JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Target reloading
I've been trying to stick to BT because that's what I heard is ideal, but not impressed yet. After running out of what I made specifically for this rifle, I used some leftover loads from a different rifle. .308. The flat bottom performing outstandingly right off the bat. So I googled the VERSES and found this. What do you think?

Target reloading
I've been trying to stick to BT because that's what I heard is ideal, but not impressed yet. After running out of what I made specifically for this rifle, I used some leftover loads from a different rifle. .308. The flat bottom performing outstandingly right off the bat. So I googled the VERSES and found this. What do you think?

I always heard that there's zero benefit in using boat tails inside of 300 yards. Throat wear is about double using boat tails compared to flat base also.

Boat tail projectiles generally pay off for longer ranges due to the aerodynamics. Flat base stabilize faster and are generally accepted to be better for closer ranges.

The only rub is flat based bullets can be easier to damage when seating. Damaging the base of the bullet can be detrimental to accuracy.

boat tail all day every day, much better coefficient, better aerodynamics. been shooting BT's for 40 years.
I totally agree at 600 yards. At 200 yards those things don't matter much at all. In my M1's and 1903's, Speer TNT 125gr flat base bullets shoot about 1/2 moa more accurate, use less powder, have less recoil and cost 1/2 as much as 168 BTHP bullets. While they are flat base, the benefits are mostly because of the weight.

That's what she/her said
1652850490857.jpeg

Beat to the punch.

I totally agree at 600 yards. At 200 yards those things don't matter much at all. In my M1's and 1903's, Speer TNT 125gr flat base bullets shoot about 1/2 moa more accurate, use less powder, have less recoil and cost 1/2 as much as 168 BTHP bullets. While they are flat base, the benefits are mostly because of the weight.
I have found the flat bottom bullets a little better accuracy with old M1s at 200 yards or less compared to boat tails.
I also use the Speer 125 TNT for the M1.
boat tail all day every day, much better coefficient, better aerodynamics. been shooting BT's for 40 years.
Ever try a flat bottom match bullet? The 53 grain Sierra Matchking is a flat bottom bullet compared
to there 52 grain Sierra Matchking is a boat tail. The 53 grain flat bottom will shoot a tighter groups out
to 200 yards. Especially noticeable improvement in a worn barrel. FYI the 52 and 53 SMK are super accurate
in any twist rate barrel, 1/7, 1/8 or 1/9 twist rate.

Both the 7x57 Mauser and .303 British started off with flat-based bullet.

Both my 7mm Mausers shoot 175gr FB bullets with very acceptable accuracy, thanks to the generoushoodship of of a postist on this forum. :)

This is where I'm at 200yrds….. I didn't have enough ammo to try and continue to get sub MOA. But the results were night and day to BT

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top