JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of course! I just have to wait for everything in the mail I'm going to get a hold of a upper probably some time after this lower is finished, just because of my budget constraints. Then its time to learn about headspacing!

Headspacing an AR? I suppose you ca check it. Won't hurt. You arent going to adjust it but if it makes you feel good.

If you were to check 100 modern AR bolts against 100 modern AR chambers you'd find almost no variation. Six Sigma and ISO XXXX plus the fact theres really only a small handful of factories actually building AR bolts and barrels keeps variations almost non existent.

You're only 19 and it'd be pretty bubblegumty for you to get a weapons charge at this point because you really wanted to build an 80%. Just keep that in mind.

What are you talking about? He can own a gun. He just can't buy one. He can build his own gun. He just can't buy one. He cant pay someone to buy him a receiver but he can build one with no resptriction as long as he is legally allowed to own said gun. There are prohibitions on what he can do with it and how he can transport it but he can sure as poo legally build and own one.

Oh, of course! I hardly ever talk about guns or politics with others around my age(mainly because my age group in the i5 corridor are a bunch of virtue signalling hipsters with no real political experience beyond CNN.) And my family, while we don't all agree, wouldn't dream of trying to get one another in trouble with the law! Knowing some of them, thats a house of cards just waiting to fall. I only talk about that kinds of stuff with my family and a couple of my buddies, and my girlfriend from time to time.

Yep. I'm 100% in legal territory! I could buy a whole new ar, but I have the build-a-bug. Only things are I can't sell it and I can't make lowers for monetary gain, I believe.

And the headspacing thing is just if I decide to build the upper altogether, I want to double check to make sure all my money and effort isn't going to be ruined. Regardless of how standardized parts can be.

What are you talking about? He can own a gun. He just can't buy one. He can build his own gun. He just can't buy one. He cant pay someone to buy him a receiver but he can build one with no resptriction as long as he is legally allowed to own said gun. There are prohibitions on what he can do with it and how he can transport it but he can sure as poo legally build and own one.

I'm talking about a-hole LE or DAs that don't like that someone has something while that someone treads a legal gray zone.

While you and I know it's legal, all it takes is this guy being dragged into court to get f-ed pretty hard. Maybe it's for jaywalking after buying a trigger assembly for his 80%.

If an FFL is on the line because a stripped lower could become a pistol, it sounds like a person below 21 could get f-ed if found in the process of building something that could become a pistol.

You can sell a gun you build from a 80%. You just can't build it to sell. It used to be you could sell it private party with no markings but now that we get to go through a dealer for transfers you have to add identifying info or no dealer will touch it.

I'm talking about a-hole LE or DAs that don't like that someone has something while that someone treads a legal gray zone.

While you and I know it's legal, all it takes is this guy being dragged into court to get f-ed pretty hard. Maybe it's for jaywalking after buying a trigger assembly for his 80%.

If an FFL is on the line because a stripped lower could become a pistol, it sounds like a person below 21 could get f-ed if found in the process of building something that could become a pistol.

Not illegal is not illegal. It is not illegal for someone to build a gun from an 80% even if they are under 21 and over 18. It IS illegal for a dealer to transfer a receiver to someone under 21 because it is not a rifle. It is an "other" and "others" are considered the same as pistols and are illegal for 18-20 minors to buy... but not own. 18 to 20 year old minors can own pistols They can be gifted pistols and they can own pistols but they cannot be transferred a pistol by a licensed dealer.

Last Edited:
Not illegal is not illegal. It is not illegal for someone to build a gun from an 80% even if they are under 21 and over 18. It IS illegal for a dealer to transfer a receiver to someone under 21 because it is not a rifle. It is an "other" and "others" are considered the same as pistols and are illegal for 18-20 minors to buy... but not own. They can be gifted pistols and they can own pistols but they cannot be transferred a pistol buy a licensed dealer.

You're a strong pro2a guy, obviously. Perhaps his immediate family isn't. You have emergency restraining orders in OR, right? I'm telling the guy to be cautious because ghost guns are a hot issue right now and his immediate family obviously wasn't willing to help him.

Stick with your day job you're obviously not a lawyer.

Last Edited:
And there is clear precedent on manufacturing a pistol for folks under 21? It's all above board?

If you can own a pistol you can "make" a pistol. There is no age restriction at the federal level that applies here. Its up to the state to determine age restrictions for pistol ownership. You are not a manufacturer and you are not manufacturing a pistol. Only licensed manufacturers can do that. Fine points in the law that mean something. A maker makes a pistol for personal use. If you can legally own a pistol you legally make one and if your state says you can legally own a pistol at 19 you can legally make one at 19. No discussion of precedent here because there is no confusion here.

Yep, I'm all good with the legal stuff I suppose. I was actually thinking that if the prices of slides ever go down I would make a g17 or a g34 from a 80%. Only thing stopping me is how prohibitively expensive most slides and barrels are! I've found a couple of deals on brownells, but its still almost 400+dollars for a good slide, barrel and upper assembly. I would rather have some good bang for my buck with an ar build than that.

Yep, I'm all good with the legal stuff I suppose. I was actually thinking that if the prices of slides ever go down I would make a g17 or a g34 from a 80%. Only thing stopping me is how prohibitively expensive most slides and barrels are! I've found a couple of deals on brownells, but its still almost 400+dollars for a good slide, barrel and upper assembly. I would rather have some good bang for my buck with an ar build than that.

It's a bummer. Only a few years ago, you could get a complete OEM upper for under $300, used for $250, I even bought a used one for $200. Those days seem to be gone now that everyone knows about the 80% lowers. Short of the benefit of having a gun without going through the hassle of an FFL/"registration", there is no cost benefit to do it. It now costs more to build than to buy. Crappy deal.

Oh, of course! I hardly ever talk about guns or politics with others around my age(mainly because my age group in the i5 corridor are a bunch of virtue signalling hipsters with no real political experience beyond CNN.) And my family, while we don't all agree, wouldn't dream of trying to get one another in trouble with the law! Knowing some of them, thats a house of cards just waiting to fall. I only talk about that kinds of stuff with my family and a couple of my buddies, and my girlfriend from time to time.

If you are living with your family are there any restrictions about having a firearm in the same house as them? In some cases a lockable cabinet is OK in other cases may not be permitted. I strongly suggest at least a lockable cabinet in any case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top