JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
well i finally got all the parts together

new Stevens 200 action in 270 $200.
savage vlp long action stock $50.
.308 22" varmint barrel $50.
egw 20moa rail $39.
SSS tac bolt handle $20.
SSS metal trigger gard $20.
SSS fluted bolt $70.
SSS Competition Trigger $97

$596.00

not bad price

DSCN1117.jpg
DSCN1119.jpg
DSCN1120.jpg

Nice gun! Let us know how it shoots. I recently finished a Savage 260 build myself. 10PC action+stock, Pac-Nor supermatch barrel, some small goodies from Savage Shooters Supply and a Bushnell 4200 6-24 tactical scope. Not as low budget as yours but everything I wanted except for some really good glass. It ran about a grand not including the scope I already had. That Bushnell gets a little hazy over 20 power. I'm saving for a Nightforce but budget and Nightforce probably don't belong in the same post! 6 shot groups fired at 110 yards off the hood of my truck measured center to center. The first measures .800", remove my flier and it's .440". The second measured .675". Next project build is a 338-06 for elk hunting.

MVC-051S.JPG

MVC-052S.JPG

MVC-053S.JPG

i found the stock at L&L guns in battleground. it was sitting with a bunch of wood stocks in a corner. the scope is a Nikon buck master 4.5x14. i put the 1/4 moa turrets for a monarch on it. no modding to the scope, they fit good. i still want to bed it then we shoot. maybe after hunting season.

How much was the scope? Not in the 596.00 price?

I know it is nice to build one for cheap. I went that rout but spent about 700 to 800 and ended up with a nice SPS.

yes the barrel was used but great shape. i got the scope at manventure.com for $247.65 . the best price i can find for scopes. no place better. i added the turrets. there for a monarch. but they fit like they should be there. the price on the scope is not in the price.

<broken link removed>

Nice gun! Let us know how it shoots. I recently finished a Savage 260 build myself. 10PC action+stock, Pac-Nor supermatch barrel, some small goodies from Savage Shooters Supply and a Bushnell 4200 6-24 tactical scope. Not as low budget as yours but everything I wanted except for some really good glass. It ran about a grand not including the scope I already had. That Bushnell gets a little hazy over 20 power. I'm saving for a Nightforce but budget and Nightforce probably don't belong in the same post! 6 shot groups fired at 110 yards off the hood of my truck measured center to center. The first measures .800", remove my flier and it's .440". The second measured .675". Next project build is a 338-06 for elk hunting.

my next build i'm hoping will be the savage scout in 308. but i need to sell my savage 110 7mm first.

plans for the scout will include lots of SSS parts, like the competition trigger, recoil lug, the 10 round detachable clip. new barrel (338-06):s0131:, timed and trued, tac bolt handle, and the Burris Scout Scope 2.75X. thinking:huh:.....?

Mostly finished my 338-06. I started with a stainless long action and added an Adams & Bennet 338-06 barrel cut down to 20.5". It also has a SSS recoil lug and one of their tactical bolt handles. Then I had the whole thing Duracoated semi-gloss black. Finally, I modified an olive and black spider web Bell & Carlson Medalist stock with the aluminum skeleton to fit the accutrigger center feed action. It relatively short and makes a sweet handling gun for hunting in the coast range where it's usually pretty brushy. My only complaint would be the Decelerator recoil pad is nowhere near as good as the Savage marshmallow pad from the factory plastic stock. It shoots pretty nice with that aluminum bedding, averaging around .7" for 3 shots, shoots even better on occasion.

MVC-054S.JPG

MVC-056S.JPG

Mostly finished my 338-06. I started with a stainless long action and added an Adams & Bennet 338-06 barrel cut down to 20.5". It also has a SSS recoil lug and one of their tactical bolt handles. Then I had the whole thing Duracoated semi-gloss black. Finally, I modified an olive and black spider web Bell & Carlson Medalist stock with the aluminum skeleton to fit the accutrigger center feed action. It relatively short and makes a sweet handling gun for hunting in the coast range where it's usually pretty brushy. My only complaint would be the Decelerator recoil pad is nowhere near as good as the Savage marshmallow pad from the factory plastic stock. It shoots pretty nice with that aluminum bedding, averaging around .7" for 3 shots, shoots even better on occasion.

is that a longaction or short? it looks long.

It's a long action. It has to be to fit 338-06. If you want a 338 for your short action look into 338 Federal. I did and didn't like the low velocity from a 20" barrel with a 210gr bullet. I checked Hodgdon's and Barnes websites and decided a 338-06 is a better fit for what I wanted to do. Put a longer barrel on a 338 Fed and it's okay but the 20 inchers I use for prowling the coast range jungle really cut the velocity.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top