JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Or, as I like to call it, my California Assault Rifle 22, or CAR-22 for short.

If you can't tell, this is a grins and giggles build. Enjoy!

Plan:
- Clean up the internals
- Stock replacement
- AR parts with homemade wood furniture, cause why not?

Starting Rifle: a synthetic stock Ruger 10/22:

60282203324__00814B29-31DF-4737-A02E-C18FEE0E5499.JPG

Shown above is some replacement trigger parts from Kidd along with an aluminum trigger housing from Pike Arms.

Old housing vs New:

IMG_7555.JPG

Old trigger components. I polished up the Kidd parts and it is a world of difference compared to stock: about a millimeter of creep followed by a crisp and clean break that is much lighter than stock. If I can get ahold of a gauge, I'll update.

60283207166__A1C7AF4B-4573-4707-A3C7-E191E6C4A537.JPG

I put a PMACA Multi Chassis on it. This one is intended to be used with their carbon fiber barrel shroud, but I'm going to see if I can do some nifty wood working for that part.

IMG_7564.JPG

This AR grip comes from Indignant Arms and I'll be cutting wood scales to fill the grip.

IMG_7573.JPG

Still to do:

- Cut wood grips
- Cut a wood barrel shroud
- Wood fore grip?
- Get a stock, hopefully one that I can add some accents to.
- Add on that Vortex Strikefire or a red dot and go have some fun plinking

Last Edited:
I truly enjoy the 10/22.

Everyone should own at least 1 in my opinion.

I look forward to the progress on this build.

I truly enjoy the 10/22.

Everyone should own at least 1 in my opinion.

I look forward to the progress on this build.
Agreed. I've got another one with a bull barrel on it that I like to shoot from a bench or prone to see how far I can take it.

This one? I wanted to just lay out some coke cans between 5 and 30 yards away and see how fast I can knock into them.

Agreed. I've got another one with a bull barrel on it that I like to shoot from a bench or prone to see how far I can take it.

This one? I wanted to just lay out some coke cans between 5 and 30 yards away and see how fast I can knock into them.
Check out Tippman Arms...buddy of mines family owns in Ft Wayne Indiana. Probably the best out of the box accuracy .22 I have fired at 100 yrds.

Im very partial to my 10/22 and Volquartsen, but these m4 based .22 lrs are fantastic builds.

Check out Tippman Arms...buddy of mines family owns in Ft Wayne Indiana. Probably the best out of the box accuracy .22 I have fired at 100 yrds.

Im very partial to my 10/22 and Volquartsen, but these m4 based .22 lrs are fantastic builds.

I appreciate the link but buying something 100% complete doesn't quite scratch the itch.

Update on the stock: Couldn't find one that would take to wood too well...plus, my wife wants me to use some Purple Heart I've already got for the grip...So, that means black and purple cordage:

2EAFBC23-F462-4027-A91A-ED54F71FE872.jpeg

BC4FB722-3021-4C72-A280-8850823D1EFE.jpeg

4FF9812B-D972-40FF-9A05-AA6C85521936.jpeg

I've got a stock Ruger trigger, Kidd two stage trigger, and Kidd trigger kit. Thinking of taking them all apart to show off the internal differences..

Update on the stock: Couldn't find one that would take to wood too well...plus, my wife wants me to use some Purple Heart I've already got for the grip...So, that means black and purple cordage:

View attachment 663750

View attachment 663749

View attachment 663748

I've got a stock Ruger trigger, Kidd two stage trigger, and Kidd trigger kit. Thinking of taking them all apart to show off the internal differences..
Sounds like you'll need to use those extra parts to build a second, naturally that's the only option!

Ok heres my Takedown stainless 10/22 Volquartsen match carbonfiber barrel, 32 hole comp, Volq black nitride match bolt, 2lb volq match trigger, Razor dot, Hogue thumbhole stock.

How do you like the CF barrel? Been looking at them for this build. Though, they're only shaving a few ounces off...does the compensator do anything for you or is it just for show?

I love the barrel, however I had to send the rifle in to Volquartsen as I mushroomed the chamber and couldnt remove the barrel (take down). They fixed it, zero issues over an ungodly amount of rds.

The compensator, its hard to judge, with a higher end dot, that barrel and trigger etc...under 50 yards its always a seriously tight group. It does offer something further to clean, but its cooler than a thread protector while considering a supressor.

Purpleheart is a pretty neat wood. I have a board of that stuff I've made some Ruger Mark handgun grips from. It is very dense wood with dark streaks in it. Shapes and checkers very well. Nice hard wood that looks great with a glossy finish.

Decided to take some detail shots of the trigger mechanism. I went with a KIDD kit + auto bolt release, so you can see the difference in the bolt release, hammer, sear...

KIDD Parts:
IMG_7722.JPG

Ruger laying on top of KIDD:
IMG_7727.JPG

KIDD parts:
IMG_7726.JPG

Ruger parts:
IMG_7725.JPG

Ruger bolt release above KIDD:
IMG_7724.JPG

The trigger feel with the KIDD is a major improvement. There is no take-up, a crisp break, and very little over travel. I'd measure the poundage if I could but I don't have a gauge.

My Kidd triggers are about 2 1/2 lbs.
Yea, they're triggers. This is replacement internals fitting the Ruger mold...the Ruger parts as KIDD would make them. Much better, but still not a from the ground up trigger group.

It's definitely not 2.5 lbs. Maybe 4 or 5.

I haven't test fired the 25rd mag yet but noticed it wobbles a little more than normal. Here's it compared to some others. Note the 0.5mm of plastic missing from the top - I think this contributes most to the feel of the fit compared to the others.

A24B57CA-E3C7-448D-99F6-223B36BA83AD.jpeg
4A4385C3-669D-4206-8EC0-B8EEB058CD68.jpeg
4DFB3A30-9A71-4E64-BF7E-CF788CB32D43.jpeg

I have both styles of the KIDD triggers in use. The single stage and the two stage. This rifle has the "two stage" (12oz./12oz.) in it currently and is set up mostly for bench shooting:

ZIOom2tl.jpg

I'm familiar with the BX 25 magazines and others who mention what you did concerning the wobble when the magazine is in place. One person wrote that they used a piece of black plastic tape on each side of the BX magazine to eliminate the wobble, and that worked very well.
The BX magazine that I've been using fits pretty well so I haven't actually tried the black tape remedy.

I have both styles of the KIDD triggers in use. The single stage and the two stage. This rifle has the "two stage" (12oz./12oz.) in it currently and is set up mostly for bench shooting:

View attachment 670552

I'm familiar with the BX 25 magazines and others who mention what you did concerning the wobble when the magazine is in place. One person wrote that they used a piece of black plastic tape on each side of the BX magazine to eliminate the wobble, and that worked very well.
The BX magazine that I've been using fits pretty well so I haven't actually tried the black tape remedy.

Yep, I'm familiar with their two stage (it's in my "distance" build). For this build, I wanted to see how stock compared to their trigger overhaul parts. You can see in my pictures above that the KIDD interacts with the safety using more surface area (and it shows. 0 trigger movement when safe) and the hammer and sear interact with significantly less surface area, creating a lighter and more glass rod-like trigger pull with almost no creep and very little over travel. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it - it is a significant improvement over stock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top