JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my townhouse sits on the Northwest corner of suburbia Corvallis and then the beginning of the Coastal range. It seems there are far more deer in the city area than spots where I have hunted such as BLM 10 rd. or some of the wilderness areas near the coast. Maybe its just because they are adapted to the area and not as frightened by humans. I have watched in my back yard, over 4 different does, 2 of which who had twins, and 2 with singles raise their little ones. Literally from a few days old to now. As a Fisheries and Wildlife student at OSU this is one of the coolest things to witness over the course of time. I have hunted deer in Minnesota for 12 years. Yes, I am older than 30. But to witness the course of life in the wild is a precious opportunity. I have seen a mother who was assumed to be hit by a car, struggle while the little one followed. Other fawns unrelated would go up and sniff her and you could tell they knew she was hurt. She died, and a lone doe "adopted the fawn", who was old enough not to have to depend on milk. I have seen one of the two twins I named "poopey, and pokey", turn to only poopey. Pokey died for unknown reasons, yet the night before, I heard what sounded like a murderous scream. Which I thought was a bobcat, but, what ever it was, if it killed the fawn, left it un-eaten. It was picked up by the city before something could return.
The last week I have noticed the deer acting differently. Kind of like earlier in the season when I witnessed, 5 TROPHEY Black tails all hanging out together - Bachelor group. But this was different in the fact that the does were with or without fawns, but being followed by younger bucks. Later in the week, I started to see late at night with night vision, the big bucks, who have been gone most of the summer, start to reappear. TODAY...A young buck, who looked to be this years fawn, with only 1 tiny button, smelling puntang, chasing, following, and then trying twice to mount a doe. I could not believe it.
But then I watched them after he got the picture it wasn't going to happen. Both of them were smelling the air, breathing like marathon runners, and the doe was always squatting like she had to pee or poop. And the little guy, well, I Saw the dingy....I thought to my self, one of those big bucks has to smell this. Within 1 hour, the biggest, 8 points, and very tall, ran in and tried to kill the little yearling buck. Not fight it, but gore its stomach and side. The little guy fell, but avoided death. I ran to get my nice zoom lens dig. camera, and a neighbor walking her dog on the path behind our house, slowly convinced the doe and big buck to run across the street, middle of the day, in slight traffic. So I am hoping to get some pics of this guy and will post them.
Moral of the story, if you did not get out 2day to hunt the coast range? You better get out 2morrow for the last day of the season. It was like a light switch and the does are Hot, and the bucks are out to Trott.
Best of luck everyone.
Mark

Yep the rut started early this year with the cooler weather. The buck I got was down and had a small doe with him along with a spike following her scent right behind. The last two weeks have been seeing a lot of bucks and my brother has been seeing a lot of new scrape activity. Most likely the fact you are seeing so many deer around is because that area of Corn Valley (Corvallis) has spread out into what used to be the woods where the deer ran and the they don't want to move out.

On a side note: was that buck really an eight point or are you stuck in the Minn. way of counting both sides (really a four point). The deer below are 3X4's not seven points..

100_0267.jpg

100_0402.jpg

100_0269.jpg

deer 2011.jpg

Yep the rut started early this year with the cooler weather. The buck I got was down and had a small doe with him along with a spike following her scent right behind. The last two weeks have been seeing a lot of bucks and my brother has been seeing a lot of new scrape activity. Most likely the fact you are seeing so many deer around is because that area of Corn Valley (Corvallis) has spread out into what used to be the woods where the deer ran and the they don't want to move out.

On a side note: was that buck really an eight point or are you stuck in the Minn. way of counting both sides (really a four point). The deer below are 3X4's not seven points..

I was expecting that, but not on the first question. I am sure, and have a witness, who is in the process of applying for multiple different agencies as a game warden in the Pacific West. He cannot even lie about farting out loud because of lie detector testing. I personally did not believe what I saw a week ago, but I confirmed it today. For a Black tail, this thing is very Tall, and the most back point is still 4 inches. It is a true eight point. I seriously ran down the road asking people with my very expensive camera, if they saw a buck following a doe, just to get a pic.......After re-reading your post, IT had 4 points on each side, and the smallest point was 4 inches long. Would that be a 4x4 or a 8 point? In Oregon terms

I was expecting that, but not on the first question. I am sure, and have a witness, who is in the process of applying for multiple different agencies as a game warden in the Pacific West. He cannot even lie about farting out loud because of lie detector testing. I personally did not believe what I saw a week ago, but I confirmed it today. For a Black tail, this thing is very Tall, and the most back point is still 4 inches. It is a true eight point. I seriously ran down the road asking people with my very expensive camera, if they saw a buck following a doe, just to get a pic.......After re-reading your post, IT had 4 points on each side, and the smallest point was 4 inches long. Would that be a 4x4 or a 8 point? In Oregon terms

4 point

OK, I can see how you were weary on my 8 point, but I still understand how rare it is to have all four points on each side, with a good spread, all at least 4 inches long or more. It was very impressive for a blacktail, I would have shot it if it was a white tail back home, even though I would wait for the chance of a 5x5 early in the season.....
yet hear, I have a lot of windshield miles and hiking miles and would love to find a legal buck to shoot. Its tough starting out here as a new hunter here.

I have a Willamette Unit 615 tag, I can take a buck or a doe and I have until Febuary 28th to fill it.:D I was out today on some private property just outside of Newberg that the owner has given me permission to hunt on, and he had a HUGE 3 pt buck run thru his garden. I had to pass on the shot for safety reasons, but that buck will be back and so will I. I am a UPS driver with a rural route, so I am seeing the deer all the time and the rut definately started early this year.

I shot this buck today on private property outside of Newberg with a 615 Willamette Unit tag. He hung at 120 lbs at the butcher (gutted, skinned and beheaded), hes the biggest buck I have ever gotten. There will be venison in my freezer this winter!

null_zps410e1b7b.jpg

I don't know what we are seeing son has a hair tag for Mackenzie unit ends the 20th. Hunted out towards Brownsville all weekend didn't see what I thought we would. Was thinking rut would be on and see more movement during day but notta (saw a couple does Saturday) Tried some rattling and a few calls. Any advise appreciated only hunted afternoon/eve will try to get Friday off and hit hard this weekend.

I guess that because I dont' hunt and live I live in the country...I see them all to often. Saturday I have a nice 4 point buck on the back cornor of my property, on my way to work this morning I saw well muscle 3 point and he wasn't too far the same spot tonight...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top