JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings All! I hope you are all staying safe out there. I have been slowly putting together a bugout bag setup and recent events convinced me I should probably get it all together. I'm down to which rifle should I include in the setup. I have some decent options that I recently rescoped and haven't sighted so that leaves me with these three to choose from:

1. My trusty old Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 22lr - Tube feed 17+1 semi auto (ultra reliable) with a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 (overkill on the scope) and 500+ rounds of ammo.
2. The Savage 93r17 17hmr - Clip feed 10+1 bolt action with a Canon 4-12x40 with 300 rounds of ammo. ( I also have a Q El Camino suppressor for this one)
3. My dearly loved Winchester 94 30-30 - Tube feed 7+1 lever action with open sights (very accurate at 100yds) and 40 rounds of ammo.

This would be carried either slung or in a scabbard on my ACU Molle II pack so weight is a concern but none of them are great options that way. Common sense tells me the Marlin is the practical choice just because of sheer ammo volume. But the 17hmr is awesome for small game, doesn't drift nearly as bad in wind and 300 rounds isn't bad. The Winchester was inherited from my dad and has huge sentimental value but is about as good a brush hunting gun as you can get. If the situation came up I could possibly have my wife carry a second option on her pack so let me know what you think options 1 and 2 should be.

Your choices and thoughts are much appreciated!

Why are you bugging out and where are you going...
That may have a bearing on just what to choose.

From your choices I'd go with the Marlin 'cause it sounds like you shoot it well or the Winchester 94 as it can do duty as a hunting or a defensive arm...
Not that you can't defend yourself with a .22 rifle...but .30 caliber holes versus .22 caliber holes....
I'd lean towards the Winchester if it was me.
Andy

I can't bugout anymore but, if I could, the .22lr is a great survival weapon. To me, bugging out means, staying under the radar and a .22 can put a lot of small game in the skillet if you know what I mean.:s0155:

Why are you bugging out and where are you going...
That may have a bearing on just what to choose.

From your choices I'd go with the Marlin 'cause it sounds like you shoot it well or the Winchester 94 as it can do duty as a hunting or a defensive arm...
Not that you can't defend yourself with a .22 rifle...but .30 caliber holes versus .22 caliber holes....
I'd lean towards the Winchester if it was me.
Andy
If I had more ammo I probably wouldn't have posted this thread. Love my Winchester!

I can't bugout anymore but, if I could, the .22lr is a great survival weapon. To me, bugging out means, staying under the radar and a .22 can put a lot of small game in the skillet if you know what I mean.:s0155:
Thank you for your service HA556! I have a son serving on the USS Nebraska. Go Big Red! I completely stripped and refinished the Marlin last year after it sat unfired for nearly 10 years. Put it together, mounted the Banner and it was right back to being the shooter I remembered. Its about the same as shooting a 10/22 except the tube feed is kind of a pain but that really only becomes a factor at the range.

22 is my vote. It will defend and put food on the fire without the report of the 30/30. Back in the day when we custom processed beef, buffalo , pigs, sheep, the 22 was all we ever used on the kill floor. Processed a couple thousand animals with that rusty old rifle.

Keep you truck/car full of gas and that way you can take em all, you can drive farther in 20min ( with no police make that 10 min) than you can walk all day carying a heavy pack

The Marlin and the Winchester.
Marlin for small game, cuz it's a lot quieter when bagging said game. 500 rds should feed you and the missus for a while.
The .30-30 for defense. Hopefully, you won't need more than 40 rds to fight off the zombies...

Last Edited:
Keep you truck/car full of gas and that way you can take em all, you can drive farther in 20min ( with no police make that 10 min) than you can walk all day carying a heavy pack
Keep full tanks on the car and the SUV. I was imagining driving the SUV into the Cascades and hiding it then packing into a more remote area to camp, hunt etc.

I also love the handling and feel of the trusty model 94 30-30 and it would work very good for self defense. But I would probably go with The 22lr and take off the scope to lighten it up a bit. If I was bugging I would take it all in the vehicle until I couldn't then I would stash my vehicle and come back for move stuff latter if necessary

I'd say the Marlin, had many and love the rifle.
However now my 22 of choice is a Henry Lever Action
Subsonic rounds are sweet for small game and keeping critters away.
But with your choices, Marlin 60 carry more ammo, reliable and accurate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top