Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Browning X Bolt, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by japcraplover89, Dec 29, 2012.

1. japcraplover89

japcraplover89 Orting, Washington Member

so i kinda bought a Browning Xbolt the other day from sportsmans, i think im getting a fair deal on it. kinda weird situation, the purchase application got pushed back by the FBI, and i am still waiting to hear back from them. i havent paid yet, so im wondering if i should change my rifle choice. Ive been reading reviews online and it sounds like not too many people are pleased with them. most people say they prefer the A Bolt and that the X Bolt feels too european? do any of you fellow NWFA-ers have anything to dd that would help me make my decision? i just dont wanna pay for the rifle and find out it isnt of $700 quality.

thanks,

Tyler.

2. Low N Slow

Low N Slow Stanwood, WA New Member

My X bolt is my favorite rifle, I like it better than my A bolt, so much so I just traded the A bolt for a Tikka

3. japcraplover89

well, i just got back from 'shopping' :thumbup: i cant wait to go shoot it!

4. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

The X-bolt is great, and there's nothing wrong with European rifles. They are often fast handling for running shots.

5. japcraplover89

so far from anything i can tell it feels great, i love the 60* bolt lift design, keeps the handle more than far enough away from interfering with the rear optic. it looks and feels sleek and i cant wait to go sight in. thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate it.

6. 4Given

4Given The Gorge Member

Did you get the composite or wood version? Also, what caliber?

I purchased a composite in .223 this year and love it. I also own 2 original A-Bolts; 7mm-08 wood stock and a composite stalker in 300 WM. These are great too.

Be sure and check out the Talley One Piece Ring-Bases. I'm in the process of switching all my rifles over to these.

Enjoy your new rig!!!

7. japcraplover89

i got the hunter series (wooden stock, matte blues barrel) in .270 cal. threw a vortex crossfire 4-12x40 scope on it with 1 piece DNZ rings.

8. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

My buddy recently bought a .308 stainless X-bolt with the plastic stock to replace a .30-06, and paid $900 if I recall. Browning uses a propriatary base and ring design so that cost extra. It is so light it kicks like a mule...which is contrary to the whole point of stepping down to the .308. I just bought a used Remington stainless SPS model 700 .30-06 off this website for $450, and was able to put on some spare bases and rings, since Remington's are sort of a universal standard and everyone seems to have parts for them. For half the price I have a rifle that kicks about the same and shoots one inch groups. No doubt the Browning has a smooth action, a really good trigger and the 60 degree lift is nice, but I still think I got a better rifle for a heck of a lot less money.

9. 4Given

4Given The Gorge Member

Sounds like a nice setup.

Jack O'Conner would be proud to own it!!!

10. japcraplover89

thanks man, and i am proud to own it. i cant wait till huntin season i might just have to test it out on some poor little coyotes before hand haha

11. japcraplover89

i paid right about $900 for my whole setup (gun scope bases and sling) the gun was on sale for $683 which was almost $100 cheaper than everywhere else. ive done the remington thing, nice guns for the most part and a legendary name, just wanted to switch it up a bit.

12. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

you did good, remington is a fine rifle ,but, much of the design is influenced by the ability to mass produce them cheaply and maximize profit. the a bolt seems to be a bit better fit and finish wise. The only guns I would take over it would be a classic model 70 or a weatherby mark v. Both a good deal pricier than your choice.

13. japcraplover89

definitely, i looked at the new model 70's also, it was a nice gun but around $100 more than the x bolt. and the mark v wasnt even an option for be due to the over $1k price.

14. Mr264

Mr264 Hillsbeaverton New Member

I have one in a stainless version. My only complaint is when installing loaded magazine requires a very hard push and a small fist slap to insure magazine is loaded into stock. This is a WSM and the fat round cartridge my be part of the problem. Other gun shoots sub .75 groups all day long.

15. japcraplover89

i wonder if ill notice that in the .270win? though i have played around with the mag a bit, loaded it and cycled through the shells, seemed pretty solid to me. i do with the mag was metal thus far though, seems to be about the only cheap part of the gun imo. although thats probably for weight reasons.