JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Agreed bugging out means things have went beyond horribly wrong for you.

I live at my BOL, but my kids live in town and in certain scenarios would need to bug out to get up here. It is only about 15 miles, but if a big earthquake hits, they would have to walk at least part of the way as the roads might be impassable. They really should have self-defense arms between there and here.

If a person is away from home and something happens, like an earthquake, what do they have to protect themselves getting home? A Glock 19 with a spare mag or two? What might be ok for day to day protection suddenly feels like almost nothing in a SHTF scenario.

I wouldn't have any of the 3 you listed.

1. A damn good 22 semi auto like the 10/22 stainless takedown and a few 10 shot mags or a bolt action magazine fed rifle is a must. If you are out in the boonies and go sneezer over breezer and dent the tube on a tube mag (I have) you are up the creek.

2. I'd go for a lever action 44 Mag paired with a 5" S&W 629. If recoil is a bit much go 357 Lever and 4" 686. Taken deer and hundreds of pigs/goats with both and the 357 is surprisingly capable. Remember we shoot pigs like you guys shoot chucks.

3. A good shotgun - I'd take a Lever or Straight Pull (we cant have semi's or pumps here) but a Lever or Straight Pull is just a pump with a different mechanism (go figure?)

4. You guys can have AR's so one of those is also a no brainer.

Nuthin' you cant do with that lot unless the critters run big and dangerous (Grizzly?) where you plan to bug out to. I know you are talking about what you can carry but I'd be moving heaven and earth to take that bunch. Last one I'd ditch would be the 22. Second last would be the 4" 686.
Welcome to the forum! :)

I wouldn't have any of the 3 you listed.

1. A damn good 22 semi auto like the 10/22 stainless takedown and a few 10 shot mags or a bolt action magazine fed rifle is a must. If you are out in the boonies and go sneezer over breezer and dent the tube on a tube mag (I have) you are up the creek.

a) You can still single load most any .22 rimfire rifle regardless of the mag type. For decades I used a Marlin .22 RF rifle that had the mag fall apart - I single loaded it until I was an adult and I earned enough to buy a new mag.

b) With many bolt or lever action .22 RF rifles that have a tube mag, you can shoot S/L/LR, which is a definite advantage.

c) With a tube mag, you are not going to lose the mag.

2. I'd go for a lever action 44 Mag paired with a 5" S&W 629. If recoil is a bit much go 357 Lever and 4" 686. Taken deer and hundreds of pigs/goats with both and the 357 is surprisingly capable. Remember we shoot pigs like you guys shoot chucks.

3. A good shotgun - I'd take a Lever or Straight Pull (we cant have semi's or pumps here) but a Lever or Straight Pull is just a pump with a different mechanism (go figure?)

Tube mags on most lever actions and repeating shotguns - what if you go "sneezer over beezer"? Much more important with a self-defense long gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top