JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking of making a bug out vehicle, any thoughts out there as to what would be good, and affordable, realistic, not best but good and what would you pute in it. Do you Have one if so feel free to post some pics. Would you give it a military paint job, or inconspicuous . Armor? Weapons? Food? Non puncture tires? diesel or gas? How would you equip a rig? How much spare fuel? What do you all think of this?

I asked myself the same question. The answer I came up with was an older multi-fuel M35A2 (Deuce and a 1/2). They are getting a bit hard to find for a decent price. These things will burn almost any flammable liquid in a pinch. They are primarily designed to run on diesel. I have been running mine on used motor oil for months though. They are fairly easy to work on if you are mechanically inclined and do some research. They are big though. They weigh 12,500 lbs. and they dont go very fast. 45 mph is about max. These things will go just about anywhere. Craigs List usually have a few for sale.

Here are some photos of my trucks. I also got myself a 5 ton. I use the 5 ton for pulling my equipment. These rigs get some serious attention though. They are a blast to take to the store. You get to meet lots of Veterans and hear their stories. This is probably my favorite thing about owning these rigs.

One big downside though, they are not inconspicuous.

P1010916.jpg
P1020754.jpg

P1010916.jpg

P1020754.jpg

-in response of a photo of a CUCV and the latest Chevy Silverado "Black Ops prepper edition";
I look at both of those and think of one word:

Target.

Those Truck-o-goodies are very nicely built machines. I would love to have either one. So would any prepper, and anyone starving and dying would kill for one....literally.

I am, and always shall be, a student of Murphy's law. One of which states: "Try to look unimportant, they may be low on ammo."
this is from a friend of mine... he has a good point.
you want to be inconspicuous....while bugging out as a last resort; if you aren't already at your BOL for bugging in by now...

me... I've always liked the Highway Maintenance rigs by Oregon State DOT....particularly the late 80s and early 90s Chevy and F150 based utility trucks...
yes I dont own a car but that doesn't mean I don't think about this a lot....
if it were up to me..

1273934922_93464987_1-Pictures-of--89-F250-Custom-Utility-Truck-Diesel-1273934922.jpg

it'd be loaded with the stuff I need; be running multi-fuel diesel engine with simple 2wd transmission, and when I need to sleep in it, I simply lay across the front bench seat, OR I rig up a hammock and put a tarp over in the back...of course, only after making sure location is secure. I wouldn't paint it camo, tho that is kind of my thing....the less eye-catching, the better...

the K30 CUCV in question;

m1031_cucv_10_of_10.jpg
[/quote]
the Silverado Black Ops edition concept;
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/09/2014-silverado-black-ops-concept-extracts-our-attention/

I have a carbeurated 85 toyota with no smog control. Would I need to ditch the HEI distributor for a points type in case of an EMP? Other than that I think I'm good. I just need gas, air and 12volts. .

eh. Faraday cage the HEI distributor and have spares; and you should be OK. points could help, but thats if you know how to work on one... as in tuning it and such. the toyota could be a good bug out vehicle if it looks crappy already....

a great nerdy comparison, shiny new everything Naboo Royal cruiser
NabooCruiser1.jpg

versus the Millennium Falcon
Millenium%2BFalcon2.JPG

which one would attract the attention of people looking for a ship to steal or ambush or rob?
(or which one would attract the attention of police/military?)

I'd probably choose a pre-Powerstroke F250 or F350. They're pretty simple and certainly plentiful. Tons of them out there under 2 grand. Aside from a Subaru Outback, I can't think of a more common (invisible) vehicle in the NW. Most, if not all, had dual tanks so you can carry plenty of fuel. It should get you anywhere you need to go.

Can't post a pic of mine as I have exceeded the limit on pics for the duration of my membership.

My BOV is a 1959 Land Rover 109 Regular Pickup.

you will want something that will carry you, your family members and all your gear. It should be a 4X4 or better, burn diesel or regular gasoline, be painted a concealable non-descript or common color, be of a manufacture that is common, therefore rolling parts are abundant, and be somewhat easy to work on.

Toyota 4Runner, maybe '92, 2.4L four cylinder, manual transmission, should have decent parts availability at wrecking yards and on the street, about $2,000 or

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40, '75 or earlier, 4.2L 2F engine, Manual Transmission, about $6,500 in decent running stock condition. The '76 had front disk brakes. Parts availability is sketchy.

The tried and true Jeep CJ5 or CJ7, YJ Renegade, etc. prices vary by year and model, parts are plentiful, just pick the best package for you.

Stay away from fuel injection, anything with a computer or catalytic converter. JMO

^^All very capable vehicles^^. Great choices for 1, 2, or maybe 3 people and their gear. Might get a little claustrophobic for 4 or more and the family dog though.

A couple more choices...
Early diesel Suburban 4X4; Dirt cheap, roomy, pretty invisible. Lots of fuel capacity and no computer. Like the F250/F350s of the '80s, their commonly crappy paint is typically faded, chalky and peeling -- Next best thing to camo.
Jeep Wagoneer; Big, roomy, heavy and tough. Could easily be converted back to points ignition if you're worried about EMP. They can be found dirt cheap but parts availability can be tricky.
Cherokee; Medium sized and goes anywhere. Pretty affordable and parts are everywhere. HUGE aftermarket support. If EMP isn't a concern this is a great drivetrain. You might have to get creative to convert to carb/points as I'm not sure that older 4.2 or even Rambler parts are a direct fit.

