JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did ya get her apart?

If not pm me and maybe you can swing by tomorrow and I'll get her apart.

Wife recently got a new Ruger Mark III. [disclaimer] While I wasn't looking she attempted to seat an empty magazine backwards. T'was done so well that no one but the Ruger CS could get it out again. The pistol is back not too much the worse for wear. I have always said that experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes. Pistols are finely machined contraptions that can confound even the most experienced handlers proving again that nothing is fool proof.

Wife recently got a new Ruger Mark III. [disclaimer] While I wasn't looking she attempted to seat an empty magazine backwards. T'was done so well that no one but the Ruger CS could get it out again. The pistol is back not too much the worse for wear. I have always said that experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes. Pistols are finely machined contraptions that can confound even the most experienced handlers proving again that nothing is fool proof.

Those magazines look like they should go in backwards - I've had many new to them shooters get confused when trying to load them.

I gave it a stern look and it decided to come apart!

image.jpeg

I can say from personal experience that even if you screw up your Ruger (of any model), they will almost certainly fix it for you once and send you a little message in the return package that essentially says "That's your free one." They're very nice about it, though. Still makes you feel stupid. Like folks said, we've all been there, especially with those nifty little pistols.

Glad to hear you got her back apart. You'll likely do it again, trust me!

Now that it's apart, you should consider putting one of these bushings in. A Volquartsen sear and one of these made an incredible in the trigger on my MKIII:

<broken link removed>

Just buy a Volquartsen MarkII accurizing kit with the bushing. Get rid of the magazine disconnect and improve your trigger. The old MarkII kit didn't come with the bushing, new ones do. I think they figured out that people are using the kit to eliminate the disconnect, so they included the bushing in the kit.

You must learn the angle of the dangle. Make sure that the hammer strut hits the spring properly....

This is correct. If you feel a slight springy-resistance when the housing is within about 1/4" of being flush, then you are good to press the housing in place, and lock the housing lever.

If there is no resistance, and the housing goes flush without some spring pressure, then the hammer strut is not seated properly and needs to be set correctly.

I may as well post my findings. The hammer strut somehow found its way up and wedged itself partially behind the sear retaining pin. It's very common, and once it's stuck. Oh boy it's stuck! Then try to disassemble and the strut itself becomes damaged.

Bend the strut back into shape, assemble and test fired. Works just like its suppose to now.
Now to disassemble and install a new strut and cross pin.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top