JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have my little 1997 Chevy Blazer. I think folks need to think about fuel also. Where ya gonna get fuel for your BOV? Is your BOV a gas hog? I personally have enough fuel for 1 tank full that I rotate every year. My Blazer is only a 19gal tank but replacing fuel, ignition and various other parts he averages about 19mpg combined; that's unloaded of course. Probably take a little mpg off loaded with "THE ESSENTIALS". I'll take from other "abandoned" vehicles if need be though, but that all can only last so long.

Fuel and range can be an issue, but how much commuting are you going to do once you reach your BOL? I go into town twice a month now that I am retired. At least 20-30 miles each way. I run errands too - maybe going out of my way a bit to buy ammo/guns. I use half a tank a month - usually less. My daily driver gets the upper 20s into the 30s if long distance on the highway.

If SHTF, I would probably be doing even less driving. There were times when I was unemployed where I did not drive for a month. Where are you going to drive to if all of the roads/bridges/etc. are blocked? All most people need is to get home and/or to their BOL. If your home/BOL is more than one tankful away, then you have problems, but once there, you would be advised to stay there - if possible, and in certain situations (Cascadian earthquake) we would have little choice as travel would not be possible for months if not longer.

I have 55+ gallons of treated gasoline in my shop. I use that mostly for my property maintenance (brush clearing, etc.). If SHTF it would last me for years unless I needed to use my genset, but I would likely not be driving anywhere after the initial month or so.

It's good to have options,
The Ram can pull my flatbed with my Toyota's on it.

3079A14E-B45A-4117-B810-3E480B843C5F.jpeg B71C31EF-E837-485C-925C-4381D36C3029.jpeg 097CD42A-3D4C-486E-B1C0-86BDAA777ACF.jpeg

If you had to bug out, what kind of vehicle do you use. Special vehicle or daily driver, emp resistant? Do you keep it fueled up, do you practice never letting the vehicle get less than half a tank, do you store extra fuel, parts, etc?

My rig, always a work in process when I have some time...View attachment 856356

Have the parts to convert to run WVO and about 400 gallons of WVO at home plus 2 centrifuges to process WVO. Pull out solar panels, 200w solar on the trailer, soldering work station, Satellite TV, both vehicle and trailer have independent diesel electric furnaces onboard for heat in colder temps.

is it 7.3 IDI . or SUPER DUTY . always tanks full

If you had to bug out, what kind of vehicle do you use. Special vehicle or daily driver, emp resistant? Do you keep it fueled up, do you practice never letting the vehicle get less than half a tank, do you store extra fuel, parts, etc?

My rig, always a work in process when I have some time...View attachment 856356

Have the parts to convert to run WVO and about 400 gallons of WVO at home plus 2 centrifuges to process WVO. Pull out solar panels, 200w solar on the trailer, soldering work station, Satellite TV, both vehicle and trailer have independent diesel electric furnaces onboard for heat in colder temps.

the storage tall door behind the drivers door , looks like a gun safe to me . close up the outside and put the door inside . :s0043:

Judging by how bad traffic gets just with regular life, I have no presumptions the road would be effective in trying to get anywhere in a major emergency. Plus - after everyone flees their homes, it sounds like a lot of survival resources would be available.

Tactical wheelbarrow and attack cat.

The EMP made even my 02 Ram and 99 XJ useless lumps of roadside detritus.

It was only a couple of years ago that l divested myself of my last carburated, non-electronic vehicle, and even that had electronic ignition for everyday reliability... not sure how that would come out in an EMP attack, even without a computer.

Ding, ding, ding! EMP is the killer. No electronics - make sure you have a points distributor - or you're what we call a "pedestrian."

Last Edited:
We have discussed it and decided that we would be better off hunkering down than trying to flee in stopped traffic.
Assuming we survive long enough for transportation to matter: 1949 Suburban with Clifford Research 292, Getrag 5-sp. & posi rear end.

GMC motor home/RV, well ahead of their time from a design perspective.
No joke! I would get one of them in a heart beat, fix it up slick and roll that all around the country with my super cub on a trailer behind it! Wish I could find a good cheap forgotten one! Would swap to a Cadillac 500 inch and fuel injection, probably get 30 mpg out of it!

GMC motor home/RV, well ahead of their time from a design perspective.

No joke! I would get one of them in a heart beat, fix it up slick and roll that all around the country with my super cub on a trailer behind it! Wish I could find a good cheap forgotten one! Would swap to a Cadillac 500 inch and fuel injection, probably get 30 mpg out of it!

custom-gmc-motorhome-6x6.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads