Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

budget hunting rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by OR_VARMINT_HUNTER, Feb 19, 2011.

1. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

OR_VARMINT_HUNTER Banks,OREGON Member

im looking for a 7mm or 300 win mag or an 30-06 or 308 haven't decided yet but was looking at rem 770s have heard bad things about them so was looking at the savage 111 FCXP3 is that any better? or any other suggestions looking to spend $600 max want it mainly for elk or maybe bear any help would be nice
    thanks

2. xxerexx

xxerexx Hillsboro, Oregon Member

For 30-06 or .308 I recommend checking out the Marlin XS/XL7s. I picked up a XS7 in .308 for $330 and have been very happy with it.

3. OR_VARMINT_HUNTER

OR_VARMINT_HUNTER Banks,OREGON Member

where did u happen to pick it up at?

4. xxerexx

xxerexx Hillsboro, Oregon Member

Al's gun shop in Verboort.

5. catwithboost

catwithboost Olympia, Washington, United States Member

savage 111 7mm mag I bought one 4years ago. Great rifle I have taken 3 deer and 1 bear. Mine was right before accu-trigger so I put a rifle basix trigger in it.

6. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Varmint Hunter,

I would discourage you from getting a 770 (sounds like you've already decided that). Some friends of mine went out to sight in our rifles last year and my buddy with a 770 30.06 had nothing but problems.

I've looked into the Savage 111 and was quite impressed. I would have ordered and bought one from Dan-Dee but a friend of mine had a Rem 700 that he sold me. Good luck and I hope the one you choose serves you well.

7. chainsaw

chainsaw East side of Or. Active Member

Gunbroker has some descent looking mausers for pretty cheap.8mm Mauser is a great hunting rd.

8. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Heck, I've got a great shooting, decent looking '09 Mauser in '06 with a Douglas barrel on it that shoots 1" at 100 no problem. I'd sell it for less money than a 770 Rem.
    I usually like Rem products, but I have NO IDEA what they were thinking when the decided to build the 770!

9. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

I've got a 30-06 Ruger w/1-4 Leupold I could sell you for less than your max. AND I'd let you demo it!

10. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That was the whole reason I clicked on this was to recommend this gun. All of the articles I have read have been extremely complimentary, and the results of their test firings would be impressive for guns at least twice the price.

11. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Also, the remainder could be used for some quality glass which can make a huge difference.

12. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

I would look to save money in a quality (slightly) used gun, rather than buying an "econo-model" new gun. Especially in the calibers you are considering, a very high quality (slightly) used gun can be found easily, and well within your budget. Evidence: Turq's offer. If, in the future you find a need to sell the gun, a quality model well cared-for will bring you nearly all you paid if you shopped critically to start with. Not so with a new "econo-model".
    First step is define exactly what you are looking for, and do not waver (much). Decide on the caliber, research the various models available in the caliber, then begin an earnest search for the best one you can find.

Car dealers make their fortune on people who have not defined exactly what they want before they go looking. If you do not define your goal, you are something that's born every minute.

13. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Howa make a great inexpensive rifle and you can find them in packages with the scope

But I'm with spitpatch.You can find a nice used rifle these day for not much money.
    There was a Weatherby Vanguard (made by Howa,I believe) in the Little Nickel for $300
    Some guys need to sell that rifle they never hunt with.
    I'm all for saving a little more money up and buying better guns.I've bought cheap guns before,cause they were priced right,just to sell them a month later because they just seemed too cheap.

14. never2many

never2many halsey Member

you can get a remington 700 in ss with scope for like 400 to 450 at bimart

15. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

i have a ruger 06 on here bushnell scope, full box remington 180 core lokt, some hand loads, some new brass and some 165 gr. win silvertips, good rifle $375.00