JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't keep a SHTF bag ready to go at all times, too many variables to consider for to be able to effectively pack what will be needed or everything. Mission dictates the gear. That being said, the following items will always be helpful and I generally carry them all the time in a pack or a pack in the car:

Water
Basic energy bars / good calories
Lighter
TP and wet wipes
Change of clothes for season at the moment
Spare magazines for carry gun
Medical kit focusing on life saving items related to blood loss.
Duct tape
Some garbage bags (ponchos, etc)
Knife
Spare pair of good walking shoes
Battery pack for phone
Hygiene bag

With those contents i can adapt to most situations I encounter and I use those contents often and have helped me in many situations that would have otherwise been less convenient.

I don't keep a SHTF bag ready to go at all times, too many variables to consider for to be able to effectively pack what will be needed or everything. Mission dictates the gear. That being said, the following items will always be helpful and I generally carry them all the time in a pack or a pack in the car:

Water
Basic energy bars / good calories
Lighter
TP and wet wipes
Change of clothes for season at the moment
Spare magazines for carry gun
Medical kit focusing on life saving items related to blood loss.
Duct tape
Some garbage bags (ponchos, etc)
Knife
Spare pair of good walking shoes
Battery pack for phone
Hygiene bag

With those contents i can adapt to most situations I encounter and I use those contents often and have helped me in many situations that would have otherwise been less convenient.
Pretty much that.

I take with me a get home bag. Copies of any important documents are kept on the phone and in the cloud. Anything meant for more than 48-72 hours is keep at home. Does anybody have anything relatively different to add to these types of kits?

Contents:

First aid trauma kit. Enough to get to a hospital or home. Better kit at home.
Lighter
Bivvy sack (tarp & 550 cord kept in trunk)
Warming layer: top/bottom/beanie/neck gaiter/gloves/socks
Rain gear top/bottom
Water, collapsible water pouch, and purifier
Ultralight backpacker stove kit
Spare mags + ammo
Multi-tool
Trail mix or jerky
Portable battery phone recharge kit. (Enough for 2-3 phone recharges)

Ok, since this is pretty basic, and everyone seems to be on the same page (kind of), how about something (an item or two) you think most people forget or overlook.

My bag is an edc/get home bag.

One of the best sites I've been referred too is lapolicegear.com

Got a lagear bag that was very similar to the $160 maxpidition bag for $38 and it's held up great for 8 months now.

They also sell maxpidition gear and other name brands cheaper then most places.

Stainless steel cooking pot, cordage such as paracord, combustion (lighter, matches, flint/steel), phone charging cable and solar battery bank, canteen, Cold Steel Magnum Kukri machete, Becker BK2, tarp, poncho, trauma kit, leather gloves (protect hands from injury and infection that may result), head lamp for hands free lighting, emergency sleeping bag, compass, change of clothes, water filter for stealth water purification/also carry water purification tables (two is one....).

Lately I've been debating whether to pack my gas pocket stove and fuel canister. It only comes in handy for stealth cooking or when the wood is too wet to get a fire going. But frankly shelter and water are way more important...

All the above plus or minus some stuff. To be honest I'd have to look. It changes from winter to summer.

Take the time to sit down and evaluate your situation. Are you trying to get home or bugging out? Two different things IMHO.

Shelter (Ecotat)
Water (hydration bladder)
Food (MH FD meals and munchy/crunchies)
FAK
Security (Five Seven and ammo)
Flashlight with moonlight mode
Fire starting kit.

I try to keep it to the essentials and keep it as light as possible.

I just got a new GHB from Sportsman's Guide - it has a pocket for a rifle. If things get dicey then I would put the PS90 in the pocket.

Respectfully ...

I now have a little time. 31 Dec, 2017; about 2:55 pm. Party tonight. Party tonight. Party Tonight. We have about 3 or 4 different layers and comprehensiveness of BOBs. Bug Out Bags.

Several varieties. Kid size. 10 pounds. Older Kid. 15 pounds. Female. 25 pounds. Adult size male. 40 pounds.

Also Stay at home SHTF bags. Shieeet hits the fan bags. Slightly different. Our big multiple 200 pound SUV bags that stay inside the SUVs are comprehensive except for guns and meds.

Also current identify theft stuff. Consider the long term aftermath. There is a long term view.

Start at your head and work your way down your body. Consider what you NEED vs what you want. Go slow. Think it through. Separate what is nice vs what is vital. Consider realities of what if?

Do not go too heavy on high tech. Try to find a low doable common denominator. Keep it simple. Hair dryers and eye lash makeup do not make it. Strip away everything you do not need.

You by yourself can come up with the top 100 things you think you need. Harder to then strip away a lifetime of easy high tech living. Then strip it again and think like Daniel Boone. Works.

A helpful hint. ... Maslow's hierarchy of needs. But remember Daniel Boone was used to pain and adversity. Normal for him.

Respectfully ...

Linux Mint 17 Speeelll Chzk sucks totally. I wonoder wys? Dunnoss. Suecks fur sureles. :)

I don't worry about the shtf part of the sport of prep but when I travel I like the 10 Scout essentials as a basis of what to carry. Bug out? where, why, when? I will not walk when i have a home and when I lived in a wild land fire threat area I have fire proof safes So I will [and I have been there ] leave with whatever I will need for a few days of motel living then go to where I can get a motel room and use cash or a charge card for the duration of the evacuation.

Do not forget the $500 bucks in small cash and a debit and credit card. Also copies of your vital papers. Two photo ids. Passport or other. Copy of birth certificate?

Also a list of friends, family, associates, enemies, lovers and contact info. Also a list of needful contacts. Insurances agents, Guv agencies, professional what ever.

Rx meds. Copy of meds. Various insurance cards. If you need it a good concealed hand gun and basic load out. We need it here in SW OR USA. Tomb stone. Dodge. Yikes!

Keep your bug out vehicle in good shape. HB; this might also include good tire chains. How about any chains that fit? Duhh. A full gas tank is better than a half gas tank.

Happy New Year! :)

PS: I have a new house keeper. Not working out. Very non intelligent? We will see.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads