JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This may not apply to everyone but I have given this some thought lately. From where I live I can be in the NF in minutes on my Polaris 500 and it's trailer can haul a lot and with great fuel range. I have camped on the Deschutes River and have made treks back to my house via the woods on it. Like I said the advantage may only apply to those of us who have the ability to access the woods/desert areas from home but given the ability and the versatility of the quad I see no disadvantage - other than a mechanical breakdown. Any thoughts on this?

Though we both agree with SF on this, as a contingency I think it's a great idea for where you live. Where I live, with bridges/rivers everywhere, that's not so much as easy a solution. I would make sure you have a winch and a way to cut wood/eliminate obstacles, but beyond that, I see nothing but great things, quads are the new improved VW Baja as far as I am concerned.

can be great urban vehicles when roads are clogged and cars abandoned. my dirt bike will easily go over most terrain, including sidewalks etc when nessecary.

how so? guy on quad headed down the trail with a trailer load of stuff the A-hole sniper needs for his family. Really who will win?

The same could be said for anything though. No matter what you're doing or what your mode of travel is, a hidden sniper could still ruin your day. Why not just say it's a bad idea because an airplane could crash into him while he's going down the trail, or a 16 ton weight could fall out of nowhere and smash him flat.

While an ATV has decent fuel consumption, it also has a fairly small fuel tank. You can put more jerry cans of gas in the back, but it takes up storage for other things too. It may be a little better about negotiating terrain than a 4WD truck, but it lacks heat, AC, 12v power point, enough room to sleep inside the canopy, door locks, etc. It's typically louder, too. Tow capacity is miniscule.

Count me in (ideal world, don't have it all yet) for a 4WD pickup, with crew cab and canopy as primary bugout vehicle. Custom built overhead rack that extends over the cab and allows the canopy to be installed or removed independently of the rack. Custom push-bar grill with winch, and custom rear bumper with receiver hitch. Rear bumper should be big enough to use as a small work space, perhaps even mount a vice and/or crane based on a come-along.

While an ATV has decent fuel consumption, it also has a fairly small fuel tank. You can put more jerry cans of gas in the back, but it takes up storage for other things too. It may be a little better about negotiating terrain than a 4WD truck, but it lacks heat, AC, 12v power point, enough room to sleep inside the canopy, door locks, etc. It's typically louder, too. Tow capacity is miniscule.

Count me in (ideal world, don't have it all yet) for a 4WD pickup, with crew cab and canopy as primary bugout vehicle. Custom built overhead rack that extends over the cab and allows the canopy to be installed or removed independently of the rack. Custom push-bar grill with winch, and custom rear bumper with receiver hitch. Rear bumper should be big enough to use as a small work space, perhaps even mount a vice and/or crane based on a come-along.

You can get to lots of places on an ATV that you cant in a truck, but you can get lots of places in a truck that you cant on an ATV. The need for a particular type of vehicle or equipment is going to be dictated by your location and what your planning for. I disagree about 12v as both of mine have power points. Noise and tow capacity is going to be dictated by the machine. Both of mine are reasonably quite (no louder then a truck) with stock exhaust. The tow rating on mine is 1500 lbs while not as much as a truck is pretty reasonable. I have lots of storage space, 3000lb winch (not installed yet in pic), and basically run flat tires. These things are amazing, I like my old one '02 but my new '10 is way better.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

I stand corrected about the 12v power point. I'll concede that in some circumstances an ATV might be better than a truck, but I honestly can't picture such a scenario. I'll stand by my comments about towing and hauling capacity.

The other factor is cost: I've had incredible sticker shock when I looked at ATVs. Especially the larger Polaris or Gator ATVs. $12k-$15k is not unusual. You can buy a very dependable used truck for that, and get real value for it. I'm talking about a daily work vehicle, with highway capability. No offense, but ATVs still fall into the realm of overly expensive toys, to me. I would go extreme minimalist and get a dual-sport motorcycle long before an ATV.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top