JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are the 5 gallon plastic buckets with the snap on lids good enough for inside storage? The lids have a rubber gasket. I wouldn't trust them to be water tight, just little pest proof.
Yes, fairly. If it has a gasket then yes most insects wont go to that much trouble to push through.
If its just a plastic lid without a seal, Ive seen all kinds of stuff sneak into them.

(BTW, Im a pest control technician so Ive seen neary everything.. But I didnt stay at a Holiday Inn so take my advice with a grain of salt.)

What Id be more concerned about is mold.
Even if its air tight the oxygen in the containers contains moisuture and bacteria particles. A desiccant or a purging gas and mylar bag are suggested for long term storage.

Sterile (new) paint cans make GREAT containers and yeild smaller portions should you need to crack them open. Lessening your likelihood of taining the entire 5g food-store with constant reopening.

When I go fishin, I always bring one for the wife because she hates peeing in a coffee can.........................:D
I have a toilet seat that fits on a bucket that I keep on the boat just for the same reason. :confused: I went with a guy on another boat and he had a piece of pvc pipe for the guys so they wouldn't pee all over the side of the boat!

I would only use new buckets with a "2" in the triangle stamp when storing food or water.

List the contents and the exp dates on the outside so you can inventory without breaking the seal.

I would only use new buckets with a "2" in the triangle stamp when storing food or water.

List the contents and the exp dates on the outside so you can inventory without breaking the seal.
M b

Most Jane the 2 but a couple have a 5 in the triangle. Are they good for anything?

Mold, sunlight, bacteria, pests and other insects are just a few things you've got to worry about with food and water storage.

Also, not any bucket will do when storing food...it is suggested to use food-grade buckets...and it is always suggested to seal any food in mylar and just use the bucket to protect the mylar inside.

Are the 5 gallon plastic buckets with the snap on lids good enough for inside storage? The lids have a rubber gasket. I wouldn't trust them to be water tight, just little pest proof.

Brokenarrow,

I've done a little research on long term food storage(25 years+) and here's what you need:

- buckets with lids- I used Home Depot
- duct tape
- Mylar bags- I suggest the 1 gallon ones
- oxygen absorbers
- permanent marker

Put your food/contents inside the Mylar bags, put an oxygen absorber inside, and seal them with an iron. Label bags with date and content info.

Place bags inside of bucket

Close lid tightly

Label outside of bucket of date and contents

Duct tape around lid seam to keep air/ bugs out.

Done

There are some good videos on YouTube that show this process better which you should watch if you do this.

All products can be found on Amazon.

For cheap survival food dried beans and rice will keep you alive and healthy for a long time.

It's also worth adding a life straw into your buckets FYI

Good luck,

Brokenarrow,

I've done a little research on long term food storage(25 years+) and here's what you need:

- buckets with lids- I used Home Depot
- duct tape
- Mylar bags- I suggest the 1 gallon ones
- oxygen absorbers
- permanent marker

Put your food/contents inside the Mylar bags, put an oxygen absorber inside, and seal them with an iron. Label bags with date and content info.

Place bags inside of bucket

Close lid tightly

Label outside of bucket of date and contents

Duct tape around lid seam to keep air/ bugs out.

Done

There are some good videos on YouTube that show this process better which you should watch if you do this.

All products can be found on Amazon.

For cheap survival food dried beans and rice will keep you alive and healthy for a long time.

It's also worth adding a life straw into your buckets FYI

Good luck,

Forgot to add that you ought to open the bags of rice, beans, whatever and pour them into the Mylar bag instead of keeping them in their original container.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top