JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

I am intrested in building an AR-10 but am not really sure to start.

Can I use and AR-15 lower or do i need a AR-10 lower?

Also what upper should i use.

I am trying to do it on a budget but would like a 18-20 in barrel.

Any suggestions and would be great.

Semper Fi,
Trevor

Well it is RELLY hard to get .308 length bullet in magazine well that is shorter then it.

AR-15 upper
AR-10 lower
AR-15 lower

Well what upper you use will depend on what lower you choose. There are 2 main styles, Stoner and Armalite. Then there are several lowers that use different magazines, Stoner, Armalite, G3, M-14, ect.

I could be wrong but I really dont think there is such a thing as a budget AR-10.

DSC06749.jpg

Most of the AR-10 companies parts do not interchange. It was recommended to me to buy a complete gun because the company has worked out many of the quirks for you related to gas amount vs buffer weight vs spring weight.

Most of the AR-10 companies parts do not interchange. It was recommended to me to buy a complete gun because the company has worked out many of the quirks for you related to gas amount vs buffer weight vs spring weight.

Unfortunate but true. I wish they were more standardized, like the AR-15. I personally think the companies building for the military's SASS contract made things worse. Everyone went proprietary to make sure they got the build and maintenance contracts.

if you're looking for more power out of an AR than 5.56, I would go with 6.5 Grendel which just needs a different bolt and barrel in an AR-15

Otherwise buy a complete AR-10. DPMS makes a relatively-low-cost complete rifle that is very good for around $1100.

Fortunately, most of the AR .308 parts on the market are going to be SR25, or DPMS pattern, and will take a .308 Pmag. You can source DPMS .308 compatible receivers from: MEGA, Tactical Machining, Si Defense, Black Rain Ordnance, DPMS, and CMMG to name a few. I'm sure there are more out there, but any of those should work with a DPMS .308 parts kit, and DPMS .308 bolt carrier group. CMMG also produces .308 bolt carrier groups that will work with SR25 pattern receivers. The good thing about the DPMS compatible stuff, is that many AR15 parts, such as the trigger group, gas system, and buffer tubes will interchange. Just make sure you use a DPMS .308 carbine buffer if you decide to utilize an adjustable stock. Armalite AR10 parts kits are only compatible with Armalite receivers that will only accept Armalite magazines. Armalite does produce two models of AR10 that will accept Pmags, but they are only available as complete rifles. They will not sell you the receivers for these rifles separately. I know this for a fact, because I contacted them last month about it :) The biggest problem with .308 ARs right now is availability. Nobody has receivers, or parts in stock. I think surplus ammo has CMMG .308 bolt carrier groups available, but they want $399.00 plus shipping. They are the only online retailers that I know of that have them, and I'm sure they know that too, as evidenced by their ridiculous asking price. AR15 parts are starting to trickle in, so it's just a matter of time before the .308 stuff starts to do the same.

The local store got a M&P 308 in What's the skinny on them? DPMS and Magpul mags but what else is interchangeable?
Plus the barrel is the same OD as a 556 DPMS barrel (normal taper). Seems skinny to me

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top