JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was out there yesterday mourning at the quarry target shooting. I saw people riding quads and motorcycles but no tents or occupied camp sites. Hope that helps.

Lefty.

thanx man....I think i'm just gonna call the tillamook forestry place again tomorrow & go out there after work this week sometime too....guess i might as well bring the .308 while i'm at it!

I camp out there all the time. We just follow the roads till we find a secluded dead end, set up tents and fire and drink the night away. Never had a problem. I hadn't even considered that you weren't supposed to. I'll keep doing it till a ranger rousts me outta my sleeping bag and sends me packing.

Any of you Brown's camp visitors ever haul any garbage out of the quarry? It got really bad up there a couple years ago: "Esteemed members of the Shooting Community" had hauled up computer monitors, tv sets, etc., etc., to blast away at.

I went up there with buddies one weekend day, arrived at daybreak with two pickups and a 4 horse trailer and began picking the area up. Mid-morning here came some "Esteemed Members of the Shooting Community". They actually tried to ask us to get out of the way so they could shoot! We explained to them what we were doing and that we intended to continue to do it, and less than favorable words were the result: they were then "Steamed Members of the Shooting Community."

We were out of there in about 4 hours with all vehicles full. Cost us a bit at the landfill, but the warm fuzzy feeling was worth it.

I don't shoot there very often, but when I do, I haul out all I brought with the admitted possible exception of 22lr brass. Hope you all do the same. Thanks.

We went up monday after work to sight in the cetme and found a dead car upside down and full of bullet holes in the middle of the road leading to the quarry :(. It looks like the gate to the campground is open though.

I camp out there all the time. We just follow the roads till we find a secluded dead end, set up tents and fire and drink the night away. Never had a problem. I hadn't even considered that you weren't supposed to. I'll keep doing it till a ranger rousts me outta my sleeping bag and sends me packing.

You can legally camp anywhere withing TSF, just as long as you are not blocking a right of way. So any of the dead ends, wide areas, etc, are legal to camp in. Brown's Camp just gives you a more formal camp setting (with latrines and garbage collection) than you would get elsewhere.

we always do a 15 minute rule after shooting for clean up and this gets all of ours and alot of other peoples trash as well our 4-wheeling trails are being shut down all the time due to peoples trash, as if its cheaper to drive all the way out to the forest to dump there s@#$ instead of paying the small amount at the landfill not to mention the damage done to all of our images 4-wheelers ,hunters,gun culture,ext.

so this is a public campsite where u can shoot?

I know there are certain areas you can shoot; I'm not sure if you can shoot everywhere. And, although the Rangers have told me you can camp anywhere, much like any aspect of gun ownership, you should use your head (when selecting a campsite).

Even if it's legal, it doesn't make much sense to set up camp at one of the shooting areas. Between people who are careless and possible ricochets, I wouldn't even imagine camping within a few hundred yards of where someone was shooting regularly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top