JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A fellow longtime Northwest Firearms member has written a novel that sounds really good. It's called the Brushfire Plague.
It's an action/survival story set amidst a plague and it's set here in Portland.
It's published by Prepper Press. I'm posting for him because he wants to keep his identity private for operational security reasons.
I'll be getting a copy soon and thought others might want to check it out too.

More info here: Brushfire Plague | Surviving the plague was only the beginning…

Info or Purchase:
A fellow longtime Northwest Firearms member has written a novel that sounds really good. It's called the Brushfire Plague. It's an action/survival story set amidst a plague and it's set here in Portland. It's published by Prepper Press. I'm posting for him because he wants to keep his identity private for operational security reasons. I'll be getting a copy soon and thought others might want to check it out too.

More info here: www.brushfireplague.com

Info or Purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Brushfire-Pla...1&keywords=brushfire plague&tag=vglnk-c252-20

Be well,
Will

Review of Brushfire Plague:

"This is a fast-paced novel for anyone who loves action/adventure coupled with likable/believable characters. I have a son, and the main character's courageous efforts to save his son's life resonated with me. The deadly plague has a story of its own that keeps the reader thinking on multiple levels. Recommended!"--Joe Nobody, noted author of non-fiction and fiction including, Holding Their Own, Without Rule of Law, and Holding Your Ground

Brushfire Plague | Surviving the plague was only the beginning...

Review of Brushfire Plague:

"This is a fast-paced novel for anyone who loves action/adventure coupled with likable/believable characters. I have a son, and the main character's courageous efforts to save his son's life resonated with me. The deadly plague has a story of its own that keeps the reader thinking on multiple levels. Recommended!"--Joe Nobody, noted author of non-fiction and fiction including, Holding Their Own, Without Rule of Law, and Holding Your Ground

Brushfire Plague | Surviving the plague was only the beginning…

Just saw a review of this book on SHTF Blog – a TEOTWAWKI Survival Blog - Gonna order a copy.

Someone else on this site recommended this book so I ordered it as an E-book. Overall it is a pretty good book, especially given it appears this may be the authors first or close to first attempt at writing a novel. The book is pretty fast paced easy read and having the Portland landmarks intertwined does give it a little something extra for us Portland area readers. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend this book to everyone but I think the vast majority of the members of this forum would really enjoy this novel.

I will admit that I came into this expecting it to be a book bashing anyone who wasn't an extreme diehard prepper/anti-government person but that was not the case. In fact I really enjoyed how the author portrayed the plague, its cause and everyone's reaction to it. ( I don't want to spoil anything so I won't go into any further detail)

The book reminded me a lot of an old louis l'amour novel but with a post apocalyptic plague twist. The one criticism I think is worth mentioning was the portrayal/dialogue of the main character. His Clark Kent/Superman type instant transformation from a mild mannered traveling hardware supply salesman to a post apocalyptic, freedom fighting death dealer could be a little unbelievable at times.

Overall, I found the book to be an enjoyable fast paced, easy read. I enjoyed the story line and I enjoyed the Portland area connection. I think if you are a member of this forum and you are reading this post chances are you will really enjoy this book!

To the author: go ahead and out yourself, you deserve to get the credit for a job well done!! Also, I hope you are hard at work on the sequel!

Saw these reviews on Brushfire Plague...planning to get it soon myself (as soon as I figure out how to make Amazon work - I am too much of a klutz to survive TEOTWAWKI)!

"Very well written, descriptive and character driven. Unlike some "prepper" novels i have read, this one had great detail, from the smells of a burning city to the inner thoughts of a man losing his wife, I was very impressed."--www.greatnorthernprepper.com

"The author does a very good job in exploring the characters responses and thought process without sounding corny or getting all weepy or emotional. And there is quite enough action that you never bog down in the other aspects. The story keeps you wanting more and the end is satisfying...Which I'll be buying if I don't get a review copy. That's how good the first one was..."--www.jamesmdakin.blogspot.com

I'm going to give it a try also. Joe Nobody's "Holding Your Ground" was thought provoking to say the least. I hope his recommendation is spot on.

