JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for information or contact info. for a gunsmith who may be able to help me with this project.

I am wanting to use the Remington 700 action but am not sure if any model 700 long action will work.

A Sako extractor

Choate Ultimate Sniper stock

28" fluted bbl with 1x10 twist, (tactical vent system) break

If anyone has built or has experiance in this gun your information will be very helpfull

I dont know if the 700 long action will work for a 338 lapua without alot of work...have you thought about doing a 300 winchester magnum at all? because that will work in a 700 action. very similar ballistics and its alot cheaper to shoot and find ammo

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Rem700PoliceDM_300WM.asp

it also doesnt kick as sharp as the 338 does. 338 can make you develop a flinch very quickly if your not careful

50 cals kick, but your shooting a 28+ lbs rifle so it kind of evens out

338 usually comes screaming out of a 10-12 lb rifle. big difference

I dont know what your planning on using it for. if its a bench rifle then alot of the stuff above isnt gonna apply. however 338 is still not cheap to shoot and its hard to find also.

I looked into this awhile back and I decided to go 300 win-mag when the time comes.

hope that helps

The rem 700 action will work rem actually makes 338 lapua rifles in the rem 700 action.
Be prepared though it's very expensive to shoot 200.00 just for 100 brass.

Just FYI-

IIRC, the 338 LM is built on an Ultra action. Also, the 338 Ultra (more common) is about 98% of a 338 LM.

For both the above 338's, in order to take FULL advantage of the case a barrel length of 31-32 inches is needed. Otherwise, its not much more than a 338 Winmag.

Just about any gunsmith that works on Remingtons could help you out. I'm sure Todd at <broken link removed> near Salem would be interested.

Look up hollands gunsmithing !
he is in sothern oregon, and is top notch. Your project is worthy , but the good old 300 win mag is a great round too.
If your **** bent on the lapua thats fine too.
The new 250 grain nosler accubond has a BC of .575 ! man that will make one **** of a game bullet if you are good enough to shoot that far.
keep us posted I like .338s.
...tj3006

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews