JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a 22/45 and shot it a couple times then decided to replace the sear and hammer with replacements from Volquartson.

Well I re-assembeled it wrong and now it won't fire and it won't disassemble.

Specifically now when I try and remove the mainspring housing, it only moves a quarter inch or so and won't remove any further.

I will take what abuse anyone might want to heap on me, but I need to get this fixed. Does anyone know what gunsmith locally to take it to get it fixed? Alternately is there someone that has messed these things up enough to be able to help?

Likely you did not get the hammer pin into the mainspring housing when putting it pack together.

The biggest PITA with these little guys is learning the in and outs of the magazine and the hammer pin.

If it still isn't fixed by Thursday and you want to come by I'll get it up and running and show you how to take down and put back together.

As it sits right now, if you want to give it a go, you may need to insert a mag and pull the trigger. Then drop the mag, remove the back mainspring. Ensure you did not miss the hammer pin placement. If so you don't really need to go any further. Just get the hammer pin aligned with the housing and reinstall the mainspring housing. Put your mag back in. Cock it, drop the bolt and pull the trigger. Should go ting.

Likely you did not get the hammer pin into the mainspring housing when putting it pack together.

The biggest PITA with these little guys is learning the in and outs of the magazine and the hammer pin.

If it still isn't fixed by Thursday and you want to come by I'll get it up and running and show you how to take down and put back together.

As it sits right now, if you want to give it a go, you may need to insert a mag and pull the trigger. Then drop the mag, remove the back mainspring. Ensure you did not miss the hammer pin placement. If so you don't really need to go any further. Just get the hammer pin aligned with the housing and reinstall the mainspring housing. Put your mag back in. Cock it, drop the bolt and pull the trigger. Should go ting.[/QUOTE

Sounds easy.
My first attempt went to Volquartson:(
Beautiful job they did.
Almost made me glad I could't do it.
Easy to ship as the frame is not the gun.

I can't remove the back mainspring is the problem. I'd be happy to buy beer/cider for your effort or pass you a Tubman or two.

You likely wedged the pin in there between the grip frame and the housing as it likely is not in the channel it is supposed to be in.

Try this.

Insert mag. Cock, if able. Drop bolt with mag still seated. Pull trigger. What happens here? Do you here the hammer drop under pressure?

If yes, sounds like it was assembled correctly and might be missing something on your bolt.

If no, hammer pin is not aligned and inserted into mainspring.

Then, remove mag after the above steps. Ensuring safe. Whack the muzzle against something to try and move the hammer forward. You may just knock the topside of the receiver upside down on your hand to get the hammer to move up and forward.

Pull the detent on the housing back. This may need force if you wedged the pin between the housing and the frame.

If you manage this you should be in the clear to reassemble correctly.

That is of coarse, that is the problem.

You should know if this is the problem if your hammer is limp inside the receiver. If it has tension, then there is something else going on.

Also to note. You cannot remove the back housing if the hammer is cocked and there is tension on the housing. The hammer must be dropped and forward.

Thinking about this I wonder if your Hammer has been cocked this whole time and that is why you can not get the housing off.

If that is the case there is likely something up with the new trigger/sear not wanting to allow the hammer to drop.

If the new trigger is adjustable at the trigger via a set screw. You may want to mess around with it to see if you can get the hammer to drop.

Of coarse, remember that the hammer will not fall without a magazine installed too. Which is another issue you may have messed up if the hammer is in fact cocked. If the new set up does not allow for the magazine fire release to disengage you may never be able to drop the hammer, again not allowing the mainspring housing to come off.

So here is my steps to decipher what is wrong. Now that I typed all that...

Not too sure about your new hammer/sear set up, but before you get to #3 it may be good to know if you have installed a magazine disconnect delete with your new guts.

1.) Figure out if the hammer is limp or under tension. If limp do as I typed above.

2.) If hammer is not limp and is in fact cocked. Start with the magazine inserted and try messing with the set screw on your new trigger, if it has one. Pulling the trigger every so often to see if the hammer will drop. Once dropped issue should be resolved.

3.) If the trigger seems to not be the issue and the magazine fire release might be the issue. I would try forcefully, seating the magazine roughly, while simultaneously pulling the trigger a few times. If the hammer drops doing this. Do not pull the action back again. Disassemble, remove new guts and send them back for repair. May be something up with the magazine disconnect.

After these steps with no results, I would call it a day and likely send it in.

When you get your pistol running, take it home and watch a video on how to disassemble and reassemble it.

Then do it as many times as you think you need too to remember the stupid details on those things.

Great guns but finicky to assemble without directions or seeing it done.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! YOU MESSED UP YOUR PISTOL!!!

Don't feel too bad, most of us have done something of the like in our time too!:) SRG

I know. I deserve a little derision. However remember this Sargeant Nambu, if that *is* your real name... Someday you are going to do something as dumb and I am going to be there with an all caps taunt. You just see if I won't.. ;-)

You must learn the angle of the dangle. Make sure that the hammer strut hits the spring properly, before snapping it shut. I think that almost every Ruger Mark 2/3 owner has locked it up, at least once. Good luck.

Drive out the pin for the hammer and it will then come apart.

I forgot about this. This is the surefire way to get her apart. I had to do this the 1st time I locked mine up as I gave up trying to get the hammer to go forward...

Well, I guess I can hop on the happy bandwagon. I got the 22/45 MKIII Hunter Target model in the fluted stainless. First mistake, wanting to make it better. Second mistake, taking it apart not knowing what I was doing. So I put all the parts in a baggy and figured I'd have to take it to a gunsmith in town. I polished them guts nice and slick. Couldnt wait any longer. Watched a vid on YouBoob and oh so nice. Good, accurate, efficient little pistol it is.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top