Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Budget Over & Unders

Discussion in 'Shotgun Discussion' started by chickenfarmer, Mar 2, 2015.

1. chickenfarmer

chickenfarmer dayton, or Member

I have a son that is getting into trap shooting in 4h and some the other games like 5 stand and doubles. He is currently using a 20 gauge pump. Ideally the coaches would like to see the kids using an over and under and I can definently see were that would be an advantage. So my question would be to get him started would buying something like the new Stevens 555 or Mossberg silver work for now and later work up into something else. One place told me I would be replacing either of these in 6 months because they wouldn't take the usage. I am thinking for now he might be shooting an average of 50 to 100 rounds per week. What is your opinion?

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I have a Stoeger side by side and run a lot of shells thru it but not that many per week...

Anyway, it's done great for me and I got it for about $300 used (it's stainless, the blued ones can be had for under $250).

May be worth starting with a less expensive brand/model and let him wear it out - then he will be able to tell you the model he wants.

Edit: I also am a fan of 2 triggers but I know many preffer a single trigger.

3. Matt Fields

Matt Fields Renton New Member

I have two "budget" over/unders, a CZ Canvasback and a CZ Mallard, been shooting about 400 rds/mo out of both for past 3 months.

Both are 12 gauge, the reason for two is got the girlfriend into it and had to cut the stock on the Mallard to fit her smaller frame better.

Bought them both used and have not had a problem with either gun, simple and reliable. Added Limbsaver slip on pads to both.

Looked at a few used "b-brand" over/unders but the prices were well outta budget even used.

4. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

CZ or Ruger

5. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

I have a Miroku 20 gauge that has 2 rounds (1 each barrel) in the original case with the cleaning kit, mint, but it aint a "budget" gun. Mine was actually purchased in Japan in 1969 (I have the original receipt) so it's not a Charles Daily Miroku, it's the gun that the CD brand bought and rebranded. Make me an offer I cant refuse.....
    DSCF2031_zps808b2db0.jpg
    DSCF2030_zps54c8055a.jpg
    DSCF2029_zps6a315aa5.jpg

6. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have friends with Stoegers and they have held up very well. I own a CZ Canvasback and couldn't be happier.

7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I'll second the used Charles Daly guns also. Often you can get them for a song and they'll just shoot and shoot. Beautiful guns.

8. chickenfarmer

chickenfarmer dayton, or Member

Thanks for the help guys. Classic I will keep that in mind. Thank you