JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking at one of the Bushmaster AR pistols the other day (pic below). I really find one of these novelty guns appealing but the thing is just way to much plastic for my liking. That made me start to wonder if a person could build one of their own that was a little more to their liking and a little less plastic. I am kind of just looking for a reason to buy and use the lower I have pictured below. Does anyone have any info on whether all the parts needed would be available? About how much could a person expect to spend?

SPKSTLS015lg.jpg

You can build one on any stripped ( virgin ) receiver, only special part wpuld be the "pistol" buffer tube assembly, of which there are mny different brands. Cost should be no more than a standard AR. Many of the parts companies do pistol kits with everything you need.

piece of cake like building a ar15 rifle except

shorter barrel shorter gas tube tube and Pistol buffer tube and pistol or virgin receiver

now if you want one like that bushmaster in the pic , that floating hand guard is a bushmaster exclusive and they have to install it .

they also use a special buffer and buffer tube and carrier to make the tube that short but those are available on the market

all that plastic makes it light enough to shoot one handed

I bought a lower recently and wasn't sure if I wanted to make it into an AR pistol, I had to register the lower as a pistol "just in case". AFAIK, you can convert a registered pistol lower to a rifle (once and then it is no longer considered a pistol) but you can't convert a rifle lower to a pistol.

I might be wrong but thought I would mention this in case I am right and you were unaware of this little legal pitfall.

I had to register the lower as a pistol "just in case"

:confused:

Per whom?

If it's sold as a bare receiver, it can be made into anything. Just follow the "rules" down the road, once a rifle, always a rifle and all that jazz.
Document your build if you're the paranoid type.

$1370 was the cost of my first AR-Pistol build but I used a 10.5 Noveske N4 upper, with monolithic rail-upper which was $1000 of that price, never jammed, the only thing that was annoying was the buffer tube, getting the nice clean one, with a cheek hold is essential.

$1370 was the cost of my first AR-Pistol build but I used a 10.5 Noveske N4 upper, with monolithic rail-upper which was $1000 of that price, never jammed, the only thing that was annoying was the buffer tube, getting the nice clean one, with a cheek hold is essential.

I was at the opposite end of that spectrum....less than $500...

IMG_2754.jpg

I used a rifle buffer tube with an ACE foam sleeve and a sling swivel through the end so there was no way to attach a stock. I did it as a " because I haven't done one "....novelty wore off pretty quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused:

Per whom?

If it's sold as a bare receiver, it can be made into anything. Just follow the "rules" down the road, once a rifle, always a rifle and all that jazz.
Document your build if you're the paranoid type.

Per my gun dealer. I think its a WA state thing. But then again I (and my gun dealer) might be wrong.

convention is that they're utterly worthless.. but i've actually been thinking about it a little lately, and have come to the conclusion that if you worked on your technique a bit, you could probably fire the thing pressed at extension from a slung single point to some degree of controllability and possibly accuracy.

i still can't figure out any possible application, but if you can't SBR and really want a short barrel, that might be an option.

Actually, I believe the one I held was aluminum.

From the Bushmaster website "Receivers, Forend and other parts are molded of durable, water resistant Carbon 15 Composite". Sounds like a "proprietary" type of plastic to me.I have heard stories of the lowers coming apart after 800-900 rounds, though that may just be the earlier ones. I'll take a cheesy Punisher logo over "Carbon 15 composite" any day.

terrible pic, but...Spikes lower, DMPS lower parts kit, Ace pistol buffer tube, Model 1 sales upper w 10" barrel with POF rail. I think the total cost was about $950. Vang comp keeps the blast downrange

Although it lacks a proper stock, the foam covered tube still affords a good cheek weld, it's easy to shoot and plenty accurate...That said, it's 1/2" longer than my MSAR, which is way easier to shoot and better balanced...

I'll take a side by side at some point....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top