Hey all,

I've gotten a way into B.P. now. Character development is excellent, as is the authors' ability to describe the settings.
Very believable senario.
I'll post my overall critique when I finish. Hopefully soon...pretty busy getting food and ammo stored up! :)

Be well,
Will

New reviews: "Doomsday fiction is the genre, and author R.P. Ruggiero checks in with an action-packed and realistic novel of what happens when a fast-moving and highly-lethal virus overwhelms suburban Portland, Oregon and the rest of the world. Lots to enjoy here, and lots to learn about prepping too, and how to handle yourself and the situations that unfold when society is breaking down from the effects of a relentless disaster. Grab a copy of the book and settle in for a great read. Thumbs up!"--www.shruggingitout.blogspot.com

"So it is my pleasure to recommend Brushfire Plague...Frankly, this book is a refreshing departure from the spate of "survivalist" books on the market...The book is written in a very engaging style...Mr. Ruggiero captures both the flaws and perfection of our human nature."--www.salvationandsurvival.com

"Brushfire Plague is riveting and fast paced. Once I picked it up, it was hard to put down. I appreciated the detailed descriptions of the early days of the pandemic and how quickly society started degrading. The book portrayed in a realistic manner how people would react to a sudden disaster: they start out being in denial and have trouble accepting that the lawlessness can reach through their nice neighborhood. At the same time, there is a ray of hope that in the face of tragedy: good people can unite and help each other survive." The Apartment Prepper's Blog | Family Preparedness in an Apartment Setting by Bernie Carr

Well, I burned through my copy of Brushfire Plague. There's just something about reading about your neighborhood turning into a war zone. Actually, it's not my neighborhood but close by. I need to think more about how to invade R.P. Ruggiero's part of town to take all their stuff... Just kidding! don't shoot!
Seriously, what Brushfire Plague does is think very concretely about what it would take to survive a society-crushing event, and not just in term of survival 'stuff' and preps. It makes the really true point that social relationships are what will get us through.

I read this book immediately after it was released. I LOVED it and the ending was great because it DID something that is not entirely common...it nicely wrapped up the main story line BUT.... kept the option (Need?) for a sequel wide open. I am hoping for a sequel soon. I would say that it is one of the top 5 books (or series) for post collapse fiction.
My faves .... Lights Out, Patriots(The book not the series), Holding Their ground (Series + his non fiction stuff), Half past Midnight, Grid Down Reality Bites.

His Clark Kent/Superman type instant transformation from a mild mannered traveling hardware supply salesman to a post apocalyptic, freedom fighting death dealer could be a little unbelievable at times.

"When you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing. "
John Rambo

"In R.P. Ruggiero's new apocalyptic novel Brushfire Plague, a highly contagious, lethal new virus is spreading across the world, forcing civilization to its knees. The virus is aptly named the Brushfire Plague after its ability to spread extremely fast and its very high mortality rate. In Brushfire Plague, there are no bugout locations and there is no safety. The virus attacks indiscriminately and kills fast. This apocalyptic story follows the early stages of a rapidly spreading pandemic and the violent beginnings of civil breakdown in suburban Portland, Oregon. Cooper, a combat veteran, is unable leave his recently buried wife and decides to make a stand at his suburban home. In an attempt to fend off the seemingly never-ending waves of violent incursions, Cooper works to organize his neighbors. With the help of his best friend and neighbor, Dranko, they are able to equip a small neighborhood defensive force. Right from the beginning of Brushfire Plague, violent threats are met with deadly force. R.P. Ruggiero presents a fight or die type of scenario that I suspect is quite similar to what it would be like in a war zone. With no time for deliberation, one must choose to stand up against those with harmful intent or be at their mercy. Brushfire Plague really captures the sense of panic and sadness that would undoubtedly accompany such a large-scale disaster. For an added twist, Cooper discovers that the plague may not be a random occurrence and may actually have its origins in a laboratory. Ruggiero has written a very entertaining apocalyptic novel that presents an entirely possible pandemic scenario through a cast of interesting and likeable characters. Bring on the sequel!"--www.apocalypticfiction.com

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top