JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yahoo. Finally got all the parts (almost) in for the "Budget AR build thread" AKA my sons first AR.
I didn't go for all super cheap parts, got a few little extras for the kid :). Still missing the winter trigger guard. The magpul knock offs he will eventually replace, and he still needs a BCG, one of mine on loan to him at this point. Crappy cell phone pics. Price will be about 600 at the end of the day. Another 100 or so on a BCG and then he just needs to buy mags and ammo.
We decided to go with the low profile gas block, and a rifle sized 13" free float quad rail, which added to the cost, as well as the ergo grip, and the death head goodie parts.
The upper receiver is a BCM I got lightly used from a buddy, and the lower is an SAA I got here.
Pretty much everything else I got from Rob Heller. Super nice guy, great prices, and good quality parts.

That is a sweet looking rifle! I saw Magpuls winter trigger guards on sale for 8 bucks somewhere but don't recall where :(
My stock and buffer assembly showed up Saturday so my lower in now complete. A busted car now requires funding for repair so I gotta push back the upper purchase a few weeks but not to worry. I was planning on buying upper reciever barrel and bolt seperely but that's going to be less cost effective than to just get a complete upper.
Idealy, I would like a YHM flip front sight/gas block with magpul buis rear sight or lopro gas block with fron and rear buis sights like the rifle you have there Garg. By the way,what kind of supresser do you have there? It looks pretty sweet!

I am building another upper as a backup next. Basically the same as my sons build, but with an areo upper receiver. RF the flash hider is an older YHM phantom type i believe. I want to use a three prong on the next one.

Hey guys, I am going to throw my hat in there. I have a Mega Machine stripped lower receiver on the way; hopefully it will be here in the next couple weeks. I already have two Magpul MOE AR15's and I am thinking about doing something different. Here are the few options am thinking of maybe a long range AR with 20 inch or longer bull barrel free floated(as accurate as I can build on a budget) 300 blackout build(less likely), maybe for plinking fun in a 5.45x39 configuration(probably the build I would try to stick with the lowest budget possible). I figure if I go with the latter option as many rounds as a go through in a day I could pay for the whole build with ammo savings within a year and a half maybe two. Also if I go the 5.45 route I will probably strip down one of my complete lowers from my other two AR's, probably the DTI because it is a stock complete lower. I have been following this thread from the beginning and there are some really good resources I haven't seen before. I want to say thanks for the resources and motivating me to work on a new build; I was actually putting the build of my Mega lower on hold for a while because I realized I needed to focus more on acquiring a few more hand guns to supplement my inventory of firearms. I was focusing too much on long guns for while there. So, thanks again and I will update everyone when I get my lower in and decide on which option I am going to build.

I actually finished something. A2 18" mini sass barrel from dpms, apex hand guard.

fama203.jpg
fama202.jpg
fama201.jpg
fama204.jpg

Hey guys, I am going to throw my hat in there. I have a Mega Machine stripped lower receiver on the way; hopefully it will be here in the next couple weeks. I already have two Magpul MOE AR15's and I am thinking about doing something different. Here are the few options am thinking of maybe a long range AR with 20 inch or longer bull barrel free floated(as accurate as I can build on a budget) 300 blackout build(less likely), maybe for plinking fun in a 5.45x39 configuration(probably the build I would try to stick with the lowest budget possible). I figure if I go with the latter option as many rounds as a go through in a day I could pay for the whole build with ammo savings within a year and a half maybe two. Also if I go the 5.45 route I will probably strip down one of my complete lowers from my other two AR's, probably the DTI because it is a stock complete lower. I have been following this thread from the beginning and there are some really good resources I haven't seen before. I want to say thanks for the resources and motivating me to work on a new build; I was actually putting the build of my Mega lower on hold for a while because I realized I needed to focus more on acquiring a few more hand guns to supplement my inventory of firearms. I was focusing too much on long guns for while there. So, thanks again and I will update everyone when I get my lower in and decide on which option I am going to build.

