. It is important to make sure no pins remain in smaller caliber, bottleneck brass but that is easy to do.

I started with the Harbor Freight double tank tumbler as well and I discovered psyllium/protein powder containers fit the tumbler perfectly and as soon as I glue something inside to 'upset' the brass & pins to provide the 'action' these will become my 'larger capacity tanks!

My tumbler 'lives' on top of my dryer in my laundry room for easy access & use.

View attachment 751296

View attachment 751296
What did you place around the outside of the container and where did you get it?

Btw, it appears you must now be "regular" :D

What did you place around the outside of the container and where did you get it?
That is just black electrical tape I wrapped around the container to help 'grab' the rollers to turn smoothly.

Chances are once filled with brass & water it would have been fine.

it doesn't have to be dawn,
True - However I discovered Dawn cleans the cases MUCH better than 'cheaper' liquid detergent, and rinses off much better without leaving any residue.

Looks good!

No gonna lie when you said "treadmill" I honestly thought it was going to be the size of a mini keg and got all excited.

still looks to be plenty big and definitely looks to be sufficiently stout for long term use

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top