JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did a 'build' (I don't really get that because all I did was assemble it,not really a build) but I only did the lower.I don't have the equipment in my little shop to assemble the upper. It wasn't very hard at all.
I am thinking of doing an upper just for the experience.
So if you are even thinking about it,do it.It's pretty cool to have a gun you put together.

Build as in building the upper (requires specialized tools, not a beginner task) or buying a complete upper? Thats where I'd put the most of the money into as thats where the accuracy and most of the reliability will come from.

What tools do you need besides a barrel nut wrench? I built my ar from start to finish without 1 specialty tool besides the barrel nut wrench that came with my forearm. I understand needing the right tools for a job but not necessarily specialized tools. It can be done with normal everyday tools with alittle thought.

What tools do you need besides a barrel nut wrench? I built my ar from start to finish without 1 specialty tool besides the barrel nut wrench that came with my forearm. I understand needing the right tools for a job but not necessarily specialized tools. It can be done with normal everyday tools with alittle thought.

and a torque wrench right

You need a receiver block to hold the upper in a vise while you torque the barrel nut. Trying to short cut the receiver block can result in a cracked upper. You need a barrel nut wrench, a torque wrench, a vise. Some moly grease to lube the barrel nut treads on the upper.

Receiver block for A1 and A2 uppers.
Armorer's Action Block Lower Receiver Action Block AR-15

Another style receiver block for flat top uppers.
Upper Receiver Takedown Pin Vise Block AR-15 AR-10

You pin this style to the upper and mount it on it's side in a vise.

You need a barrel clamp if you are going to be torques a flash suppressor or any other muzzle devise. If you use a upper vise block you can tweak the upper alignment slot when torquing the barrel.

Nope. two pieces of soft wood works as a receiver block. Like I said barrel nut wrench came with with my troy rail. Also said a torque wrench in another must. I would also expect most people to have enough sense that they can not hold on to the receiver and need a vise. I also do not consider a toque wrench or a vise specialty tools, any back yard mechanic should have these. I did alot of research before I put mine together and you are the fist person that said you have to have a barrel clamp to put on a muzzle device, not to say your wrong jut never heard it before. Grease on the threads is a choice not a need, something like never seize is a good alternative being it is not a lube. Also another tool to have that is handy but not necessary is a anvil. Do you really think that when this all started that all these handy tools were available, you can get away with thinking outside the box.

You need a receiver block to hold the upper in a vise while you torque the barrel nut. Trying to short cut the receiver block can result in a cracked upper. You need a barrel nut wrench, a torque wrench, a vise. Some moly grease to lube the barrel nut treads on the upper.

Receiver block for A1 and A2 uppers.
Armorer's Action Block Lower Receiver Action Block AR-15

Another style receiver block for flat top uppers.
Upper Receiver Takedown Pin Vise Block AR-15 AR-10

You pin this style to the upper and mount it on it's side in a vise.

You need a barrel clamp if you are going to be torques a flash suppressor or any other muzzle devise. If you use a upper vise block you can tweak the upper alignment slot when torquing the barrel.

I also do not consider a toque wrench or a vise specialty tools, any back yard mechanic should have these.
Sure, most people who work on other things will likely have a torque wrench, vise, workbench, punches (or preferably roll pin punches), pliers, etc. but not everybody does. It's just good to know necessary and recommended tools before someone tries to assemble an upper at the kitchen table in their apartment and realize they need a vise and a torque wrench that they don't have.

Sure, most people who work on other things will likely have a torque wrench, vise, workbench, punches (or preferably roll pin punches), pliers, etc. but not everybody does. It's just good to know necessary and recommended tools before someone tries to assemble an upper at the kitchen table in their apartment and realize they need a vise and a torque wrench that they don't have.

Agreed

My torque wrench starts at 20, so I'm going to assume ill need another torque wrench. What are the ranges?

A built rifle is starting to look more appealing!

You really don't need a torque wrench, General rule of thumb is snug it up good, then align next gas port hole for the gas tube. You have from 30-80ft lbs to work with.

Torque Values:
Compensator (Flash Suppressor) - 15 to 20 Ft. Lbs.

Barrel Nut - 30 Ft. lbs. Minimum, not to exceed 80 Ft. Lbs. to align the next slot in the barrel nut.

Carrier Key Screws - 35 INCH pounds to 40 INCH pounds.

Lower Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube)
Rifle - 35 to 39 Ft. Lbs.
Carbine - Tighten the locking nut to 40 INCH pounds plus or minus 2 INCH pounds.

Thanks yet again.

Is the whole fouling debate another topic entirely?

So what are the top-of-the list uppers and lowers? Your top three of each full kits?

Top three completes? Within the 6920 range?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top