All right guys, I traded one of my MOE carbines for a Long range AR15. So I have changed directions and I would like to build a AR pistol to go with what I already have. I have seen a few videos about how to operate a AR pistol and it just looks like fun and a natural progression for me. My question is with my very limited time where do I go for the most bang for my time to learn what I need to know to be legal and build a quality budget AR Pistol. any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you made a choice on barrel length? I have a 10.5 that runs well.

When I was looking for pistol RE's I liked the PWS.
PWS01.jpg

As usual, right after I ordered the PWS I found this Ace local for cheap. The Ace can double, either pistol or rifle. After SBR stamp just add the butt pad.
re01.jpg

Any info on a budget complete upper build?
Looking to spend next to nothing for my particular upper right now.
Not just because funds are low, I just want to see if a run of the mil- bottom barrel upper can get the job done. One I wouldn't mind REALLY bubblegumming up.

I have always been hesitant to try to build my own AR-15. After reading this thread, I kinda thought I might just try and make my first AR build a cheap as I can go build just to learn and then make it my back of the truck beater gun. This is my first time, so I am guessing I will do something stupid. That usually happens the first time I do something new. I was shooting for dirt cheap as possible, but still works. Would appreciate any input on how to get it lower in price, avoid any really stupid moves on my part, avoid any future issues I might not realize I should avoid, and suggestions on a cooler build for the same or close price. My apologies in advance if I propose something really stupid. I am not very experienced with AR's and have never built a gun from parts.

I am also considering going to Curt's mentioned above (never been there) and just getting a kit for $600.

I came up with a price of $565 ($535 without red dot) with the following parts:

Complete Lower - New Frontier Armory LW-15 GENII Complete AR15 Polymer Lower Receiver-Black (Joe Bob Outfitters for 109.95 + free shipping)
Complete Upper - DSA ZM4 A3 Upper Receiver With 16" Barrel ** PARKED ** M4 - ZM4CBUM4PARK (DSA Inc for $240 + 17.5 shipping)
CBG - ZM4/AR15 Semi Auto, Complete Bolt Group Assembly - ZM485018509-A (DSA Inc for $110 shipping cost included with the complete upper above)
Charging Handle - ZM4/AR15 alloy charging handle complete with standard latch - ZM48517-A (DSA Inc for $14 shipping cost included with the complete upper above)
Rear Site - NcStar AR15 Detachable Rear Sight (MARDRS) ($23.79 from Amazon + free shipping)
Sites - UAG Tactical 4 Reticle Red Dot Open Reflex Sight with Weaver-Picatinny Rail Mount ($29.95 from Amazon + free shipping)
FFL Transfer - $10 from Cut Above Pawn
Background Check - $10

Links Below:
New Frontier Armory LW-15 Complete AR15 Polymer Lower Reciever -Black
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
Amazon.com: UAG Tactical 4 Reticle Red Dot Open Reflex Sight with Weaver-Picatinny Rail Mount: Sports & Outdoors

That's not really "building" it. Buying all the parts pre-built is just the final assembly, that you will do every time you clean it. Not sure if you could do it much cheaper than what you have outlined here, but I would highly recommend getting a Curt's, as it is local, free service on the unit, and it has a metal lower receiver. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you buy a red dot from a local dealer. That way you can look at it, and make sure it is what you really want. Getting one off amazon may be hit or miss on a cheap-ish part like that. It may be great. It may be less than ideal. If you look at them, handle them, and compare them you have a better shot at making a good decision. Just my opinion.

Good luck. :s0155:

For your first AR I would say go buy one at Curt's. After shooting and cleaning you well have a much better idea on how the rifle operates and you well have a better idea on what kind of AR you want to have (I want them all)

First time builders can have problems with the FCG springs and getting them installed correctly. Some have problems with the RE and buffer pin. The front pivot pin installation can be challenging for some.

AR's a tinker toys for big kids.

So, hows everyone doing in this thread. Its been awhile since I posted so I want to update. Purchaser an Anderson upper reciever without barrel a few weeks ago and bought a really sweet SOCOM barrel from Copes for 99.00.
Now I just need a BCG,FSB,barrel nut and handguard caps,gas tube,MOE rear sight and flash supressee.

Anyone else still interested in this project?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top