JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As most of you probably know, Sarco sell parts and frames for pistols, revolvers and long arms. Have you any experience with building up a 1911 from frame on up? I see frames from $100 and frame and barrel for $200. Who has the triggers and firing pins and on and on? What do you think? (sarcoinc.com) I recall a member here building up a 1911. Any other opinions?

Their frames and other parts can be hit and miss as to being spec.

You get what you pay for.

But, if you want to learn how to build a 1911, and not worry about ruining good quality parts, that's a good place to start.

If you can afford to pay more for quality parts, you will have a better result. The problem with these kits is the random and used nature of the parts thrown into them - some are in spec, some are out, all are well-worn.

It's a cheap source of raw parts, some of which will work fine. Unless you are really desperate, I'd recommend saving a little more money and buying a Caspian kit. You'll easily make bake the added cost if you ever sell it - people will pay a premium for Caspian components and always heavily discount Sarco kit-guns.

As most of you probably know, Sarco sell parts and frames for pistols, revolvers and long arms. Have you any experience with building up a 1911 from frame on up? I see frames from $100 and frame and barrel for $200. Who has the triggers and firing pins and on and on? What do you think? (sarcoinc.com) I recall a member here building up a 1911. Any other opinions?

I've been thinking about building a 1911 myself and have been looking at www.fusionfirearms.com . They even have a video that you can watch that is a bit long winded but they tell you all about the company. One thing that I really like about them is that they have kits that you can buy to where they match up the slides to the frame as well as the barrels. With one of the kits come in a hunters package with a 6 inch barrel. Has anyone worked with them and what does the rest of you think of them or does anyone know of any other companies that that do the same thing.. Thanks.

For another economical option check fosterind.com they get the Caspian "blemish" frames/slides. I've heard everything from no visual blemish seen, to very very small blemishes but usually nothing big. I'd love to build a 1911, but do some reading here:
http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Building a 1911 is not like an AR, very few parts are drop in parts, and there is alot that needs to be paid attention to.

Oh and to add- look at maybe getting a Springfield GI/Milspec or a rock island for a cheap starting platform. That way you can start with easier things and move up as you learn.

Built 2- STI's from raw frames and slides.(STI-both) Buying many parts and pieces is no problem, but waiting to you have them all in one place, then fitting as Krawl and others have indicated can sometimes be an issue.
A good barrel, fitted bushing, and lug are very important. The trigger group, springs, and all are tricky but do-able. The disconnector, extractor, grip safety and springs for them are very important and will make reliability either go or no go. With all this said, once complete and working, deciding up sites, and then finish is still to a ways to go.
Cold bluing is not as pretty as Hot- bluing and the new Duracoat finishes are great too. All together the cheap frames and slides are less than 1/3 the total costs of finishing the project.
If you use good or better internals all the way, you will be in the project about 2x the costs of the initial 2 pieces.
If you have lots of parts already on hand, get a build, or schematic sheet and see what you DON't have, where you might get them, and costs including shipping. Remember the last 2 or 3 parts to finish are the most expensive, not because the cost 3-5 or 20$ but because you stopped your build, paid shipping and hard to jump back on the learning curve to finish.
With all that said, I enjoyed the 2+ MONTHS to build mine, have some regrets on things I would like to have done, but both are great pieces. Might still buy a custom factory built on some day. Not sure why, but OH well, just my .02cents worth.
Good Luck..

Great info. <members of this forum/board ROCK>

So it seems to me, researching quality of internal parts and finishing too are needed. It also seems that you all have had enjoyable times with your projects too both before and later using them. Like many assembly or build projects, it probably is easy to spend more than a retail finished firearm.

Thanks for the links and advice.

Johann

The Sarco frame I got came without the hole drilled for the mainspring housing pin. Luckily I had a 1911 frame to match it up and locate the hole. Not a good first impression. Other items for the 1911, from Sarco are decent quality.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top