JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I too would not want to bet on this one if it gets to court. If I was on the jury it would be no but, they may throw the book at him and hope to get him to plead. I have been saying for a long time though that since those who are supposed to enforce laws have their hands tied people are going to start to take the law into their own hands. Those two look like stupid kids who "heard" they could just do anything they want and get away with it. Notice how hesitant they were to do anything at first. Now one of them probably paid for this stupidity with his life.

"I'M DEAD!! I'm dead"............"diiing diiing".... Right on cue.

I wonder if skinny-arms in the white shirt is contemplating his life choices.

If the owner is prosecuted, skinny-arms is "open-and-shut" guilty of homicide, too. He was obviously the leader, and the deceased was just following along.
In many jurisdictions that does happen. If one of the scum die committing a crime, the others involved are charged with murder. It often happens with someone who is just the get away driver or lookout. Not sure how NEV law works but, I would love to see them charge the other moron for the death of his buddy.

Self defense is important.

However , when in a stressful situation the mind can often see and hear what it expects to see and hear , and not what is actually happening.
I am not saying that is the case here...just tossing that out as something to consider.

Also something to keep in mind is that perception will vary between people.
How others think and what they see , is often colored by their life experiences and viewpoints.
These folks may also be called as witnesses , which may be helpful or not to you.

And while there is that tired old saying :
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...has some merit...
Those 12 who judge you , may not think , see or feel the same way about the situation that you do.

Getting back to actual self defense...

It may be best to stop the threat.
Notice I said stop....which does not mean that one must kill the threat....Just stop it.
Stopping the threat can be done by many different means....avoidance , blocking , even engaging if needed....
And yes killing is sometimes a result of this.
However , by doing so , you will not only change someone else's life...yours as well will be changed.
Andy

I would NOT want to take my chances with that one in court. I hope if works out ok for him.
Agree. The culture of the area would influence this a lot I think. Fe Wyoming vs LA the same occurrence may have drastically different legal outcomes due to willingness of the prosecutor and also who would compose a typical jury.

I'm not criticizing the store owner at all. Lots of robberies go down in PDX like that often now. And most often they are armed with a gun or knife. Got to defend oneself and like someone said above poeple can only take so much. I wonder if this guy had been robbed before.

That looks like defending property rather than one's life. Depending on jurisdiction, this could be a REAL sticky situation, largely because the owner stabbed the guy in black several times in the back while he was taking product. I like the outcome, but man oh man....

Store owner was handling it really well, basically "just take the money and f'off" until the idiot jumps the counter.

I understand his anger/frustration, at getting robbed, you can argue he it was right to defend himself by stabbing the guy, ( after all, he just leapt over the counter into his space).
I doubt he intended to stab the guy to death, but when you you're in a scrap you're just going to keep striking out until the other person stops fighting back....and the counter jumper did fight back after the initial strikes...Could he have just used the knife to scare the idiots off, could he have stabbed less maybe, maybe not, but I bet when he replays it in his mind he'll wish he'd done something different
A few of those first stab wounds look like they'll be in the perps back...If he is charged and if a jury trial goes his way, he's still probably got civil suits to fight- even if he wins those, he still loses:- his cost in time, money and emotional toll is going to likely change his life for the worse for many years to come...

I've some mixed feelings over this one but, in the society we are currently living in and mentioned above, I think folks are starting to really get fed up! Wishing the store employee the best. :s0155:

Last Edited:
You shouldn't have to be reactive about defending your life why should you have to wait till they pull a gun or knife out to make the decision to defend yourself, they made the decision to rob the place and commit the crime how was he supposed to know if they were gonna murder him or not , bubblegum them The world would be a better place if he had killed them both.

In situations like these I do wonder if the parents blame the store owner, their child or them selves for all the times they should've been parents but weren't.

Last Edited:
You shouldn't have to be reactive about defending your life why should you have to wait till they pull a gun or knife out to make the decision to defend yourself, they made the decision to rob the place and commit the crime how was he supposed to know if they were gonna murder him or not , bubblegum them The world would be a better place if he had killed them both.
Seems to me a number of things at play here the most important of which is what is the law where it happened, 2nd is the culture where it happened (ie prosecutor willingness and jury).

For example if the law there is deadly force is legal "if a reasonable person would be believe to be in fear for their life" then would the perp jumping over the counter rise to that level? To some it would to others maybe not.

To me if he had been robbed many times in the past by poeple with weapons maybe that would be a factor in whether it was a reasonable response or not (for the very reason you mentioned, if he waited he may have ended up dead).

So to me it seems to be a grey area and that's why we all need to know the laws where we are and also the culture.

Also I think any actions that would be considered "passive/non aggressive/non-escalating" in trying to stop the attack (Fe telling them to stop, get back, moving backwards, etc.) all help in showing it was self defense.

A few things I can see that work in the owner's favor are the perps were the instigator (not the owner), I didn't see any actions by the owner to "prime the pump" in the conflict (ie he didn't "dare" them, escalate, etc), the owner told them several times to stop, just leave, etc. I think all those things will be helpful in showing self defense. But all just IMO...

Another thought is that to us seeing it on video it may appear the perp jumped the counter to steal stuff. But if we were there and we told them several times to stop, leave etc then the guy suddenly jumped over the counter at us we might think he is jumping the counter to attack us.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top