JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe another thread should be started.

It could be called "I love Curt's Gun Shop in Portland OR".

I believe THIS thread started differently, although I could be wrong.

Now if you did buy something from somewhere and built part or all of an AR and shared with pictures, that would be on topic.

My $0.02 worth (artificially inflated like gas prices).

Ok, while it does seem like a love fest for Curts you gotta keep in mind that the goal is to build the least expensive AR as possible and if Curt has the best costs then its perfectly fine with me for people to crow about it as long as we don't start seeing weekly specials and advertisements over and over and over again.
That being said, let's see some of that stuff from Curts?

Perhaps one of the coolest things happened to me today. A friend who knows how hard im trying to put this project together dropped this off to me at the house this morning. His only request was to get the project built and get proficient with it.
AC7E9A3D-orig.jpg

However, because I believe in returning favors he received a Cuban Cohiba

Along with this I traded a harris clone bipod for handguards,stock,trigger guard,and a couple little extras.
Now im on the waiting list for a partial upper (less the bolt and barrel).

Im lucky to have such good friends :)

Made a trade this week. Got a standard grip,6 pos stock,trigger guard,Magpul MOE forarm stock, and a couple little extras for a Harris Bipod clone. Not a bad trade huh? Pics as soon as the parts arrive.

Sounds like a sweet trade.

I'll have to bow out of the economy build. I kept pricing what I wanted in an AR and it was higher than the ceiling for this thread, not by much but still higher. It was also higher than...

It'll almost sound like a broken record, but a buddy turned me on to Curt's and I called to find out a bit more. SA&A upper and lower, not to sure what make the rest of the parts are, the bolt has three letters I looked up and supposed to be Colt, has an HBAR, flat top upper and gas block, all Magpul plastic including P-Mag, and a carry bag, and all for $599. I bought it, added carry handle rear sight and LMT front sight for $59 each.

Bryan

OK, I re-read the first page. Having a deadline of late September I may still be able to build too. IDK what the wife will think. Count me in still. And, with a little notice of if and when the bulk bbl buy would happen I'd be interested in that. Have you guys seen the thread in the Dan-Dee forum about cheap lowers and uppers?

Bryan

Well,their isn't so much as a cieling on the build but more of a how low can you go type of goal. I have one of the lowers from dan dees and they are really nice. I have the stripped upper on order there as well. I'm going to try to trade my way through most of the build. Theirs so much AR stuff out there that most people have a few extra parts laying around.
That being said,if anyone has extra parts they arnt using and willing to work a trade or trade and cash. PM me. I may have something you want. Just ask.

do you need any special guages? etcc.... if you buy a ready to go barrel is it ready to go or is the machining still to do?

Well you're going to want to make sure the head space is correct and their is a gauge for that. If you just slap a barrel in the upper without checking that your going to be pulling bits of AR out of your face and hands.
I'm not entirly sure what you use a torque wrench on though.

Torque wrench is for the barrel nut. 30-80 lbs. I have never seen a modern barrel not pass head space. Out of all the uppers I have built (admittedly a low number) I have not used a head space gauge, and every one has been fine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top