JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since I have decided I want an AR, and I want high quality, and I can't save money for the life of me, I've decided I want build one. My plan is to buy high quality parts to "save" then put one together. Anybody have any tips? I'm also looking for a list of every part I need, so I can check off parts as I collect them.

AR15 .com and M4 forums also have great info.
Basically,google making a rifle barrel and read up on that.Then find a rifle manufacturer that makes the barrel you want,as you will get 12348749 different answers on which type is best.
But Noveski and Daniels Defense will be the most prominent answers ,for most parts. Then look at the nickel boron plated bolts that are the cat's meow. The lowers aren't a bunch different,just what name or Zombie symbol you want on it

And the stocks and furniture come down to the ergonomics that YOU like.You can spent a ton of cash for the DD stuff or get something that is as good of quality for less.

The lower parts kits aren't much different,but the high end kits are only a few bucks more

But really study the makings of barrel manufacturing so you can understand what everyone is talking about on here.
And google bolt carrier groups,cause there is some pretty cool stuff for those also.

Get ready for "buy Noveski,DD,BCM parts,ONLY"

And good luck,it's fun building your AR

Thanks! I ve had a couple ARs in the past, a Colt and a Bushmaster. I planned on a lot of Noveski parts, along with LaRue, Vltor and Troy. I want a 14.5" barrel, with a permenantly attatched flash hider. I'm going to go with a flat top and full length rails (I want light weight, but love the look of ARs with just a flash hider sticking out). I was looking at Magpul BUIS, cause I like the look and can save a little weight with Polymer there, I also want to put an EOtech on it, not sure of the model, but I like the ones that take 123 batteries, but I do not need night vision compatible. I already have a Vltor mount for a Surefire 6P, but may put a Surefire X300 on it. I also love the look of the Noveski Fire Pig flash hiders (or whatever they call them) and I hear they work good at night, and I shoot a lot at night, and I like that Noveski is Oregon based. I've got a good idea where I'm gunna go with it, but plan to take 6 months or so to finish it. As you were saying with LPKs, if I can get top quality for $20 more (don't know actual difference), I will. Thanks for any tips though, or things to stay away from!

Also, can you buy a Colt stripped lower? I'd kinda like to get a Colt, Noveski, or LMT....if I could find a good quality one, with no markings but a serial number, fire, and safe, I'd be really happy. Does any company make single custom engraved or serial numbered lowers?

Also, can you buy a Colt stripped lower? I'd kinda like to get a Colt, Noveski, or LMT....if I could find a good quality one, with no markings but a serial number, fire, and safe, I'd be really happy. Does any company make single custom engraved or serial numbered lowers?

You can buy any lower you want but I think once you look into colt lowers that will turn you off to them. Last time I looked they were wanting $300+ for a stripped lower. Kinda hard to justify when good quality lowers could be had for $100 or less.

There are some companys that make lowers without roll marks on them. I know mega makes them without roll marks so that may be one option for you.

And while were on the subject of lowers, I would stay away from the plum crazy lowers. Alot of people like them because they are polymer and they are super cheap but some people are having problems with premature wear (my buddy being one of them). Judging by your posts, you seem to be on the right track as far as building a quality ar.

Get ready for "buy Noveski,DD,BCM parts,ONLY"

This is absolutely correct. There are a lot of people out there that will say "buy this" or "buy that" and if you don't, they'll start bad mouthing everything else you do.

The one thing to keep in mind...a lower is a lower, and an upper is an upper. Some are better than others, some aren't...it's all about what you want. They are all machined the same why and all will say they are Mil-spec. Keep in mind, Mil-spec is all about tolerances. Just because something is Mil-spec, doesn't mean it will match up to another Mil-spec part perfectly...the parts could have opposite tolerances in the machining.

Something else you may want to ask yourself is, what are you gonna use the rifle for? Home defense? Plinking? Hunting? Do you want it to be a plain jane rifle, or do you want all the tacticool accessories too?

Someone mentioned using AR15.com as a reference...yes, by all means use them, but be careful. I ran across quite a few gun snobs on AR15.com saying "buy this. if you don't, you're an idiot." I shut them pretty quick with pics of my Noveske shooting sub-MOA compared to their Colt or Bushmaster shooting 1-2 MOA. Just don't settle for what is second best in your mind...you'll have regrets. Good luck and happy shooting.

arfcom is ok, I like M4C better for knowledge.

People suggest DD, BCM, LMT etc for a reason. After dealing for LMT I'm sold on their quality, and prices are well in line with whats out there. You can buy a DPMS for $900 or shop and get the same out of a QUALITY gun.

VMKeith- I've never seen anyone knock on Noveske for even a second!!! Especially when compared to Bushmaster!!! Colt kool-aid drinkers will always argue Colt so no surprise there!! lol

I will agree that Noveske, LMT, Etc. are excellent quality. Outside of barrels and piston systems I have yet to be shown why you would spend double or even triple for THE EXACT SAME THING. A properly machined milspec lower provides the same function at any price. Now if you're building a 'Nam replica or something it makes sense to get a NoDak Spud, very clean and historically accurate. But if you want a dependable rifle, buy an Aero or MEGA ARMS receiver and spend the money you save on your barrel and BCG.

The way I found out what I believed I needed to know about building an AR was to go READ A BUNCH OF TREADS on the 2 sites mentioned.Now I said that loud because some dummy like you or me has asked the dummy questions and you just have to search for the answers.
The other thing is all the ads at the top.Go to every one of those and you can get the MSRPs of the goods and see who has what.There is a ton of info on those web sites.Of coarse they will all tell you theirs is best.
BUT,take in mind some of these guys have lots of money and shoot competitively ,putting 10's of thousands of rounds down range
I'll be lucky to shoot 10k in my life.Don't need the "best of the best".Heck the upper nubus put together for me shoots MOA easily and it wasn't a elite manufacturer.(BTW nubus is great to deal with)

And if I put together another one,I would buy higher end parts.Probably research barrels again and then go from there
(when I win a lotto)

BravoCompanyUSA.com

These guys are local too.And you can do cost comparisons on high end and low end parts

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Taking the AR15 to new heights.

One thing that you will find is you won't be able to just buy a piece here,buy a piece there.

Doesn't work that way
You buy one piece and it looks lonely.So you have to get something to go with it.
But now you need that other part to complete it.Then you can't make the car payment because there was a deal on barrels some place.

Just a warning.

Lol no, I am not some Internet warrior, nor do I claim to be an operator of any kind. Like everything I buy, I want quality. I've had a Colt, and was super happy cause it was quality, but it wasn't the configuration I wanted. I had a Bushmaster, and was not happy, it was middle of the road quality. Most of my friends never see my guns.

Redneck rampage, the Portland gun show is next month. I would suggest reading up and doing your homework on what you want and then hit the gun show. There is a ton of ar parts there for cheap. Couple months ago I bought stripped upper and lower mega receivers in od green for $200.00. I have seen that same deal for the last 6-8 months there so there is no shortage. Far cheaper than what I found online.

Here's what I've found:

As soon as you finish building your "ideal" AR-15, you'll see a different one and wish you had built that instead!

And that's OK, because you can always build another. :)

Redneck rampage, the Portland gun show is next month. I would suggest reading up and doing your homework on what you want and then hit the gun show. There is a ton of ar parts there for cheap. Couple months ago I bought stripped upper and lower mega receivers in od green for $200.00. I have seen that same deal for the last 6-8 months there so there is no shortage. Far cheaper than what I found online.

who was selling that? was it a dealer? new or used? in either case its nice to know its easily available

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top