JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought the Ruger American in 6.5 creedmore. $400 rifle or close
Now there is a YouTube hack who bought a $350 scope for his,hit steel at a mile:eek:
I'm wondering if the $200+ Prostaf Nikon would be worth the trouble.
I do like good glass with my old eyes but I getting cheaper every year
Next up is the vortex crossfire line.
I'm thinking on a 4-16x50 ( I like lots of light) with a 30mm tube if it's in the budget ($300 max) 1" tube would do though
Does the 6.5 hit hard enough to warrant a better scope?
Thank you
Mike

Are you just hunting with it or plinking long range? The 6.5 Creedmoor was made to take as much advantage of ballistic coefficient and aerodynamics without the extra powder and noise. Its efficient, not overly powerful. With that said, its easily a 400 yard deer cartridge, if not more in the right hands.

Id be more worried about rifle balance than anything. The RAR is relatively light and handy. I'm not sure I'd put a yard of scope on it if I were hunting with it.

I bought the Ruger American in 6.5 creedmore. $400 rifle or close
Now there is a YouTube hack who bought a $350 scope for his,hit steel at a mile:eek:
I'm wondering if the $200+ Prostaf Nikon would be worth the trouble.
I do like good glass with my old eyes but I getting cheaper every year
Next up is the vortex crossfire line.
I'm thinking on a 4-16x50 ( I like lots of light) with a 30mm tube if it's in the budget ($300 max) 1" tube would do though
Does the 6.5 hit hard enough to warrant a better scope?
Thank you
Mike

That's an excellent cartridge and I hear you about inexpensive rifle scopes. I'll suggest one I've had excellent results from. The Nikon buckmasters (the older one before the buckmaster II) 4.5-14x40. I've had a few of them over the years and they all tracked very well. No failures and I used them a bunch. You can still find the older ones in new condition on ebay. I wouldn't suggest Vortex for anything, even though they get some good reviews. Here's a good video of an elk hunt with the 6.5 creed:

Not my first choice for longrange elk hunting, but Wayne gets it done here in this video...

The Crossfire series are good glass for the cash. Honestly, Bushnell makes some decent glass for less as well. For the money, you can't go wrong either way!

That's an excellent cartridge and I hear you about inexpensive rifle scopes. I'll suggest one I've had excellent results from. The Nikon buckmasters (the older one before the buckmaster II) 4.5-14x40. I've had a few of them over the years and they all tracked very well. No failures and I used them a bunch. You can still find the older ones in new condition on ebay. I wouldn't suggest Vortex for anything, even though they get some good reviews. Here's a good video of an elk hunt with the 6.5 creed:

Not my first choice for longrange elk hunting, but Wayne gets it done here in this video...
DAMN SON
I wouldn't take the shot but I'm a bow hunter.
BUT it gives me hope on other animals (think wild dogs!)

Forgot about this thread. I took my Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 off my 7mm and mounted it on my American.
Then later this summer I'll decide which rifle I want to replace the scope on. A cheaper one on this or a better one for the 7mm

Cabelas has great sales for the Vortex Viper series from time to time. The crossfire 2 series isn't bad for the price as well. I have both and the Viper has been awesome from my experience.

The local vortex dealer has sales quite a bit so I'll be watching there. Cabellas is 2+ hours away. I don't online order from them so far.
After tax time I can look for another scope

Q: with the starting magnification at between 4X and 7X - what are you going to do when you stumble across deer at 20 yards in dense forest west of the Cascades?
Well since I wouldn't hunt rifle season in western wa, I would use my bow.
And since I am not a resident of Wa anymore,I won't be hunting there. Or using a rifle here for that matter cause I bow hunt.
So the scope is to shoot dogs out at longer ranges.
And with your question in mind,I may opt to get a scope for closer in on the 6.5 and put the 6.5-20 back on the 7mm for long range shooting.
If I don't come across a bull with my bow I can either kill a cow with my bow or rifle with the tag I get over here.
I'm just not much for hunting with 10k people in the same square mile as I am:eek:

Well I went out Friday and bought a vortex crossfire 4-16x50 scope with a 30mm tube. Just like I like em!
Under $300
Switched out the scopes yesterday and took the American out to sight it in today. I had sighted it thru the bore after mounting it,then again today on the target to make sure I was close
Shot,brought the crosshairs to the POI and there she goes.
The scope tracked very nicely. Excited to take it out farther.
It was too cold and too much snow to move the target out farther but it did hit some rocks out around 200yds. Very happy with the set up now.
And I got to put my other scope back where it belongs

Well I went out Friday and bought a vortex crossfire 4-16x50 scope with a 30Smm tube. Just like I like em!
Under $300
Switched out the scopes yesterday and took the American out to sight it in today. I had sighted it thru the bore after mounting it,then again today on the target to make sure I was close
Shot,brought the crosshairs to the POI and there she goes.
The scope tracked very nicely. Excited to take it out farther.
It was too cold and too much snow to move the target out farther but it did hit some rocks out around 200yds. Very happy with the set up now.
And I got to put my other scope back where it belongs

Pics for us non-reader types:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews