JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so i kinda bought a Browning Xbolt the other day from sportsmans, i think im getting a fair deal on it. kinda weird situation, the purchase application got pushed back by the FBI, and i am still waiting to hear back from them. i havent paid yet, so im wondering if i should change my rifle choice. Ive been reading reviews online and it sounds like not too many people are pleased with them. most people say they prefer the A Bolt and that the X Bolt feels too european? do any of you fellow NWFA-ers have anything to dd that would help me make my decision? i just dont wanna pay for the rifle and find out it isnt of $700 quality.

thanks,

Tyler.

so far from anything i can tell it feels great, i love the 60* bolt lift design, keeps the handle more than far enough away from interfering with the rear optic. it looks and feels sleek and i cant wait to go sight in. thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate it.

Did you get the composite or wood version? Also, what caliber?

I purchased a composite in .223 this year and love it. I also own 2 original A-Bolts; 7mm-08 wood stock and a composite stalker in 300 WM. These are great too.

Be sure and check out the Talley One Piece Ring-Bases. I'm in the process of switching all my rifles over to these.

Enjoy your new rig!!!

My buddy recently bought a .308 stainless X-bolt with the plastic stock to replace a .30-06, and paid $900 if I recall. Browning uses a propriatary base and ring design so that cost extra. It is so light it kicks like a mule...which is contrary to the whole point of stepping down to the .308. I just bought a used Remington stainless SPS model 700 .30-06 off this website for $450, and was able to put on some spare bases and rings, since Remington's are sort of a universal standard and everyone seems to have parts for them. For half the price I have a rifle that kicks about the same and shoots one inch groups. No doubt the Browning has a smooth action, a really good trigger and the 60 degree lift is nice, but I still think I got a better rifle for a heck of a lot less money.

My buddy recently bought a .308 stainless X-bolt with the plastic stock to replace a .30-06, and paid $900 if I recall. Browning uses a propriatary base and ring design so that cost extra. It is so light it kicks like a mule...which is contrary to the whole point of stepping down to the .308. I just bought a used Remington stainless SPS model 700 .30-06 off this website for $450, and was able to put on some spare bases and rings, since Remington's are sort of a universal standard and everyone seems to have parts for them. For half the price I have a rifle that kicks about the same and shoots one inch groups. No doubt the Browning has a smooth action, a really good trigger and the 60 degree lift is nice, but I still think I got a better rifle for a heck of a lot less money.
i paid right about $900 for my whole setup (gun scope bases and sling) the gun was on sale for $683 which was almost $100 cheaper than everywhere else. ive done the remington thing, nice guns for the most part and a legendary name, just wanted to switch it up a bit.

you did good, remington is a fine rifle ,but, much of the design is influenced by the ability to mass produce them cheaply and maximize profit. the a bolt seems to be a bit better fit and finish wise. The only guns I would take over it would be a classic model 70 or a weatherby mark v. Both a good deal pricier than your choice.

I have one in a stainless version. My only complaint is when installing loaded magazine requires a very hard push and a small fist slap to insure magazine is loaded into stock. This is a WSM and the fat round cartridge my be part of the problem. Other gun shoots sub .75 groups all day long.

i wonder if ill notice that in the .270win? though i have played around with the mag a bit, loaded it and cycled through the shells, seemed pretty solid to me. i do with the mag was metal thus far though, seems to be about the only cheap part of the gun imo. although thats probably for weight reasons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top