JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, a lot of people are talking about bugging out, heading for the hills, the woods, the mountains and . . . And what? Maybe more to point, why are you running and from whom and how long do you plan on being gone? People are talking of back packs (aka bug out bags) sitting right by the front door, all ready to slip on as you slip away. But where do you plan on going to? Seems to me staying home, defending your property and enjoying your own nice warm relatively safe house would be a better thing to do. Or a camper or a trailer, that way everything is right there ready for you to put the key in the ignition and go. I don't know about you but I'm getting a wee too old to be foraging in the woods for my next meal and sleeping on the ground. Not that I couldn't do it if I had to but . . .
But say they come after our guns? They can't take all of them at the same instant, so . . . Whose would they come after first? Hmmm, city folk would be my guess? And who would they send to get our firearms? Cops? Soldiers? DEA, CIA, FBI, BATF or . . . Maybe all of the above but if they use our own GI's against us, and no it's not like they haven't used US Troops against us before, but if they did . . . Well, that would be all out war. ROE? NONE!
But where would you run to? Me? I think I'll just sit tight, defend my house & property, maybe get me a few of those big old bear traps & place them around the yard, you know, sort of like welcome mats for your unwelcome guest.

Neat thoughts, but get your tin foil hat out for this. :s0131: Lets just say that our troops our over seas right now practicing in real life "urban combat" dealing with a much more explosive "bear trap".

My house is not defensible.
not even close.

I'll be leaving.
And I won't need roads of they aren't open.

It's something at least.

BUT... the best laid plans of mice and men, bla bla bla

Hey, a lot of people are talking about bugging out, heading for the hills, the woods, the mountains and . . . And what? Maybe more to point, why are you running and from whom and how long do you plan on being gone? People are talking of back packs (aka bug out bags) sitting right by the front door, all ready to slip on as you slip away. But where do you plan on going to? Seems to me staying home, defending your property and enjoying your own nice warm relatively safe house would be a better thing to do. Or a camper or a trailer, that way everything is right there ready for you to put the key in the ignition and go. I don't know about you but I'm getting a wee too old to be foraging in the woods for my next meal and sleeping on the ground. Not that I couldn't do it if I had to but . . .
But say they come after our guns? They can't take all of them at the same instant, so . . . Whose would they come after first? Hmmm, city folk would be my guess? And who would they send to get our firearms? Cops? Soldiers? DEA, CIA, FBI, BATF or . . . Maybe all of the above but if they use our own GI's against us, and no it's not like they haven't used US Troops against us before, but if they did . . . Well, that would be all out war. ROE? NONE!
But where would you run to? Me? I think I'll just sit tight, defend my house & property, maybe get me a few of those big old bear traps & place them around the yard, you know, sort of like welcome mats for your unwelcome guest.

What if your house has burned to the ground?

People with wives and younger sons and daughters (like me) cannot even consider a bug out to the hills on foot with backpacks. Their security and survivability is totally dependent on me and I can't even begin to carry everything to support them. I have a newer 32' motorcoach with current maintenance and new tires, stocked and ready to go at a moment's notice. It will support us for a while in the event of an occurence that requires us to leave the local area (think of Mt. St. Helens blowing southward towards Portland, instead of northward towards nearly uninhabited forestland). In the event of a catastrophy that affects the entire country, why even bother to bug out...there'd be nowhere to go.

Keith

My bugout bag is not the automatic grab if things go pear shaped. My first thought would be to hunker down in my home and defend my home and family. But when this no longer becomes possible (which is quite likely, as a wildfire is probably the most likely problem in my area, not a government invasion), I have a bugout bag that would allow me to survive well, whether I'm at an emergency shelter, a camp in the woods, or "bugging-out" to a more suitable location...

I see a lot of people spending thousands of dollars on a bail out plan and equipment but don't have the true survival skills to live in the woods for more than a week or two. Why is nobody building "survival" type shelters in their homes, on their property, or even close by in an urban environment nowadays? People need to remember they need to match their weakest skills to their plan whatever it may be.

After a natural disaster " Bugging IN" is usually a good thing if your house is in a safe area and good repair. We bugged in after getting 5# per sq foot of ash from St helens... clean-up took months, and many people got overwhelmed and just left.

IF HOWEVER there is a "Disaster" that sees us with Chinese or Korean ships coming to "Lend Aid", after all the times they've vowed to inihilate the USA> I will be East of here very quickly.

Portland has been very anti - military, lost the Air force, and is quite litteraly very vulnerable! Yeah Lane county. Portland is also very easily cut off & containable.

Most people have less than a weeks groceries on hand, and wouldn't know what to do in the face of an invading force. I've lived in the asian regions and very well understand Americans do not think like the rest of the world. We value life differently.
We value mercy... Asian culture is to "the Master", Master can come before family and before mercy.
Take some time to honor a returned Vet and run this by a survivor of a Japanese, Korean, or Vietnamese POW camp... Some people might find this a real Eye opener.
If it's an invading force, Bugging out, no matter how hard, could be far better than submission.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top