Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Buggered reassembly of Ruger 22/45 won't fire, can't dissassemble

Reno

Reactions
Did ya get her apart?

If not pm me and maybe you can swing by tomorrow and I'll get her apart.

Reactions
Wife recently got a new Ruger Mark III. [disclaimer] While I wasn't looking she attempted to seat an empty magazine backwards. T'was done so well that no one but the Ruger CS could get it out again. The pistol is back not too much the worse for wear. I have always said that experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes. Pistols are finely machined contraptions that can confound even the most experienced handlers proving again that nothing is fool proof.

Joe13

Reactions
Wife recently got a new Ruger Mark III. [disclaimer] While I wasn't looking she attempted to seat an empty magazine backwards. T'was done so well that no one but the Ruger CS could get it out again. The pistol is back not too much the worse for wear. I have always said that experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes. Pistols are finely machined contraptions that can confound even the most experienced handlers proving again that nothing is fool proof.
Those magazines look like they should go in backwards - I've had many new to them shooters get confused when trying to load them.

Reactions
Agreed! They are now fully loaded with silver sharpie markings pointing to the front. LOL I did buy the MagOut tool and carry it in my range bag"just in case".

Reactions
I can say from personal experience that even if you screw up your Ruger (of any model), they will almost certainly fix it for you once and send you a little message in the return package that essentially says "That's your free one." They're very nice about it, though. Still makes you feel stupid. Like folks said, we've all been there, especially with those nifty little pistols.

Reno

Reactions
Glad to hear you got her back apart. You'll likely do it again, trust me!

BlindedByScience

Reactions
Now that it's apart, you should consider putting one of these bushings in. A Volquartsen sear and one of these made an incredible in the trigger on my MKIII:

<broken link removed>

Reactions
Just buy a Volquartsen MarkII accurizing kit with the bushing. Get rid of the magazine disconnect and improve your trigger. The old MarkII kit didn't come with the bushing, new ones do. I think they figured out that people are using the kit to eliminate the disconnect, so they included the bushing in the kit.

Reactions
You must learn the angle of the dangle. Make sure that the hammer strut hits the spring properly....
This is correct. If you feel a slight springy-resistance when the housing is within about 1/4" of being flush, then you are good to press the housing in place, and lock the housing lever.

If there is no resistance, and the housing goes flush without some spring pressure, then the hammer strut is not seated properly and needs to be set correctly.

Reactions: ron
OP
G

Goosebrown

Reactions
I was going to give you a hint with the video but @Velzey beat me to it :) The fix is so simple you will be shake your head in disbelief that you didn't try it an hour earlier lol
Tried it and it didn't work. I didn't want to damage things so I actually went to a gunsmith for this one. Its my kid's pistol... Can't mess it up too bad.

OP
G

Goosebrown

Reactions
It's broke. Time to get another one. I'll gladly dispose of that broken one for you.
LMAO

Thank you so much.

Honestly it shoots great and is light enough for my son. I really wanted to have him get the mkIII. But he tried them all and I wanted to get him what would be best for him. If he likes it he shoots it.

Velzey

Reactions
I may as well post my findings. The hammer strut somehow found its way up and wedged itself partially behind the sear retaining pin. It's very common, and once it's stuck. Oh boy it's stuck! Then try to disassemble and the strut itself becomes damaged.

Bend the strut back into shape, assemble and test fired. Works just like its suppose to now.
Now to disassemble and install a new strut and cross pin.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've done many transfers with these guys. They know their stuff, they're very approachable and...
    • Art_Vandelay
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've always felt comfortable at J&B, first time I ever went there I walked out with a new Glock...
    • Zapata47
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Maybe I'm biased since I live 5 minutes away, but Peter and his crew have always been friendly...
    • Zapata47
  • Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    It has been a while since I have been in the store just because I don't get to downtown Tigard...
    • bobcat7677
  • Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Love all the Guys and Gals, the redbeard is pleased. Even if it wasn't 1 min away from my house...
    • SVT-ROY