JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like a big boy rifle, definitely more than the .556. A little less than a standard .45-70 (not a modern full load one) in my opinion. If you don't reload it can also knock your wallet right out of your pants. :) Ammo is pricey.

Last Edited:
Research the limits/benefits of the cartridge. If you want big and bad: it fits the bill nicely. If you are looking for a 100-yd tack driver: not so much. If you are looking for something you can shoot completely suppressed and still drop a deer at 100-yd: it will perform.

It is a pricy platform. Effective cartridges are $3-$5 each. If you roll your own you can get the cost to $0.50 to $1.00 each. Then there is the cost of the can, can stamp, and SBR stamp if you want to be one of the cool kids.

If you move forward with the project get as much as you can from Tromix. Not only are you supporting the 458 SOCOM platform; if you look around you will find a lot of complaints/irregularities with other manufactures.

And yes it kicks.

Buy a large ejection port upper of your choice and a Tromix bolt/barrel combo and skip the reverse engineering headaches associated with lesser brands. Build it and they will come. Hands down the best subsonic hunting chambering in the ar15 platform. 4CD1A074-7B8E-4022-BB27-7B4E7DE96EA9.jpeg 9BA51F30-CE5F-4207-A2D1-5F564DED6751.jpeg F5E854AF-D6DA-4441-8503-3EE4E9ADB57E.jpeg

And yes it kicks.

More like a, "Boom" and a shove. ;)
I use an, "Artillery Hold" when shooting off hand and ride with the shove.:rolleyes:
You have to think of it as a shotgun and lean into it. My 12 ga. "Kicks".:eek:
Do your research on a scope. I went through 3 before I found one that held together.:(
Blue Loc-Tite is your friend.:p
I reload 325 gr. cast gas check bullets, (old SCUBA Diving weights) for about .35 a round.:cool:
Lots of good info here...http://458socomforums.com/ :)

* I did put in an, "Oil Buffer" and I haven't shot out a scope since. :)

Last Edited:
Here is my build thread

I absolutely love mine. On the other hand, I find 5.56/.223 ARs rather boring and underwhelming. I handload .458 using Hornady/Speer JHP 300 grain bullets, Starline nickel plated brass, CCI large magnum pistol primers, and Hodgdon Li'l Gun powder. I get about 1850 FPS and they knock the crap out of steel gongs at 100 yards. I haven't used it on game yet, but wouldn't hesitate to out to about 150 yards.