Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Building 1st AR upper - local parts vendors

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by onearmedswordsman, Mar 9, 2010.

1. onearmedswordsman

onearmedswordsman Hillsboro, OR Member

Here goes nothing!

Want to build my 1st upper (for varminting). I know there is large number of folks who trade on the parts I need locally (West of Portland). I want to know who you like and why. It can all be the same guy(s) or different for each bullet below. I don’t care.

• Misc upper parts (delta ring, gas tube, charge handle, picatiny gas block, etc.)?
    • DPMS lo-rider upper (or similar)
    • Hogue float hand guards, or similar, or maybe a railed..., barrel nut, etc.
    • 20” 1/8 twist .223 Wylde chambered bull barrels (fluted or not)
    • And carrier groups (since not all bolts may head space readily)

Can you recommend a good, flexible upper vise block? Do any of you have anything to say about these two?
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=52635/pid=0/sku/Upper_Receiver_Vise_Block
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=760543

Hey! I could order all parts online, or just get it over with and buy a complete RRA upper. But can't pass on the opportunity to enjoy a new challenge, and meeting new, fun people and talk guns f2f.

2. onearmedswordsman

Is this on the wrong forum? Or, are there no liked local vendors? No one is chiming in? Can't believe it!

I approached JC Weaponry Jason because I already knew him. Anyone else?

3. westernsky20

westernsky20 Portland, OR Member

custom firearm stands, Mike got me set up when I built mine. Look in the venders section there are a number of people that can probably help.

4. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're looking for parts wise, but I'm more than willing to help information wise.

I've also got all the tools on-hand that you would need to properly assemble your rifle. :) Vice block, barrel/castle nut wrench, torque wrench... I have some odd ball stuff too, like a jig to dimple your barrel so set-screw gas blocks stay put not matter what.

Send a PM with anything you need, my friend.

5. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

when I was calling around the different stores, I had a hard time finding people who carried anything in stock. They would be happy to order it or they didn't specialize in ARs. So I went online for most of my stuff, but had to consider the shipping cost in my build.

6. Intoodeep

Intoodeep Beaverton, OR Member

I'm working on a couple of budget builds for friends and it's not easy to find all the pieces local. Shipping cost can be a killer but I'm finding driving around for pieces can cost more ;)

7. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

I completely agree...especially if you put minimum wage as the cost of your time.

8. onearmedswordsman

Agreed, but I am operating under a different set of priorities. If $aving money was my only goal, I'd hunt for a bargain on a complete upper. Will spend about $200 more than if I simply buy a DPMS Predator Pursuit, and get about the same results. Putting together the upper is part of the fun. Buying locally gives a chance to interact with people f2f. It's the face time, dummy :p

9. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

I will have a RRA high riser upper receiver for sale next week. I am replacing it with a regular flat top. Price would be right.
    I also have a few DPMS lower parts kits in the store for $55 each

10. onearmedswordsman

changed my mind. I wanna punk my ride (i.e. lo-rider).:eek:

11. bnr32gtr

bnr32gtr Vancouver, WA Member

If you change your mind again, let me know and I'll hook ya up real good. I think I got WesternSky into his for about $550, including the rear sight, quality barrel, M16 BCG and billet upper receiver.

Thanks for the kind words, WS. :thumbup: