JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
26 to the 6 merge. Continue foreward for a number of miles untill you see the brown sign for Brown's Camp. Turn left. Head right at the first fork, left at the second, right at the third. Continue foreward, the quarry will be on your left and very unmistakable.

And the conditions today were amazing. Clear and warm, no-one but me and my friend there for most of the time. It's trashy, but not overly so. I did pack out 90% of my brass and a bag of trash besides what I hauled in though.

26 to the 6 merge. Continue foreward for a number of miles untill you see the brown sign for Brown's Camp. Turn left. Head right at the first fork, left at the second, right at the third. Continue foreward, the quarry will be on your left and very unmistakable.

And the conditions today were amazing. Clear and warm, no-one but me and my friend there for most of the time. It's trashy, but not overly so. I did pack out 90% of my brass and a bag of trash besides what I hauled in though.

Were the roads driveable with a car or is it truck only at this point? I may have to go tomorrow.

Wow.. never doing a saturday up there again, place was nuts. almost hit a dirt biker coming in (he was cutting a blind corner) and then right after we got to the quarry some morons showed up and they kept trying to pick fights and talk crap.. They were from santa cruz. I have met some cool people up there in the past but it's not worth the hassle anymore, and having the sherriff sitting there taking down my plates makes me nervous.

My new vz24 shoots great though, we filled a bowling pin up with lead out at the far end of the quarry with iron sights, pretty happy with it.

and then right after we got to the quarry some morons showed up and they kept trying to pick fights and talk crap.and having the sherriff sitting there taking down my plates makes me nervous.

Who in their right mind tries to pick a fight at a gun range? Big bollocks mean little when 2lb can end the fight immediately.

And you're the second person mentioning the sheriff taking down plate numbers, that's not reassuring.

My wife and I were up shooting in the woods saturday also, we have
stopped going to the pit and have found several good areas off the Hwy past Browns / Rogers turn off about 1 mile on the right between milepost 30 & 31. Turn off is marked Drift Creek Rd and Larch Mountain it drops off the Hwy fast and crosses the river. Nothing I have found has the distance of the pit but there are several areas up there and have never had any issues with anyone else shooting near us.

My wife and I were up shooting in the woods saturday also, we have
stopped going to the pit and have found several good areas off the Hwy past Browns / Rogers turn off about 1 mile on the right between milepost 30 & 31. Turn off is marked Drift Creek Rd and Larch Mountain it drops off the Hwy fast and crosses the river. Nothing I have found has the distance of the pit but there are several areas up there and have never had any issues with anyone else shooting near us.

Do you need a truck in that area, or is it car friendly?

What a gorgeous day yesterday was, and what great folks were there! I sympathize with the people here who say "Don't go on a Saturday," but I have to say, Wednesday was as good as it gets.

Me and one other soul were shooting pistols at short range off to the left side, behind a tall dirt berm. The riflemen were using the whole 200 yds. of the main pit on the right side. Everybody was awake and safety-conscious, calling range safeties at regular intervals when we monkeyed with the targets. I must've spent nearly four hours there!

But the bad news came in the form of a ranger who told us all that the pit is going to be closed, permanently, and soon. They already bought the chain-link fencing, and plan to put it up any time now. He said that they simply don't have the money any more to pay for trash removal. The last time they incurred $7500 in dump fees!

So I said to the ranger, "Would you rather see this trash spread out all across Tillamook Forest, or have it concentrated in one place?" He agreed and said that that was the exact argument he used to try to convince his superiors, but to no avail.

I don't know what to say, except that maybe it was too good to last, and the "Tragedy of the Commons" had to catch up with us sooner or later. :(
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/tragedy-of-the-commons.html

But the bad news came in the form of a ranger who told us all that the pit is going to be closed, permanently, and soon. They already bought the chain-link fencing, and plan to put it up any time now. He said that they simply don't have the money any more to pay for trash removal. The last time they incurred $7500 in dump fees!

If this is true then I'm a pissed of mother-humper. Brown's was the only place besides yearly trips to the Bend area BLM that I go shooting. Nothing I own is even worth warming up at under 150y...and finding that is going to be hard.

What a gorgeous day yesterday was, and what great folks were there! I sympathize with the people here who say "Don't go on a Saturday," but I have to say, Wednesday was as good as it gets.

Me and one other soul were shooting pistols at short range off to the left side, behind a tall dirt berm. The riflemen were using the whole 200 yds. of the main pit on the right side. Everybody was awake and safety-conscious, calling range safeties at regular intervals when we monkeyed with the targets. I must've spent nearly four hours there!

So I said to the ranger, "Would you rather see this trash spread out all across Tillamook Forest, or have it concentrated in one place?" He agreed and said that that was the exact argument he used to try to convince his superiors, but to no avail.

I don't know what to say, except that maybe it was too good to last, and the "Tragedy of the Commons" had to catch up with us sooner or later. :(
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/tragedy-of-the-commons.html

This is too bad, a few of us were trying to make a difference up there but I guess we can't keep up with the dumpers....
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14471
Maybe if we all gang up on it and do it on a more regular basis then we could change their mind about the closure. Maybe it's not too late. Anybody else ready to get back up there for a cleanup?

To: BEALL Stephanie A
Subject: Browns Camp Gravel Pit

This was brought to our attention is there any truth to this?

"But the bad news came in the form of a ranger who told us all that the pit is going to be closed, permanently, and soon. They already bought the chain-link fencing, and plan to put it up any time now. He said that they simply don't have the money any more to pay for trash removal. The last time they incurred $7500 in dump fees!"

Hi Mike,

I just checked in with our Assistant District Forester and he assured me that there is no plan to fence off the Beaver Dam Rock Pit. Is there any more information than what’s listed below (where this happened, the name or description of the ranger)?

Thanks for the heads up!

Stephanie A. Beall

Recreation Coordinator

Tillamook State Forest

801 Gales Creek Road

Forest Grove, OR 97116

<broken link removed>

Maybe if we all gang up on it and do it on a more regular basis then we could change their mind about the closure. Maybe it's not too late. Anybody else ready to get back up there for a cleanup?

I try to leave with more than I bring in. Problem is with dumpsters who's definition of fun is to punch holes to a beat up appliance. I just can't pick up that kind of garbage.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top