JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I borrowed this idea from another forum and just wanted to toss the idea out here to see if ther is any interest,

I've been wanting to build a beater AR truck gun for awhile and thought maybe some folks would want to join in.
basicly we as a group decide the parts, pick a start and finish date and post pics of the progress.
the rules would be loose if you wanted to customize it but the uppers and lowers should stay close to the same costs.
Build time would be anywhere from 6 the to 9 months and we could even vote on the best build.

Im open to any suggestions or ideas and maybe we can arrange a group buy on parts.

Any takers?

Start date: Feb 28th.(to give some time for planning) Deadline:Sept 30th.

Last Edited:
I just started this lower last night. Used lower that has never been assembled $85. ArmaLite two stage LPK $120.
FMA02-1.jpg
FMA01-1.jpg

I well screw a pistol tube on it before I go any further with it. Then it's legal in either configuration.

I've got this flat top upper I stole off another incomplete build.
Rainier03.jpg

This one is still unfinished.
AXTS01.jpg
AXTS02.jpg

I'm waiting, and waiting, for Wolf to release the steel case Grendel ammo. If the Wolf shots well I want to move from 5.56 to 6.5G on most of my AR's. I've been holding off buying any barrels.

I was thinking of more in terms of the challenge is using the least expensive parts like a plum crazy or aero precision lower and a genaric upper. I guess the goal would be a build under 500.00 and possibly as low as 350.00 using all NEW parts.
Madcrate has a sick start on everyone! LOL

Use the Aero ....... good receiver and the same compnay that makes Stag Lowers ..... Take a look here for an inexpensive start:

AR 15 AR-15 Complete Lower 4 Position $129.99 : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

If you live in WA you can buy it for the same price at their store ...... no shipping ..... :)

Aero's are very nice. Best case senerio (unless you live in lakewood) would be about 115 out the door from an FFL that would do a 10 dollar transfer.
I built a pistol build with an Aero and they work nice. I also like the Rainier arms lower very much. The Spikes are still my favorite roll marks though....
Also the SAA is very decent.

I'm in. I have an SAA lower that I am color filling. I will be into a group build.

The Aero Precision lowers are damn nice, I picked up a pair last year for $100 plus shipping and FFL. Finial cost was about $70 each. I'm always watching for used AR parts at bargain bin prices.

Here's a AP lower, ArmaLite LPK, PWS pistol tube, about $270 with a two stage trigger.
PWS01.jpg

I found this upper used for $250, a old Colt A1 with Colt BCG, the barrel looks like a cut down Bushmaster to me. Mated together with the above upper. This 10.5 barrel well go on a flat top some day. Just as soon as I find a Colt 20" for the A1 Colt upper.

scolt02.jpg

The day after I ordered the PWS pistol tube I found this for $40.
re01.jpg

Waiting on SBR stamp.

I've done a couple in that $350 range via trading stuff I paid dirt for. I still get a kind of sick satisfaction from holding a brand new AR that cost me less than $400 out of pocket! Great idea, I hope it kicks off, used stuff should count too.

dang, you guys going to use them fancy store bought recievers? Down in CA we would do a homebuilt party, buy 80% recievers and jigs, finish and anodize them ourselves. One day, 10 - 20 completed. some folks have done them from forgings, forgings be cheap.

Sportsmans guide has the barrels for $90 (to a "member") 1/7 twist, they also have 7.62x39 for the same price, their free shipping just ended. I have used a couple, no problems.

put in a call to JSE (kansas I think, really good deals on components)

Welcome Barone20.
you will find alot of helpful folks here. Although I've owned AR's in the past this will be my first ground up build as well. You are welcome to join the build and if you follow the links you will find the best prices.
Remember, the spirit of the build is as low cost as possible.

It's coming!!!! Maybe late spring? Kinda pissed about the price, now it's closer to .40 a round than the initial .30 cents +/-.

Here's what Bill A. had to say about it.

We got to sit down with the Russian production/engineering people to discuss the test results generated from the initial batch of ammunition late last year. They are pleased with progress and are pushing for completion of the project. Propellent remains a question but they are confident they have a good projectile. I think both sides were happy that the green lacquer worked so well in the chambers. It exceeded the performance of the polymer coated cases and would continue to run when the polymer was sticking. The Russians are far happier with this coating from a number of perspectives. As a note we tested both stainless and chrome lined barrels with equal success.

im looking forward to the build. does anyone have any experience good or bad with aero prescision, or surplus ammo and arms. or do you know of a place cheaper to get stripped upper and lower receivers?

also any insight on the plum crazy versions of the ar lowers. i have never seen or heard from anyone who built a composite ar and wasn't sure how that is. is there a weight difference? performance? it seems very cheesy to me, but i may be wrong

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top