JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really amazing, the engineering that goes into building an airplane of this size. Micki and I were at the Boeing Plant outside of Seattle last year and saw a 747 being assembled. They also had a 787 on the line where they were installing the landing gear, a very interesting tour that I would go on again if I were in Seattle!

British Airways has welcomed the arrival of its first 787-9 Dreamliner.

This time-lapse video(4 min) takes you behind the scenes at Boeing's factory where the aircraft is built.

The 787-9 is 20 ft. longer than its 787-8 predecessor, making room for a new painstakingly designed eight seat First cabin.

Due to the composite structure, this A/C is basically made offsite and joined together in Seattle.
If you have not seen how they paint an aircraft......The 747 and 777 are painted the same way, rolls of tape and brown paper.

Building the 787-9 Dreamliner

Cool stuff there. Used to watch them fly the straights with their Lear jet taking pics following along.
Never wanted to work at Boeing but assembling a jet like that would be kinda cool

Well a couple of things need to be corrected. First of all the planes are not built in Seattle. They are built in Everett. Also, all of Boeing planes start there paint schemes by computer. Then reference points on the aircraft are used to mask out the paint scheme. It is all done by hand. The wings for the Dreamliner are made in Japan by Kawasaki Heavy Industries. They are flown over here by a Boeing hybrid altered 747 called the Dreamlifter. I have seen that big fat thing leave the ground. It is simply amazing to see something that big take off and fly.
index_zpsy3bsmhvf.jpg
dl1_zps72lrthdn.jpg
dl2_zpszmqry1zf.jpg

Last Edited:
This is pretty cool.

Back in the 60's and 70's, if someone suggested a jet with only two engines that would carry hundreds of passengers across the oceans, and the same jet was made of plastic...Let's just say there would have been no such discussion.

Growing up, my whole lifes love was aviation. Always planned on a career of building or repairing airplanes. Aviation was my major at Benson, and was my major in college, when Uncle Sam came along and said "your life is now going to be changed forever". Spent 3-years in Army aviation, but when I left the Army, that was to be the last aircraft I ever touched, other than as a passenger.

I still love airplanes, and I try to keep up with the all the latest and greatest, but I can no longer keep up. I see airplanes flying that cause me to have to look them up for identification.

Further, I almost never fly any more. The airlines and TSA have made flying a disgusting experience. So now, I just don't go.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I live about 20 min south of the airport in Everett, overlooking the water. Every couple days (they probably go by more often but I'm not home during the day most of the time) I'll see a train heading north loaded down with unfinished airplane chassises. My son thinks it's super cool whenever one of those goes by (so do I!!).
They fly the planes pretty low over my house, too, when they are doing test flights. I assume it's a Dreamliner- I may be wrong- but I always enjoy seeing them go overhead.
My moms parents met each other working on the Boeing assembly line back in the olden days- so I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for that company.
Very cool video- I'm going to show it to my son!

Working w carbon fiber and epoxy is not all that fun. We made cool stunt planes at Composites Universal like the MX-1 and MX-2 that flew in the red bull series. Those stunt pilots and test pilots are nuts. Got to hang with Gary Ward and Len Fox, Nigel Lamb, and watch them stress the motor mounts I had fabbed and tig welded as well as many other parts. We made experimental aircraft also that Len Fox would be the first guy to fly them. Cool stuff but hard work.

I took delivery of my Just Aircraft Super Stol XL a few weeks ago. and I have my uncertified Lycoming O-390 turbo almost assembled! Composits One 3 blade scimitar Prop is in certification, and my fabric covering rolls will be here in a few days! Building Planes is not just an art, its a passion. This is my first Kit Built and it's going to be a blast. I had a Super Cub I rebuilt and flew for 4 years, traded up to a Super Decathlon Stol, and now my new Super Stol XL should be the best of them all!!! If you love to fly, and building your own bush plane is a dream, this is the way to go!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top