JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have carried two firearms back when I hunted... Today one is plenty but I can see in today's culture where more than one would be handy. You could arm those friends too lazy to carry their own.:D

For self-defense yes.

A full sized semi-auto, and then a sub-compact semi-auto, usually in the same caliber if possible.

An example (not necessarily what I currently carry) would be a SIG P229 and a Kahr PM9 in 9mm.

For hunting, when I used to hunt, I would have a hunting rifle and usually a rimfire handgun.

Yes, over the last year.
Sometimes on me, other times in my bag.

As many have said, with whats going on these days in the world higher capacity or even a spare firearm are becoming a norm for carry.

I used to carry full sized, then went to a revolver, now Im into compacts and subcompacts, often both at the same time.

At first, it felt cumbersome, odd and over paranoid.. But the more I carried two firearms and thought of scrnarios where it would come in handy while I worked and walked around town I became a fan of carrying a B.U.G.

Im usually with my family, Im always armed, my Father is armed.. The ladies of our family often are not.. But picture a shooter inside a mall. We have cover or at worst, concealment. Or pergaps two of us have one and the other two have another..
We can multiply our force by 1-2 if we carry a back up firearm. One shooter would now face 3-4 depending on who was armed and had a B.U.G.
Three firearms and 3 sets of eyes is far more dangerous than a single set of eyes and one firearm increasing our chance for survival.

So yes, all in all I carry a BUG.
Sometimes it changes carry pisition and firearm. But as of late its a subcompact 9mm and a compact 9mm. IWB and OWB or In a pack.

Generally only when hunting, a handgun in addition to my rifle.

Or when traveling, I'll have a rifle or shotgun

In the city, my knife is my back up. By the time I/we realize my gun isn't/stopped working then I'd rather have a knife for close combat, but that's mostly training and comfort.

I seldom carry and didn't much carry back in washington.If i went to Tacoma or Seattle I would have a gun on me but usually just in the vehicle.
Now I don't much go to malls for anything,don't like people that much any more.
Heck out here your back up is for animals or some sort of game.Cougars,grouse,coyotes,bear
The first gun is for deer or elk,lol
Of course this area shows how an armed society is a polite society.

I carry an M&P9c and I've been considering carrying an BUG on and off for many years. I've thought that a Glock 42 or 43 might be a good BUG, and I've been giving more consideration to getting one lately. Probably carry it in an ankle holster.

I am truly curious what the situations are where your primary handgun goes down and you have time to retrieve a second gun - especially the people who ankle carry.

I am not knocking it I just want to understand. The only situation I can think of would be a fire fight from behind cover.

I am truly curious what the situations are where your primary handgun goes down and you have time to retrieve a second gun - especially the people who ankle carry.

I am not knocking it I just want to understand. The only situation I can think of would be a fire fight from behind cover.

Its not just in case the primary goes down could be you are grappling or pinned or injured and cannot access one but you can get the other

It was a movies ,yes but it kinda goes with this. The cops were going after someone and knew it would be a fire fight,so the 1 guy grabbed his ankle gun BEFORE they kicked the door down
I guess if you thought poo was getting real you would grab it before hand.
I wouldn't want to try to retrieve my ankle gun mid fight

At work, I carry my duty weapon with 3 spare 17-round magazines for a total of 69 rounds. I also carry a S&W 642 on my weak side. My rationale is that I would want something to go to in a weapons retention situation where my right arm is being used to keep my duty weapon in my holster. I have a taser on my weak side but they are very ineffective if you dont have enough space between you and the target to get enough spread with the probes to effect a large enough area to incapacitate. You cant stun by contact unless you take the cartridge off which requires both hands. Its not that effective anyway, just cases some pain which is easily tolerable. OC is a nightmare I carry only because I have to.

Off duty, I carry a G26 or G17 depending on what Im wearing. I still tend to have my 642 in my weak side pocket.

I don't anymore. I probably didn't like it because I was doing it wrong--Taurus 44 spl in a crappy ankle holster. My G42 would probably work very well in a good ankle holster though. Incidentally, anybody trying to choose between the G42 & G43, I love my G42 but really wish I had waited for the G43.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top