Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bubba and his kitchen table

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jbett98, Apr 27, 2012.

1. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

One of my biggest pet peeves is when I go to look over a firearm for sale, and find that someone, at sometime, has tried to repair, fix, make better, look inside for who knows why, all with the wrong tools to do it with.
    You can see this a mile away, bunged up screw heads, mismatched bluing, and best of all, the cross hatch pattern from a framing hammer.
    I collect vintage guns, and when I see a firearm with virgin screws, original bluing and just plain left alone written all over it, I pay more, simple as that.
    Do yourself a favor and buy some gunsmithing tools, brass drifts, brass headed hammer and especially the hollow ground screwdriver kit made just for firearms.
    Your firearms will thank you, and down the road when you decide to sell, it will be worth it.

2. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

True, This goes for all trades.

gearhead and (deleted member) like this.
  3. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

my buddy is a gunsmith. The first thing I learned from him is checking screw heads. It served me well.

4. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I always bung up my screw heads. But that's probably because I intentionally cross-thread them going in so I can save on Loc-tite.

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Just make sure it is the red stuff so the screws never come loose.