JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
im looking for a 7mm or 300 win mag or an 30-06 or 308 haven't decided yet but was looking at rem 770s have heard bad things about them so was looking at the savage 111 FCXP3 is that any better? or any other suggestions looking to spend $600 max want it mainly for elk or maybe bear any help would be nice
thanks

Varmint Hunter,

I would discourage you from getting a 770 (sounds like you've already decided that). Some friends of mine went out to sight in our rifles last year and my buddy with a 770 30.06 had nothing but problems.

I've looked into the Savage 111 and was quite impressed. I would have ordered and bought one from Dan-Dee but a friend of mine had a Rem 700 that he sold me. Good luck and I hope the one you choose serves you well.

Heck, I've got a great shooting, decent looking '09 Mauser in '06 with a Douglas barrel on it that shoots 1" at 100 no problem. I'd sell it for less money than a 770 Rem.
I usually like Rem products, but I have NO IDEA what they were thinking when the decided to build the 770!

For 30-06 or .308 I recommend checking out the Marlin XS/XL7s. I picked up a XS7 in .308 for $330 and have been very happy with it.

That was the whole reason I clicked on this was to recommend this gun. All of the articles I have read have been extremely complimentary, and the results of their test firings would be impressive for guns at least twice the price.

I would look to save money in a quality (slightly) used gun, rather than buying an "econo-model" new gun. Especially in the calibers you are considering, a very high quality (slightly) used gun can be found easily, and well within your budget. Evidence: Turq's offer. If, in the future you find a need to sell the gun, a quality model well cared-for will bring you nearly all you paid if you shopped critically to start with. Not so with a new "econo-model".
First step is define exactly what you are looking for, and do not waver (much). Decide on the caliber, research the various models available in the caliber, then begin an earnest search for the best one you can find.

Car dealers make their fortune on people who have not defined exactly what they want before they go looking. If you do not define your goal, you are something that's born every minute.

Howa make a great inexpensive rifle and you can find them in packages with the scope

But I'm with spitpatch.You can find a nice used rifle these day for not much money.
There was a Weatherby Vanguard (made by Howa,I believe) in the Little Nickel for $300
Some guys need to sell that rifle they never hunt with.
I'm all for saving a little more money up and buying better guns.I've bought cheap guns before,cause they were priced right,just to sell them a month later because they just seemed too cheap.

i have a ruger 06 on here bushnell scope, full box remington 180 core lokt, some hand loads, some new brass and some 165 gr. win silvertips, good rifle $375.00

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top