JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided I want a good old fashioned bolt gun that doesn't require a hydraulic jack to cycle. Sorry, Sergei... The Mosin isn't cutting it anymore. I suppose I'm doing the "I WANT IT ALL" thing, but here are my goals...
.308 CAL
Carbine length, 20" preferred
Accurate - would like at least function accuracy to 500y (say... <2moa, prefer as close to 1 as possible)
Lightweight - backpackable, mountain gun type
Prefer synthetic stock - might end up in the trunk a lot.
Under $500 if possible, absolutely not over $600, including optics.

I've done some looking around, and have a few ideas in mind:

1) Weatherby Vanguard Carbine. I've heard the stock might need replacement, and it would need optics. Primary Arms scopes seem to die on full rifle calibers, so I'd need something a bit more sturdy... Still haven't really figured out my optics options for this one.

2) Mossberg 100ATR Bantam short action. This would leave me a bit of budget to do some tuning...

3) If I can find one, a used gunsite scout. They seem to be hard to come by, though.

Finally, though, I stumbled on the Howa Ranchland Compact, which is built on the Howa 1500 action. It comes as a package, with a scope, for just over $500...
It looks like a good fit for me, and Howa seems to have a good rep. It's also available without the scope.

So then, to the questions...

Does anyone here have experience with the Howa rifles in general, or the Ranchland specifically? Thoughts about the other choices I've come up with?

Does anyone have optics suggestions? I really don't even know where to start there...

Are there rifles other than these I should look in to?

And finally... If I buy a gun off the internet, who in the Portland area should I run the transfer through? :)

Thanks. :)

Should be able to find a Ruger M77 MKII stainless synthetic in that price range.
Not known for extreme accuracy but definitely less than 2 moa.
Best thing is they are nearly indestructible.

How about Remington 700p LTR, Remington Law Enforcement - Rifles - Model 700P Light Tactical Rifle

20" barrel, good quality, accurate, easy to get accessories for........

I like mine,
DSC06247.jpg

EDIT: Sorry I didnt see your budget.

Go to BI Mart and buy a Savage model 11 in .308 and have the barrel cut and crowned to what ever you want. On sale they run about $350.00 with a cheap scope. My son bought a 111 30-06 and is shooting 3 shot groups just larger then a Nickel at 100yards. The short action model 11 will be every bit as good.

Take your other $150.00 and buy a Mueller APT 4.5-14X X 44mm scope. and your set.

Savage Arms Firearms > 11 FYXP3

Savage Arms Firearms > 11 FCXP3 is even cheaper but I would stick with the Accutrigger.

Hrm. I'd written Savage since they didn't have any 20" guns... Never really thought about having one cut down. I'll definitely look in to that - I've heard very good things about the accutrigger guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top