JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
By the way medical bills are common lots of people have medical bills but it's what your doing about them that counts five years and haven't made a payment looks bad

I had a prospective tenant call me and ask for a tour once at one of my rentals. His excitement waned when I asked what his credit, income and background were like. I could feel him sink in his chair over the phone. He claimed he got evicted from his first and only apartment 3 years ago. Somehow he thought telling me that it was after only a month there and that it was stupid and not his fault made it seem better. Then he said he will pay them back. I asked what his income is. 15K a year, less than half of what the rent was at my rental.

So I asked him, you lived in a place for only a month, the one and only place you've ever rented kicked you out after a month, it's their fault but you are going to pay them back and have had three years to do so but have not, and now you want to rent a place from me that the rent alone is TWICE your gross income?

Click...

As a landlord, I've found that credit score is the best indication of behavior. I have an 824 credit score and own a lot of rental properties.

Wouldn't you know it anyone with a sub 700 credit score I've dealt with has been nothing but absolute problems. I've found most other landlords have had the exact same experience. When you go sub 600, the tenants are even worse.

Credit score is literally the best indication of responsible financial behavior.

The same tenants I've had problems with had multiple unpaid tickets, utility bills, landlord collections, insurance judgments (driving without insurance and causing an accident), etc.

Sorry, but your buddy has no business becoming a cop and yes, it will DQ him. Guaranteed.

Last Edited:
As a landlord, I've found that credit score is the best indication of behavior. I have an 824 credit score and own a lot of rental properties.
Not sure about that... My credit score is stuck in limbo at 766. Apparently paying it all off at once and rarely using it doesn't do good for your credit. :confused:

Not sure about that... My credit score is stuck in limbo at 766. Apparently paying it all off at once and rarely using it doesn't do good for your credit. :confused:

766 is still a very good credit score. I've yet to have a problem with a tenant that has a 700+ credit score. They also leave the place better than I rented it to them. So yes, my statement stands unless you are saying you're a crummy tenant when you say you're not sure about credit score being related to financial behavior and have a 766 score?

Having no debt generally affects your credit too. It also depends on your revolving debt in general. I own multiple rental properties in King County. They are expensive properties. I owe a lot of money. A LOT. I still have an 824 credit score. It would be higher if I didn't owe that debt. But 824 out of 850 possible is exceptional rating anyways. I still owe loans from undergrad. I did pay cash for grad school upfront but my loans from undergrad went into deferment anyways (interest rate is so low, no hurry to pay off). Once I finished grad school and my loans came out of deferment my credit score jumped again.

I'll bet once I pay off student loans it will jump again, and as long as I keep some debt that I pay on it should stay high.

766 is still a very good credit score. I've yet to have a problem with a tenant that has a 700+ credit score. They also leave the place better than I rented it to them. So yes, my statement stands unless you are saying you're a crummy tenant when you say you're not sure about credit score being related to financial behavior and have a 766 score?

It also depends on your revolving debt in general. I own multiple rental properties in King County. They are expensive properties. I owe a lot of money. A LOT. I still have an 824 credit score. It would be higher if I didn't owe that debt. But 824 out of 850 possible is exceptional rating anyways. I still owe loans from undergrad. I did pay cash for grad school upfront but my loans from undergrad went into deferment anyways (interest rate is so low, no hurry to pay off). Once I finished grad school and my loans came out of deferment my credit score jumped again.

I'll bet once I pay off student loans it will jump again, and as long as I keep some debt that I pay on it should stay high.
Meant financial behavior. I know a few folk in the 700 range who are still reckless (they just get lucky). Course most people I know in the below 700 range are just reckless (complain about not having money due to debt but still buying things like movie tickets and game console).

Meant financial behavior. I know a few folk in the 700 range who are still reckless (they just get lucky). Course most people I know in the below 700 range are just reckless (complain about not having money due to debt but still buying things like movie tickets and game console).
Guns

Oh you see... They claim to be gun nuts, but spend most of their money on anything BUT guns.

A friend said one of his friends needs to finish their, but got a game console instead. :confused: Not the type of person I'd trust as a LEO... Gotta know how to set up priorities and stick to them IMHO.

They will know his employment history from his credit report. They will check all references. They will crawl up his bubblegum with a microscope. Been thru the process a bunch and yes - bad credit and jumping job to job will dq him. He needs to spend a few years demonstrating growth and maturation then maybe try again, or give it up and pick a different career path.

Credit score is literally the best indication of responsible financial behavior.

After having a major business reversal in the recession of 2008, having health issues in 2009, I crawled back to work, made some great deals and was on my way back. In 2011 I suffered a life threatening illness was hospitalized for 3 months and we damn near lost everything. After being on rock bottom, I have made my way back to financial stability over the last 5 years, and my credit rating is sh*t because of those past problems.

I would not qualify to rent one of your apartments based upon our credit score, but I could write you a check to buy the building from you. I used no leverage coming back, just made a bunch of good real estate deals.

I don't need credit, I don't want credit, I pay cash for vehicles and anything else. I just purchased 3 pieces of property in Central Oregon, one to live on and the others to hold and flip, paid cash for all of them. A good credit rating is good, and while mine reflects problems in the past, it is hardly an indicator of our current financial behavior.

Hell, I don't even know what our credit score is and really don't care.

My training officer friends say that the new crop of cop recruits, most are snowflakes. They complained because:

The FTO yelled at them when they screwed up in a room clearing drill.

The FTO was dipping Copenhagen at the range.

The FTO told them to get out of the seat at briefing that the FTO has been sitting in for 17 years.

The FTO made them run after a perp while the FTO waited for the squirrel to run back past them.

:eek::eek:

LEO's are held to a higher standard. With great power comes great responsibility. Your buddy isn't ready to shoulder that responsibility. There's still time though for him to get his head on right.

This is going to be my last post on this thread lol dude he's not trying to get a job at the local hamburger stand HE WANTS TO BE A POLICE OFFICER WTF do you think they just take any Joe Shlomo that walks in the door you didn't say how old he is if he's under 25 tell him join the military and get some experience in law enforcement there I'm out

Some do, some don't.

But most in Oregon will check you out, and I would think that they will find anything a person leaves off, including jobs which are pretty easy to find out about, especially by LE orgs which have much more power to dig into someone's history.

In a situation like this, it is always better to be forthcoming and honest.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top