Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Build or buy factory complete AR pistol

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by pacnw, May 13, 2016.

1. pacnw

pacnw Member

Interested in eventually submitting this as an sbr, June 9 or whenever.

PWS pistol in 223/556

Since the Mod2 is NOT coming until at least mid July, I will settle on the Mod1.

I can buy a factory built for $1750.

I can find complete uppers for $1100.

I have never built a lower, but that does not intimidate me.

I was informed that the PWS lower is a standard lower, so I could build one and get better parts to put in a better lower. Everything I calculate puts me at the same or more in cost to buying the complete factory pistol.

How important is having a factory assembled AR vs building one?
    What possible issues might I run into that would make the build not worth doing?

Any suggestions on "better" parts for the lower? I am thinking Geissele trigger, but other parts seem to be personal preference as to which is better.

Any thought, opinions, build help accepted.

2. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Assembling a lower is not "building" anything really. I don't think there is any risk in doing it nor is there a benifit to having a "factory built" one. The "factory" puts the parts in the FCG cavity and puts the pins in just like you would.

There is a very small chance you might need to do some fitting or figity work and if that turned out to be the case someone here would be happy to help you sort it out (I would if you happen to be close)

As far as better parts, its all bout what you like and want it to do. What I think are better parts you might hate :)

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    mjbskwim, Stomper and Dyjital like this.
  3. NWCustomFirearms

NWCustomFirearms Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

The ATF does actually considering assembling a lower and snapping the two halves together as manufacturing, but you are making it for yourself and not to sell to others so you are good. At least according to the ATF investigator I spoke with :)

When you are in that price range I think it is better to build vs buy. If your budget was 700 I would tell you to just go buy factory. This was you can put the parts you want vs buying new and replacing parts such as the trigger. I personally like the hiperfire and a few others and I have a preference for forearms but to each their own. With your budget you should have no problem building a nice gun with the accessories and parts that you want. I like the JP silent capture but for a lot less you can use a JP polished buffer spring with a Spikes heavy buffer and it will be almost as quiet with a little polishing. But Iron is right, there should be little to none fitting on mil spec parts. They are pretty much plug and play.

4. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

In your price range: build

Stomper and Joe13 like this.
  5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

People sell full lowers here for less then $350 all the time. Add your $1100 upper and your still saving enough for an optic or good chunk of ammo and mags.

Brutus57 and NWCustomFirearms like this.
  6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

So... a 100% lower is ALREADY a firearm, LPK/upper or not, so I'd say that BATFE agent is SADLY mistaken. Where "manufacturing a firearm" would come into play (in the case of an AR) is if you took an 80% lower (NOT a firearm) and finished the final 20% of the machining.

o_O

mjbskwim, Kruejl, Dyjital and 2 others like this.
  7. NWCustomFirearms

I agree with you 100% but when it comes to what the ATF tells me that's what I do. A lower receiver (not an 80%) is not considered a handgun or long gun but an "other". Same reason I can't sell a lower to an OR resident but I could sell a completed AR rifle. Turning the "other" into a long gun or a pistol is, by their definition, manufacturing. Legally, dealers must have a 07 FFL to build AR's and sell them as firearms. Like I said, I agree with you, common sense says a lower is a gun.

Stomper and Joe13 like this.
  8. NWCustomFirearms

Sorry, or a type 03, not just a 07.

Stomper likes this.
  9. Stomper

I guess it would depend if you listed the lower as pistol, rifle, or "other" on the 4473, yeah?

10. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

So what would be the process of getting a rifle lower decommissioned as such, then recommissioned as a pistol?
    Can that be done, or is it even worth looking into?

11. Stomper

Once a rifle on a 4473 always a rifle unless you SBR. A pistol can go back and forth, and to an fro... stupid, yeah? :rolleyes:

Brutus57 likes this.
  12. 2A2Dend

So, you can't take it to a class 7 and have it removed from the registry, engraved, then recommissioned?

Really?

13. Stomper

You can turn a pistol (<16" bbl) into a rifle (>/=16" bbl), and back from a rifle (>/= 16" bbl) into a pistol (<16" bbl) with no legal problems.

You can turn a rifle (>/=16" bbl) into a NFA registered SBR (<16" bbl) then later "decommission" it from the NFA registry and back into a non-NFA rifle (>/=16" bbl), but only into a rifle if it started life as a rifle pre-SBR.

You can turn a pistol (<16" bbl) into a NFA registered SBR (</= 16" bbl) and later "decommission" it from the NFA registry back into a pistol (<16" bbl), or (back and forth) into a rifle (>/=16" bbl)... then you're back to number-1 as outlined above.

Clear as mud, yeah? o_O

:D

14. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I'm in the process of turning my AR pistol into an SBR. And I "built" it for about half of your budget.

15. 2A2Dend

:confused: I'm, uh, still scratching my head. :s0125:

Stomper likes this.
  16. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Wait it gets better.

Take a look at the Sig 556? While it's not an AR. Many people think it is.
    It's upper and lower separate just like an AR. But it's lower is just a part.
    The upper receiver is the serial numbered part. :eek:

So there are some counterintuitive parts on guns. Considered to be the receiver.
    And the water can get very cloudy if you don't know the specific gun your dealing with.

I certainly would not trust the gun knowledge. Or opinion of any one ATF agent. :rolleyes:
    Heck. Even as a group they cant make up there mind and stick with it!

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

When you buy a lower it is not a pistol or a rifle. As stated it is an 'other'. If the mook behind the counter says different,he is misinformed.
    It's not till you put a buttstock over the buffer tube that ...(and take it out in public:rolleyes:)...it becomes a rifle lower.;)

NWCustomFirearms likes this.