If you're on your own I would strongly consider a dual sport motorcycle. MUCH more useful since it doesn't require an actual road -- since most will be clogged or impassable in event of a mass exodus. It could be outfitted with a small trailer (maybe 2'X6'?) with motorcycle sized wheels for high ground clearance. Add a plexi fairing, bigger fuel tank, some saddle bags and rear rack. Put your "luxury" items and extra fuel in the trailer in case you need to ditch it. Necessities go in your pack and the saddle bags. If you have to abandon the bike, the pack goes on your back and grab the saddle bags and boogie. If you have a wife/girlfriend (assuming she rides) just make everything X2.

I don't really plan on bugging out, but if I did, this is the rig I would want. Room for a comfortable 4 to 6 people and gear. Vehicle are really going to be of limited value in SHTF. You will be extremely limited in how much fuel will be available and that will be the determining factor as to what kind of a vehicle you will need.

Motorcycles, quads and the new generation ATVs will be the way to move around due to road problems and a bunch of shotheads setting up choke points on the roads to steal your sh*t anyway. Moving cross country is going to be the only way to move. Fuel efficient as well.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2011/bug-out/houston_rita_traffic_small.JPG

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/1010/2969/40023984481_large.jpg

I like these old Ford Bronco II as well...

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/bugg-out-vehicle-68-bronco-side.jpg

129_0504_24z+Chevrolet_Suburban+Front_Driver_Side_View.jpg

houston_rita_traffic_small.JPG

I once considered making a BOV out of a DJ-5 mail jeep ....because there was one for $600; with a straight 6 and 3 speed auto 2wd transmission. (that one has long since been gone) it was going to have two spare wheels/tires, jerry cans on the outside of the rear door, a roof rack custom fitted thats full length (overhangs the engine portion, and is high enough to still allow hood to be opened), and have gear and stuff on the top and on the rear cargo box. it was also going to get a CJ5 4wd transfer case and front axle as well.

My old 1963 Ford 4x4 with the 8 foot Farmer box is perfect. 312 cui. Y block only has 8,000 miles on the rebuild. Needs the bed bottom replaced and I'd like to put dual line brakes on it. Already has a jerry can brace, in fact it came with a nice steel one when Dad bought it new in 1963 at the Ford factory dealer and drove it out from Michigan back to Washington. Jerry can, long gone. Now if I only had about $4K to put in to it. Gas mileage sucks ,though. Reality will probably be my 96 Explorer. Decent mileage, 20 gallon plus tank and AWD. ANd it's already dark green!

Brutus Out

My old 1963 Ford 4x4 with the 8 foot Farmer box is perfect. 312 cui. Y block only has 8,000 miles on the rebuild. Needs the bed bottom replaced and I'd like to put dual line brakes on it. Already has a jerry can brace, in fact it came with a nice steel one when Dad bought it new in 1963 at the Ford factory dealer and drove it out from Michigan back to Washington. Jerry can, long gone. Now if I only had about $4K to put in to it. Gas mileage sucks ,though. Reality will probably be my 96 Explorer. Decent mileage, 20 gallon plus tank and AWD. ANd it's already dark green!

Brutus Out

Nice pickup. I have a 71 F 100 2 wheel drive that is basic farm use. My Dad bought it brand new in the local Ford dealer. Not a bug out rig, but I am not going anywhere. It gets the work done that I need it to.

The Explorer is a good vehicle. I have a 2003 and it works great. It has a lot of miles left in it, but damned electronics is the drawback.

I don't know why we all even debate this. If major SHTF or natural disaster and resulting SHTF, your gas is going to be limited to what you have in your tank, in jerry cans, ( that dates us). Driving on the roads is going to be very much a problem, from being impassable to bandits. That makes these rigs more of an issue than solution. Motorcycles and ATVs will be the dominate form of transportation.

I am only going to touch on one part of this topic.

Camouflage is NOT green, black, and brown colors in "special" patterns. Camouflage IS blending in with what ever you are trying to blend in with.

Depending on where you live, where you are heading, and what you are preparing for will make all those difference. I am 99% sure any specialized rig will stand out like a sore thumb in a bug out situation. If it is a nice rig that looks in good shape and well stocked with provisions will stand out. Driving around in a camo pattern truck or an ambulance while people are driving around in whatever they own with things strapped to all side will make you stand out.

Your best bet to blend in is an older, yet not too old truck of some kind. Canopy would be good too.

There might be situations where you want to look "military" or other but I think those would be less common.

I am only going to touch on one part of this topic.

Camouflage is NOT green, black, and brown colors in "special" patterns. Camouflage IS blending in with what ever you are trying to blend in with.

Depending on where you live, where you are heading, and what you are preparing for will make all those difference. I am 99% sure any specialized rig will stand out like a sore thumb in a bug out situation. If it is a nice rig that looks in good shape and well stocked with provisions will stand out. Driving around in a camo pattern truck or an ambulance while people are driving around in whatever they own with things strapped to all side will make you stand out.

Your best bet to blend in is an older, yet not too old truck of some kind. Canopy would be good too.

There might be situations where you want to look "military" or other but I think those would be less common.

In my area I'd want it to look like rain! LOL!!!

LOVE those old PowerWagons!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads