JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1617921330557.png

I got 2 of these...one for each foot!
They'll even run on beef jerky and water, although Ham Sammiches and Beer are the preferred Octane.

I've thought about this a few times as we are in earthquake risk area, and our infrastructure is crumbling on it's own, let alone what will happen after the "big one".

Between people being desperate and lawless, infrastructure being closed/damaged/destroyed, I settled on carbureted dual-sport motorcycles being ideal. My DRZ400 would be like a roach....tough to kill and can get way more places than a 4 wheeled vehicle. Also, certain models of the DRZ400 have a carb that is totally unaffected by most elevation changes, so you could get way out of town and it still performs as well as EFI.

Anyways, I don't think too much about "bugout" as we don't have anywhere to go (at this time, darn crazy real estate market!), and it is highly unlikely you could "bug out" without people trying to ruin your day.
This raises another question: bug out, or bug in? Especially when the scenario could be ... another pandemic.

Got me this bad boy, best $6000 I ever spent! Load it up with what ever you need, and back it through walls to make an exit, and plough through any thing!
View attachment 857624

If it isn't 4x4 or 6x6 or at least twin drive, it won't go anywhere in the winter snow/ice.

Even getting up a grassy hill might be difficult.

BTDT

I was looking for a 4x4/6x6 FTL to convert to an RV but gave up. I don't want mil-surplus as most of those are limited to less. than 60 MPH and can be a PITA to maintain.

If it isn't 4x4 or 6x6 or at least twin drive, it won't go anywhere in the winter snow/ice.

Even getting up a grassy hill might be difficult.

BTDT

I was looking for a 4x4/6x6 FTL to convert to an RV but gave up. I don't want mil-surplus as most of those are limited to less. than 60 MPH and can be a PITA to maintain.
It has locking diffs and a locking power divider, so it can be locked into full 4X4 and I also have a full set of chains for it. It also has a "Big Cam" 400 Cummins (NTC/N-14/855) with full Jakes, 13 speed Twin Fuller trans, and in theory, can go 110 MPH, though 65-70 seems about the practical top end! It's not a very comfortable riding truck, but with an air suspension seat, at least it's manageable!

I'm bugging in and not bugging out. If I did have a bug out vehicle I'd pick the last generation of Jeep Cherokee that was built on a frame. Everything was designed for easy access and serviceability. They made them so long that parts are everywhere and cheap. The straight 6 lasts like a diesel. Turning radius is tight and it's off road capable. Just big enough to get you to your BOL or elsewhere with what you need but not too big to slow it down.

Regardless, a BOL should be ready to go in an instant. It needs to be ready packed including food and arms/ammo and topped off. You need a bicycle for each person as well as broken in footware/socks/etc.. You should be able to just about jump in naked with just your keys and split. Run it regularly and keep it serviced.

Make sure you have alternate routes and that you drive them in that loaded vehicle in all conditions as you have no idea when or under what conditions.

Just my 2 cents

It has locking diffs and a locking power divider, so it can be locked into full 4X4 and I also have a full set of chains for it. It also has a "Big Cam" 400 Cummins (NTC/N-14/855) with full Jakes, 13 speed Twin Fuller trans, and in theory, can go 110 MPH, though 65-70 seems about the practical top end! It's not a very comfortable riding truck, but with an air suspension seat, at least it's manageable!

So is the front axle driven?

Or is it a twin screw drive?

From your description it sounds like a twin screw - which is better than single axle and technically a 4x4, but a rear and front driven axle would be better.

So is the front axle driven?

Or is it a twin screw drive?

From your description it sounds like a twin screw - which is better than single axle and technically a 4x4, but a rear and front driven axle would be better.
Just twin screw! For what I use it for, it's more then capable enough, and I can load a 6000 gallon water bladder in the bed and it becomes an instant water tender. It is quite agile off road as long as you don't try deep mud or rock crawling, with a load, it becomes a bit top heavy, and the suspension system isn't very "Flexible" but for what it is, its great. For an urban bug, this would be about perfect for a quick and low profile escape, toss some official looking magnet signs on the doors and no one would look twice at it!

Unfortunately a twin screw would not work for me. During the winter I do not take any vehicles back there that are not tracked.

Even this time of year it would get stuck trying to get it down to my back acreage (rutted pure dirt road with no gravel and drainage cuts across it), and if it did get down there without sliding off the road (my 4x4 would slide off the road too) it would be stuck there until late spring as it could not get back up the grade.

During the winter, if it snowed, it could not get up the paved road - sometimes AWD vehicles can't, and sometimes 4x4s have issues if you aren't careful.

I would love a water truck, could have really used one when burning my slash piles.

My choice of vehicle would be affected by where I live... My thought is if there was an event serious enough that caused me to leave the shelter and security of my home in Seattle, chances are the highway system would have sustained damage. In the coastal Pacific Northwest there would be damaged bridges etc.. I would plan on having to traverse land without roads (to get around the damaged areas) so I would at least want an off-road vehicle with the capabilties of a jeep, perhaps a quad or a two wheeler.
If I was at home in the flatter landscape of Eastern Washington or Eastern Oregon, a 4x4 pickup would probably be my choice.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads