Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

bubbarized

Discussion in 'Rifle Classifieds' started by eldbillbo, Sep 9, 2009.

1. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

its been bubberized barrel cut to 21" stock refinished and next a scope mount welded on

2. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Can you add a shot of the barrel markings please?

3. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

stampings are kind of light the flash would flush them out.

it has a tiny crest of some sorts center top and its stamp with the "SA" In a box one left hand bottom left corner and a "N" centered lower middle

4. eldbillbo

5. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Have you listed it on the gunboards.com forum as well? I'd buy the bloody thing had I the funds.

6. sultanofswat

sultanofswat canby, OR Member

i have an arsenal redo 91/30 that i got from big 5 if you want to trade?

7. eldbillbo

another 91 would be too long

the reason this has to go is its too tall for my safe need a shorter model hate to get rid of a finn redo as i have compared the action to others and its nicer

i thought about just cutting the barrel to fit into the safe but its counterbored and thats something collectors look for and i hate to cut off something like that

i thought about just putting a new stock on it getting a scout scope mount that since thats does not require drill and tapping its a good way to go even though i keep the bolt in the safe it bugs me that i can't put the whole rifle in so i would like to trade it for a nicer condition shorter model that has less historical or collectable value preferably get one with some accessories or has alread been sporterized or partially sporterized

thanks

also currently looking for a stainless steel 30.06 hunting rifle for a buddy of mine so if you have one to trade he can reimburse me the cash and add cash to buy yours

8. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

An M38 or M44 would be a good trade, but I don't have one. If you haven't...sawzalled (gasp)...it yet by Thanksgiving, I'd like a crack at this rifle.

Keith

9. usrifle

usrifle washington Member

....a 91/30 is shorter than an M91. Don't "Bubba" that old girl! Trade it for a refurb 91/30.
    Counterboring is not "desirable" to collector's of Finn Mosin's, it's "accepted" as an accuracy improvement for damaged rifling at the muzzle.
    usrifle

10. usrifle

What exactly are the markings on the barrel shank?
    Thanks
    usrifle

11. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

does it have the czar eagle intact?

12. BrianL

BrianL Hermiston Active Member

Its hard to tell by the pics, but does the rifle have its sling swivels? Or are they missing?

13. usrifle

They are missing...He's not answering, i hope he didn't "whack" it yet.
    usrifle

14. eldbillbo

What exactly are the markings on the barrel shank?

SA in a box N and 533

does it have the czar eagle intact?

Yes

Its hard to tell by the pics, but does the rifle have its sling swivels? Or are they missing?

no sling swivels

15. usrifle

Thanks
    usrifle

16. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

I bought one of the cheap setups from ebay for the 91/30. I took off the front sight and put on the adapter and the scout scope for a fitting to see if I tought they would hold up. I decided it woudn't work the way it was made. I drilled the opening in the rail adpter out so it would take to orginal sight pin and that helped a bit. Then I set it all up and came to the conclusion that unless I used mounds of JB weld to attach this thing it was never going to work for more than a few shots before going out. I couldn't even bring myself to the point of Bubba;ing a big 5 1936 Mosin that bad. The metal sights are pretty good, I'm sticking with them.

Also, about not fitting in the safe, you could just put the bolt in the safe, they come out easier than pulling a pop top on a soda can and fit in a ziplock bag.

17. eldbillbo

i think i'm going to find a steel weaver rail and mig weld it to the sight base
    that way i know it wont move besides costing less i figure once i take a sawsall to the barrel all collectors value will be gone and it will be just another $99 big 5 special unless i trade or sell it

i will now trade if for a shorther mosin with a nicer stock clean shiny bore and the bolt tool and folding bayonet

18. bugeye

Seeing at how poorly my old eyes can do the metals,
    I superglued the rails up on my 36, deciding if it didn't work I could knock it off, scrape it out and go back to the stock metal sight. I took it to the range yesterday and managed to get consistent 1 inch groups at 50 yards using the cheapie scope at it's maximum 7 power with surplus ammo. I needed that much power (prob. the scope is optimistic) to see the target well, I think this scope is pretty crappy with low resolution. I didn't go to 100 yards because I forgot to bring my spotting scope so couldn't have seen the bullet holes. I did try to ring the gongs at 200 yards about 8 times, with no luck.

The superglued mount stayed steady, however when I screwed the covers back over the scope adjustments it seemed to drift about 3moa to the right (and I put them back on before trying the gongs not realizing the drift). Even then the groupings were pretty good for this old thing.

So, I'm looking for a good scout scope for this thing, very enjoyable shoot now, I'll be using it a lot more so it was worth the bubba.

If you're going to weld it use a caliper to make sure it is the same height at the front and the back of the rear sight block, and eyeball the left and right.

19. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

Superglue!????? If thats not bubba then what is

20. bugeye

If I knew it was going to work this well I would have roughened the surfaces and used JB weld. I'm not going to redo the mounting until I find a decent scope. I knew the old 1936 could shoot better than I could off the irons but it's looking good and it was windy too, maybe sneak out while the turkey is cooking and see what it does at 100 yards. One thing it shows me is how much I want an accurate bolt rifle with a huge conventional scope in something affordable like 223.

I used regular locktite because I wanted to be able to remove it, but I've used locktite 380 black max superglue for all sorts of assembly and industrial repairs, don't sell superglue short until you've used that suff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.