JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm currently tossing around the idea of building a revolver well just the frame. I've completed a few other projects and have been happy with the outcome & challenges of them. So my next adventure is building a revolver frame. I plan on using parts kits with the frame destroyed & my plan is to purchase one of those & recreate the frame to the best of my ability. I'm planning on a 2 piece design 1 being a cylinder housing 2 being the grip frame then pinning those together. I'm sure that my attempt would be mediocre at least. I am going to buy a small milling machine and I guess attempt to "rebuild" a Smith and Wesson or a Taurus frame. Just curious if any of you guy's & gals have any input on how I should approach this.

I haven't done this. But I've worked on repairing revolvers. They are typically unlike most automatics. Because they tend to work at closer tolerances. My opinion is that there is a higher degree of craftsmanship involved in a quality revolver than a comparable automatic.

The cheaper revolvers of yore that were reasonably functional had die-cast frames, not machined steel. Things like the High Standard Sentinel .22 revolver, and the German import RG series cheap revolvers, as examples. The manufacturers of those could get a reasonably close fit by using parts cast in dies. Which was a repeatable process in terms of manufacturing accuracy.

If you're making a revolver frame by hand from steel, it would be very helpful to have an engineering drawing of an original. But I don't know where you'd get such. Lacking that, an extant example in hand of the frame you are trying to replicate. You mention a two piece design (I'm thinking like a Ruger double action) but using salvage parts from a Smith & Wesson, which to my knowledge has never used a two-piece frame as you mention. Which adds to the complexity of the project. There's no drawing for this.

Not saying it can't be done, but it's a real challence. I've seen modern-type firearms that were made completely by hand in Vietnam. These were all automatics.

I totally agree the ar, 1911, glock,sig ect have a rather large amount of tolerance compared to a wheel gun. My main concern is getting the timing off just enough to cause damage to myself or anything for that matter Or creating just an unsafe firearm. That said having the frame in 3 pieces. I think would help as far as measurements not so much tolerances on account of it being "demilitarized".

I've tried to find drawings or at least specifications for whatever model in question with no luck either.

I may just buy a "parts kit" I think it would help regardless. I'm in it for the challenge. Yea I've come to the conclusion that a open bolt machine gun would be more realistic than a functional half decent looking revolver. Just one would get me in trouble with people I don't really want to be in trouble with unfortunately. I appreciate the reply the website is all gun parts they have a lot of parts kits for alot of different firearms. Thank's again.

While true you aren't really building a revolver , this way...but more along the lines of assembling it and giving it a final finish , maybe a black powder cap and ball revolver kit , might "scratch this itch".
Andy

What is your level of experience with milling/machining processes and what kind of 'small milling machine' are you planning on buying?

This was going to be my question as well. I'm a hobby machinist, I did okay on my lathe, but I got the Grizzly version of the Seig X3 mini-mill, or should I say mill/drill. It's a great precision drill, but not so good as a mill. Not heavy or stiff enough for doing much with steel, and not enough spindle speed for plastics and aluminum. I'm pretty good with the lathe, and I've done some fairly tricky work with the mill, but the ability to hold the kind of tolerances you'd need for your project are a whole different level of skills. Just something to keep in mind, good luck with your project.

Dave

but the ability to hold the kind of tolerances you'd need for your project are a whole different level of skills.
Ditto this!

I have a pretty good lathe myself and if I ever need millwork I go see a friend who is a custom ML rifle builder and does some pretty fantastic work - and has a Bridgeport mill.

I agree with you on the mill-drill as well. A great drill press but pretty limited for actual millwork.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top