JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a son that is getting into trap shooting in 4h and some the other games like 5 stand and doubles. He is currently using a 20 gauge pump. Ideally the coaches would like to see the kids using an over and under and I can definently see were that would be an advantage. So my question would be to get him started would buying something like the new Stevens 555 or Mossberg silver work for now and later work up into something else. One place told me I would be replacing either of these in 6 months because they wouldn't take the usage. I am thinking for now he might be shooting an average of 50 to 100 rounds per week. What is your opinion?

I have a Stoeger side by side and run a lot of shells thru it but not that many per week...

Anyway, it's done great for me and I got it for about $300 used (it's stainless, the blued ones can be had for under $250).

May be worth starting with a less expensive brand/model and let him wear it out - then he will be able to tell you the model he wants.

Edit: I also am a fan of 2 triggers but I know many preffer a single trigger.

I have two "budget" over/unders, a CZ Canvasback and a CZ Mallard, been shooting about 400 rds/mo out of both for past 3 months.

Both are 12 gauge, the reason for two is got the girlfriend into it and had to cut the stock on the Mallard to fit her smaller frame better.

Bought them both used and have not had a problem with either gun, simple and reliable. Added Limbsaver slip on pads to both.

Looked at a few used "b-brand" over/unders but the prices were well outta budget even used.

I have a Miroku 20 gauge that has 2 rounds (1 each barrel) in the original case with the cleaning kit, mint, but it aint a "budget" gun. Mine was actually purchased in Japan in 1969 (I have the original receipt) so it's not a Charles Daily Miroku, it's the gun that the CD brand bought and rebranded. Make me an offer I cant refuse.....

DSCF2031_zps808b2db0.jpg DSCF2030_zps54c8055a.jpg DSCF2029_zps6a315aa5.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. Classic I will keep that in mind. Thank you
I have a Miroku 20 gauge that has 2 rounds (1 each barrel) in the original case with the cleaning kit, mint, but it aint a "budget" gun. Mine was actually purchased in Japan in 1969 (I have the original receipt) so it's not a Charles Daily Miroku, it's the gun that the CD brand bought and rebranded. Make me an offer I cant refuse.....

I bought a newer Stevens .410 for quail a few years back. It's now my favorite double for all upland ( I shoot it better than my Ruger or my Beretta). For an inexpensive starter, just find something that fits him and that he swings well. Upgrades can come with experience. Check out the youth skills clinic at SCTS, a lot of the coaches bring doubles that they allow the kids to try.

View attachment 214335 View attachment 214336 View attachment 214337

That's an awesome package. It looks like 28" bbls? What chokes? You said a round in each bbl, are they snap caps?
I have a similar 20 ga CD Superior with 26" bbls, mod and ic, same engraving, gold trigger, etc. I wouldn't sell mine. You don't find that level of workmanship, fit and looks in one package very often. When you close the action the metal seams just disappear, I never get tired of it.
Should you ever need parts a shop in WA makes replacement firing pins, springs, etc.

Last Edited:

View attachment 214335 View attachment 214336 View attachment 214337
That would be a great gun for him if it fits him! That's VERY important in a Shotgun. KKG

ANY modern Shotgun is going to hold up to shooting 100 rounds a week, including the lower prices ones. Like I said, just make sure it fits him OR have it fitted to him by a good Gunsmith.

Wish him the VERY BEST of Luck in Both finding a good O/U Shotgun and in his shooting them Clays!

Is he shooting good with the 20 ga pump? If so I wouldn't change a thing except maybe step up to a 12. I know there are "proper" trap and skeet guns but unless you are prepared to get it fitted (how much growing does he have left) I would stick with the same gun. Also I shoot trap with several folks who use varying pump guns (some trap specific and some hunting specific) and they do just fine, I however shoot my Dad's old BT that was not fit to me and I get by. This is my humble opinion and I wish you and your son the best of luck on his/yours shooting journeys.

Thanks for the help guys. Classic I will keep that in mind. Thank you
Chickenfarmer,

This was your last post in this thread.
Whatever happened with this?
Did you end up buying Classic's Miroku or did you get your son something else?
Did he enjoy that choice?
Are you guys still shooting trap?
Catch us up, man. Put a period on the end of this sentence!

Dean

Im sorry, but i have to ask how well does your son like shooting the pump? Is it a good pump shotgun like an 870 wingmaster? The reason i ask is because i grew up using a pump. If your boy is good with his pump and likes that style of shotgun, why mess with it? At most, you could think about finding him a trap grade 870 wingmaster. I saw and handled a very nice one earlier today, when i was in Reno. It was the 870 TB. Ive shot trap competitively with guys that could run a pump gun. I actually have and prefer my left handed wingmaster. Nothing feels better in my hands. Id suggest, if you and your boy are big into bird hunting and he uses a pump to shoot live birds, he may want to just keep using what hes familiar with. Guys at my trap club would always suggest i buy a "real" trap gun, so i did and my scores went down and i lost money. I tried real trap guns for a while, but it felt so unnatural to float the bird with the unusual high patterns the trap guns printed. I went from totally smoking the targets (with the 870) to barely hitting/clipping them. After giving the trap guns a fair shake, i went back to my left handed wingmaster and said using a real trap gun would likely never happen again. The proof is in how well you shoot any particular gun. If it works, keep using it. One of my most memorable moments was when i won the state cold gun competition back in the early 2000's and that was with a new 870 wingmaster with a light contour barrel. It wasn't even a trap grade 870. The good thing about your son's situation right now, is he doesnt have thousands of hours or days behind that pump gun, so you may be able to transition him over to a good o/u. Whatever the case may be, that is very cool to see young people get into the sport. I started my son out on a pump gun and reduced loads. Had to stand behind him and coach him for a solid 3 months, but by the time we were done he was a heck of a good shot. One fathers day shoot, i remember him and i walking away from an event with $190.00 in each of our pockets and some other prizes. The memories were more important than any amount of money we ever won though. Good on you op!! And good luck to you and your boy.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads