JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hard choice, for me it would be between the .22 and the .30-30

Since you have a limited choice and don't mention a handgun, I am going to assume your budget is limited. If you have a defensive handgun, then I would suggest that gives a bit of an edge to the .22, otherwise I think the edge is to the .30-30 and I would suggest getting a .22 handgun for small game hunting.

The problem I see is that if you are bugging out, unless you are hundreds of miles away from any people (like the wilds of the Yukon), then you would need something for self-defense. OTOH, a .22 won't take a moose or even an elk, but the .30-30 would.

Again, hard choices here - I would go with the .30-30 and save up for a lightweight something in .22 LR

Personally, I am a three gun guy; a self-defense handgun, a self-defense rifle that can also be used for hunting, and a lightweight .22 rimfire (I have a .22 LR takedown single shot rifle that weighs less than a pound, but it was expensive for what it is).

I'd say the Marlin, had many and love the rifle.
However now my 22 of choice is a Henry Lever Action
Subsonic rounds are sweet for small game and keeping critters away.
But with your choices, Marlin 60 carry more ammo, reliable and accurate.
I have a few boxes of subsonic for my B22/suppressed. I don't think it will reliably cycle the Marlin. The B22 would be a great option if it didn't have a stupid large scope on it right now. FYI - I was potentially exposed to the virus so I am under doctor supervision/self quarantine until 3/30 which is why I can't go out looking for ammo.

Since you have a limited choice and don't mention a handgun, I am going to assume your budget is limited. If you have a defensive handgun, then I would suggest that gives a bit of an edge to the .22, otherwise I think the edge is to the .30-30 and I would suggest getting a .22 handgun for small game hunting.

The problem I see is that if you are bugging out, unless you are hundreds of miles away from any people (like the wilds of the Yukon), then you would need something for self-defense. OTOH, a .22 won't take a moose or even an elk, but the .30-30 would.

Again, hard choices here - I would go with the .30-30 and save up for a lightweight something in .22 LR

Personally, I am a three gun guy; a self-defense handgun, a self-defense rifle that can also be used for hunting, and a lightweight .22 rimfire (I have a .22 LR takedown single shot rifle that weighs less than a pound, but it was expensive for what it is).
I have a Sig SP2022 9mm holstered in the chest rig with 2 mags so I think defense is covered but I'm not too focused on the tactical side my edc is an NAA 22 wmr but I would take the 9mm if I was bugging out.

Based on everybody's input I would plan to pack the Marlin along with my 9mm but I would take the Winchester to grab on a second run back to the truck. To be honest I was kind of leaning towards the .17hmr. I thought it would offer better hunting for small game with a decent amount of ammo. There is something almost poetic about ending up with the old Marlin I started with when I was a kid. Thanks everyone for your input. You folks are a lot of fun! Take care my friends!

I have a Sig SP2022 9mm holstered in the chest rig with 2 mags so I think defense is covered but I'm not too focused on the tactical side my edc is an NAA 22 wmr but I would take the 9mm if I was bugging out.

In that case, the balance leans to the .22 LR, but still, I think I would like the .30-30, and maybe find someway to get a lighter .22 than that Marlin - maybe a pistol.

All my options can change after 3/30 when I can get back out to the range and reconfigure my B22 FV-SR with a light 4X scope, it is really quiet suppressed. Right now it has a big clunky 6-24x50 scope for precision rimfire. I also have a Mossberg MVP Predator in .223/556 with Magpul AR Mags with 500 rounds of 69gr BTHP match grade ammo. I installed a 20moa scope mount and need to remount the Vortex scope to get it back up and running. Talk about heavy though! If I can get my act together I would get ammo for the 30-30 and take is as option 2 with the B22 as option 1. Unfortunately they are not available if anything happened between now and then.

All my options can change after 3/30 when I can get back out to the range and reconfigure my B22 FV-SR with a light 4X scope, it is really quiet suppressed. Right now it has a big clunky 6-24x50 scope for precision rimfire. I also have a Mossberg MVP Predator in .223/556 with Magpul AR Mags with 500 rounds of 69gr BTHP match grade ammo. I installed a 20moa scope mount and need to remount the Vortex scope to get it back up and running. Talk about heavy though! If I can get my act together I would get ammo for the 30-30 and take is as option 2 with the B22 as option 1. Unfortunately they are not available if anything happened between now and then.

I'd take the .30-30 as primary and have the wife hump the Marlin model 60 - unless she's stronger than you, then reverse it :D

Knowing you have others tho - I'd be leaning toward that MVP Predator that takes AR mags. You're more likely to obtain ammo for it in a SHTF scenario than you are the .30-30. Every cop, tac ninja, and soldier out there is probably going to be toting a 5.56/.223 rem so if it came to it, resupply could be easy to obtain. Then again, that .30-30 would get you anything you wanted, so long as your aim was true and you had a righteous shoot...

Ok - now you are mentioning that you have a number of other firearms. I got the impression that all you had was the .30-30, the 22 and the 17.

I give up.
Sorry for the confusion I explained before that I only had the 3 options for now. Can't go to the range to sight in the B22 or the MVP. Quarantined until 3/30. I was wanting input in the event I had to bug out with the option I can use before then.

Whatever that comes to hand at the time of need. I for one would rather spend my time not worrying about such things so much and instead perhaps invest in some high quality water purifying stuff and communication gear and whatever I will need to stay in the woods or elsewhere if it becomes necessary for me and my loved ones to bug out. Most likely we will just have to stay home and hunker down like. Like right now.

Maslow's hierarchy of physical needs. Just me and respectfully.

Three firearms per person capable of safely using them; self-defense rifle and handgun, a .22 rimfire firearm - preferably each person has a firearm that uses the same ammo/mags and parts. After that, concentrate on getting 1K rounds of ammo for each rifle, 500 rounds for each self-defense handgun, 1K rounds for each 22 rimfire. Half the ammo should be self-defense ammo (JHP, JSP, etc.), the rest can be FMJ for practice. For the rimfire, half bulk LRN half hunting ammo - preferably precision.

I wouldn't have any of the 3 you listed.

1. A damn good 22 semi auto like the 10/22 stainless takedown and a few 10 shot mags or a bolt action magazine fed rifle is a must. If you are out in the boonies and go sneezer over breezer and dent the tube on a tube mag (I have) you are up the creek.

2. I'd go for a lever action 44 Mag paired with a 5" S&W 629. If recoil is a bit much go 357 Lever and 4" 686. Taken deer and hundreds of pigs/goats with both and the 357 is surprisingly capable. Remember we shoot pigs like you guys shoot chucks.

3. A good shotgun - I'd take a Lever or Straight Pull (we cant have semi's or pumps here) but a Lever or Straight Pull is just a pump with a different mechanism (go figure?)

4. You guys can have AR's so one of those is also a no brainer.

Nuthin' you cant do with that lot unless the critters run big and dangerous (Grizzly?) where you plan to bug out to. I know you are talking about what you can carry but I'd be moving heaven and earth to take that bunch. Last one I'd ditch would be the 22. Second last would be the 4" 686.

Three firearms per person capable of safely using them; self-defense rifle and handgun, a .22 rimfire firearm - preferably each person has a firearm that uses the same ammo/mags and parts. After that, concentrate on getting 1K rounds of ammo for each rifle, 500 rounds for each self-defense handgun, 1K rounds for each 22 rimfire. Half the ammo should be self-defense ammo (JHP, JSP, etc.), the rest can be FMJ for practice. For the rimfire, half bulk LRN half hunting ammo - preferably precision.

3 guns with ammo while bugging out?

3 guns with ammo while bugging out?

Yes, as I explained before; self-defense centerfire rifle with ammo, self-defense centerfire handgun with ammo, lightweight .22 rimfire firearm for hunting small game.

If you run into medium (deer) to large game (elk or moose), then consider using the self-defense rifle or handgun to take it. If you have the budget, you can find a rimfire rifle that weighs about one pound - otherwise, for about the same $, you can get a dedicated rimfire handgun that weighs a bit more - e.g., Browning Buckmark Lit at two pounds.

Example bug-out loadouts:

PS90 rifle, Five Seven pistol, Buckmark or Pack-Rifle.

AK, Glock, Ruger Mark IV 22 Lite

AR, SIG, PRK (Pack Rifle Kit based on Chipmunk or Crickett)

Don't or not allowed to have an AK/AR/et. al.? Replace that with a .30-30 lever action carbine (or a .308 BLR), or a bolt action in .308/5.56/7.62x39/.303

Don't or not allowed to have a semi-auto centerfire pistol? Replace it with a centerfire revolver in .357/9mm or .44 mag

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top